Tony Bergeron

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Tony Bergeron

Post by eldonabe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:29 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:13 pm Been watching this situation play out and as a former player thought I’d give my 2 cents. UMass Basketball and UMass in general
has always been looked down upon by the rest of the state and all the private and elite academic institutions in NE. To them we are that place out in Amherst and when we have a problem they love putting us on the news or have the Boston Globe take some shots at us. We in their minds are second rate. Now we are trying to turn this basketball program around and we have rumors anD problems in a hand shake line turned against us and we have Matt McCall being put at odds with Tony Bergeron in public forums. This is wrong and we need to close ranks and say the hell with this nonsense.
UMass Basketball has a history of fighting for relevance in the NE basketball landscape. It goes back years to Matt Zunic, Johnny Orr and Jack Leaman. Providence, BC, Holy Cross, UConn and URI always thought they were better then us. Dave Gavitt, Dee Rowe and all the other so called basketball greats were amazed when little old UMass with their dirty little Cage started beating them regularly and beating them badly. A kid named Julius Erving was even considered better then anyone they had. Then Jack Leaman put together a string of teams that would dominate UConn and URI in their conference. Then Calipari comes along and challenges the establishment and with Marcus Camby takes us on a ride on the National Stage. They tried to everything they could to bring Cal down including “rumors” about him as an Assistant @ Pitt and recruiting against Lou Carnessca and saying bad things to recruits. Also that he was cheating to get players. Camby going to UMass drove UConn and Calhoun crazy. Then there is the incident with Chaney attacking Coach Cal. If you think what UMass Basketball is trying to do is easy your are mistaken college basketball is a brutal and cut throat business and once they get you down it takes a total commitment from everyone to climb back out of it. The only way you do that is together and be committed to one another and to the University. UMass has a tremendous history as an underdog but it also has had a glorious history with hard working coaches, great players (guys who are NBA stars) and fans that only want to see a winning team that competes every play on every night. UMass has always had blue collar people and that is our DNA - so what if we upset the apple cart and shake things up a bit. They really don’t care about us we are that place out in Western MA . Well we have had our great moments and we took it to them with “Refuse to Lose” and now is the time to dig in and stay together and get the program to where we have good kids that play hard and give you everything they got every play every night. You have to earn it and it is fun watching Hockey represent the University with class just like it’s always great to see our Marching Band represent us with class and to see our UMass Dining Service ranked #1. We will get there but it’s going to be a battle but you have to close ranks and stay together.
Good read Tom but you gotta work on your spacing brah :wink:

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:44 pm

^
Coach McLaughlin always manages to bring both sanity and inspiration whenever he posts here.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:20 pm

I agree with tom 100%! I also love Joleon's post in the 2019-20 season thread:
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm Shocking that some jerk on a Dayton or urine message board would post negative info about the staff or start rumors based on their “special” inside info. Fuck these guys. When UMass is beating their ass in the next two years we’ll all understand much better why they were nervous and full of shit.

Glad TB gives it back.
I like our team to play with that edge! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:32 pm

All this crap does is prove that other teams have taken notice, and see us as a potential threat in the future. I agree, fuck 'em, keep it tight and play for each other. Teams only notice you when you're doing good things. Just keep playing and ignore all the noise
Time to Win

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:54 pm

We need some swagger. Chaz and Put had Swagger. Not many since have. Some of Dk's last class were a bit too full of swagger for their own good too early.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:00 pm

TheInsider wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:12 am It's not like TB is the first AAU/Prep coach ever to be hired for recruiting connections. It's a smart move.. after all it's about talent on the floor.. DK made it to the NCAA not because hes a fantastic college coach, he made it because he had superior talent on the floor.
That’s being easy on Kellogg. He was one of the worst in game coaches I’ve ever seen.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm

MassMan06 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 am Someone here must have been near the bench when TB apparently told MM to shut up, no?
That didn’t happen

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm

To take this rambling thread a little further off course....

Thanks, as always, to Tom for some glimpses of past good times. But there usually is little said about our transition to the A-10.

So here is a brief history that does a decent job of filling in the gap from the Yankee Conference to the A-10 for our yutes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... lantic_10/

I've often wondered if football could have been raised to the higher level at this time and wondered where that might have taken us. Granted, who knows what effect that might have had on Calipari showing up. Also I don't recall the timeline for getting the Mullins Center from the drawing board to reality. But I digress...

I'm happy we have Bergeron here, especially if he can continue to get some hungry talent here. I'm even more happy that there is some swagger coming back. I'm kinda tired of the disingenuous handshake line one minute after you were ready to knock the other guy into next week, so if a scuffle breaks out, I'm good with that. I got the feeling that our current guys aren't gonna be satisfied with disrespect for their brothers. And I got the feeling they aren't gonna be satisfied with mediocrity.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 pm

^well said harbo, I’m with you. The fight and pride Bergeron is bringing for his squad, in his first year is only a positive.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:25 pm

inthescoop wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 pm ^well said harbo, I’m with you. The fight and pride Bergeron is bringing for his squad, in his first year is only a positive.
Me too. Bergeron talks about bringing championships back to UMass. That’s the mentality I want, those are the types of players I want. I get so disgusted by the long list of excuses, hard to recruit to western mass blah blah blah. No one cares about poor us in western mass, tears flowing. In fact we had a dominant team that won multiple A10 championships over a decade of excellence with less resources, worse facilities. This can be done and it isn’t a theory, it’s proven!

If it takes a scuffle or two I don’t mind the broken glass. I’m sick of mediocrity, sick of UMass irrelevance on the basketball scene and want us to reclaim our rightful place at the top. Yes our rightful, screw everyone else, we should OWN the Atlantic 10 place at the top. And all those pissant opponents with their sad little stories can go f&$# off.

Give me the guys who want that badly and we will be fine.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:30 am

I almost hate to revive this thread but that's what we do here. I think we can put the "feud" to bed. MM in is post game and on Jay's podcast gave credit to Tony for working with Djery to improve his offensive game. It was unsolicited so it was either genuine or he was trying to send a message to all of us conspiracy theorists.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 am

^

Good, hopefully that squashes that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 pm

It was awesome to see Djery have the game he had against Mason. He's such a big, strong kid and he played so aggressively. Practicing against Tre I'm sure has helped him, and it was great to see Tre up and cheering on Djery sunday. Keep it going Djery!
Time to Win

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:27 pm

^ Like the saying goes...team work makes the dream work!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm with Coach McLaughlin - we need to get that chip back on our shoulders! As for Djery, it was easy to see that somebody had been helping him with his offensive moves in the post. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that it was Tony.