Tony Bergeron

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Re: Tony Bergeron

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 am

It’s some random person mouthing off on a message board. There’s a twitter account allegedly shared by different college basketball “insiders” that has been echoing the same stuff, could very well be the same person. That Twitter account occasionally attacks McCall and has said some stuff about TB before too, so clearly there is at least one person out there who really hates our coaches.

We have one “insider” on this board who has earned our trust over the past 2 years, and until he co-signs these new rumors, they’re just rumors.

If TB is such a scumbag, why did the Toppins have their son play for him? Not like Obi Toppins kid brother couldn’t go play at whatever prep school he wanted. The Weeks family is another well established family that trusted TB with their kid. The kids TB has brought with him all seem high character.

Not saying there is 0 truth to this stuff, but you can’t expect everyone to take this stuff at face value until there’s some actual evidence.

It seems clear this “info” is coming from someone close to the Toppins, but then how do they know what’s being said behind closed doors in the UMass program? Cormier? Only logical person if you believe any of this.

Clearly TB is a little rough around the edges, and you gotta wonder why it’s taken him so long to break into the college ranks considering his success with big time players in high school. I hope all the rumors aren’t 100% true. But don’t start turning on the guy because of rumors without a name behind them, and clearly coming from someone with a personal vendetta.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:47 am

I remember a while ago there we heard a few things about TB when he got hired. I dont remember exactly but it was something like "he has a strong personality and it may or may not go well". But I agree with what's said above. Sounds like someone with a vendetta. Why would half his team follow him to his next school.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

Never a dull moment at least.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

The feelings people have for him may be real, however the poster there really lost credibility with details for me. The feelings may also be grounded in some truth. But, Basketball coaches have literally nothing to do with the paperwork aspects of college applications. There is no way a coach controls the release of transcripts. That is a clerical job and may fall under the purview of an administrator.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:54 am

I do not recall even a whisper of MM almost getting canned in the last month - WTF is this guy talking about?
In Matt McCall I trust!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:10 am

^^^ yup.. someone here would have heard that. RB isn't gonna can the guy halfway through the first season where he blows up the staff and the roster.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 am

That account - @CoachingChanges - has had it out for Bamford since the DK firing (like a lot of people). The slammed McCall when all of the assistants were let go this past offseason and now they're back at it essentially copying and pasting from a Dayton message board. At least when I shared it I acknowledged it wasn't concrete :lol:.

I don't doubt for a second that some of this might be true, particularly the stuff about wanting Toppin to come to UMass with him and the others and some type of shenanigans following him choosing URI. Do I think he withheld transcripts? No, I don't even know how he would do that and if he did that would have been a much bigger deal that people would have heard about before right now.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:48 am

Unfortunately college basketball coaches and politicians play in the same sandbox far too often....
In Matt McCall I trust!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm

This soap opera could be on tv m-f at 2, "As The Ball Rolls" :roll:

I'd say Let it go, Let it go, Let it goooo!
The E sho, best show in town

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:24 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 am
That account - @CoachingChanges - has had it out for Bamford since the DK firing (like a lot of people). The slammed McCall when all of the assistants were let go this past offseason and now they're back at it essentially copying and pasting from a Dayton message board. At least when I shared it I acknowledged it wasn't concrete :lol:.

I don't doubt for a second that some of this might be true, particularly the stuff about wanting Toppin to come to UMass with him and the others and some type of shenanigans following him choosing URI. Do I think he withheld transcripts? No, I don't even know how he would do that and if he did that would have been a much bigger deal that people would have heard about before right now.
I do not chime in often anymore, but the first assumption about @CoachingChanges is completely untrue, has always been anti-DK. Tried to find some older ones but I do not know how to search Twitter well, but one example:

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/sta ... 30274?s=20

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm

^ Coaching Changes isn't one person, a whole slew of people have access to the account and post from it, and they may have different information, or even different agendas.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 am

Someone here must have been near the bench when TB apparently told MM to shut up, no?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:45 am

I sit right across from the bench. Too far to hear anything but I have a good view of the interactions on the bench. I'll be watching carefully on Sunday.

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:04 am

Winning would wipe out a lot of this drama. I was watching ESPN’s college game day at Kansas the first game after the fight with KSU. One of the commentators dared to suggest that Kansas players were in the wrong and the entire crowd booed. It wasn’t appropriate but it certainly tells you something about closing ranks. By comparison, here we are questioning our own staff and seriously entertaining rumors spread by the enemy. I would also point out that this entire ‘urine dust up’ discussion is parked with a thread originally started to pit McCall against TB for fan support. I’d love to see Mike delete the entire “TB” thread rather than leave for the vultures to pick away at.

tom mclaughlin
Sophomore

Post by tom mclaughlin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:13 pm

Been watching this situation play out and as a former player thought I’d give my 2 cents. UMass Basketball and UMass in general
has always been looked down upon by the rest of the state and all the private and elite academic institutions in NE. To them we are that place out in Amherst and when we have a problem they love putting us on the news or have the Boston Globe take some shots at us. We in their minds are second rate. Now we are trying to turn this basketball program around and we have rumors anD problems in a hand shake line turned against us and we have Matt McCall being put at odds with Tony Bergeron in public forums. This is wrong and we need to close ranks and say the hell with this nonsense.
UMass Basketball has a history of fighting for relevance in the NE basketball landscape. It goes back years to Matt Zunic, Johnny Orr and Jack Leaman. Providence, BC, Holy Cross, UConn and URI always thought they were better then us. Dave Gavitt, Dee Rowe and all the other so called basketball greats were amazed when little old UMass with their dirty little Cage started beating them regularly and beating them badly. A kid named Julius Erving was even considered better then anyone they had. Then Jack Leaman put together a string of teams that would dominate UConn and URI in their conference. Then Calipari comes along and challenges the establishment and with Marcus Camby takes us on a ride on the National Stage. They tried to everything they could to bring Cal down including “rumors” about him as an Assistant @ Pitt and recruiting against Lou Carnessca and saying bad things to recruits. Also that he was cheating to get players. Camby going to UMass drove UConn and Calhoun crazy. Then there is the incident with Chaney attacking Coach Cal. If you think what UMass Basketball is trying to do is easy your are mistaken college basketball is a brutal and cut throat business and once they get you down it takes a total commitment from everyone to climb back out of it. The only way you do that is together and be committed to one another and to the University. UMass has a tremendous history as an underdog but it also has had a glorious history with hard working coaches, great players (guys who are NBA stars) and fans that only want to see a winning team that competes every play on every night. UMass has always had blue collar people and that is our DNA - so what if we upset the apple cart and shake things up a bit. They really don’t care about us we are that place out in Western MA . Well we have had our great moments and we took it to them with “Refuse to Lose” and now is the time to dig in and stay together and get the program to where we have good kids that play hard and give you everything they got every play every night. You have to earn it and it is fun watching Hockey represent the University with class just like it’s always great to see our Marching Band represent us with class and to see our UMass Dining Service ranked #1. We will get there but it’s going to be a battle but you have to close ranks and stay together.