Tony Bergeron

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
vanmeter
Senior

Tony Bergeron

Post by vanmeter » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:50 pm

Tony has done so much to get this program back.
Bringing in solid talent and good ‘culture’ players.
Tre Mitchell, TJ Weeks, Preston Santos, and Walker.
I haven’t been this optimistic about the program in years.

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Re: Tony Bergeron

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 pm

Damn that “bad coach and poor hire” for recognizing and hiring himself a good assistant.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 am

Didn't all those guys come from the program he coached and consequently already have a very strong relationship with each?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:41 am

MassMan06 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 am
Didn't all those guys come from the program he coached and consequently already have a very strong relationship with each?

Yep.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:12 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 pm
Damn that “bad coach and poor hire” for recognizing and hiring himself a good assistant.
He didn't make those choices...... MM makes terrible decisions... remember? :twisted:
In Matt McCall I trust!

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:05 am

McCall should put Tony in his will.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Great job by Bergeron bringing in these players, and great job coaching them in prep school and getting them ready for D1 hoops.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:33 pm

vanmeter wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:05 am
McCall should put Tony in his will.
Interesting. Was Tony a bad coach and bad hire after the GW game? Or just McCall? Credit and “optimism” for TB when things go well and blame on McCall when things go poorly is your apparent formula. Could you be any more disingenuous? You don’t like the head coach. That’s been well established. But a post like that is some weak, passive aggressive stuff. McCall sets the tone and pulls the trigger; McCall landed Pierre, Samba, Clergeot, and others that weren’t connected to TB; McCall embraced the Woodstock strategy; McCall hired and entrusts Tony and Tyson. When Carl Pierre and Tre Mitchell left the court last night they acknowledged and celebrated with McCall. The respect seems clear. McCall routinely credits TB for his good work. He knows he benefits from having him on board as a coach and recruiter. He is a critical part of the program, a program McCall leads. These guys seem to buy into the full culture- staff, team, program- not the division that appears attractive to you. What a petty post to make after a nice promising win, especially if you are truly optimistic.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:36 pm

It only matters to me that the kids play really hard the entire game and that is on the head coach. Period. They need to learn that unless they play with toughness and all out effort they will never reach their potential. That’s on McCall because he sets the standards for the players. Last night was ok but not enough IMHO. They better defend and rebound better or they will lose more games than they win. St. Joe’s is horrible. Also better shot selection would help although it was better last night.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:33 pm

^
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm

I don't disagree with that sentiment. Good and bad, it does come down to the head coach (although I do think you need account for the incredibly important role good assistant coaches like TB and Tyson can play), which is why vanmeter’s notion that it is all about TB is so absurd. But, hey, we are coming off two wins and improved play and when you’ve invested yourself in “he is a bad coach and a bad hire” you need an alternative explanation if you are too ever quietly drift back during better times.

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:52 am

Let me be blunt:

I very much like Tony Bergeron and what he is doing for the program.

I do not think McCall is a good coach. I give him credit for getting Tony, but if Tony is not here Tre Mitchell is certainly not here and McCall is gone after this year.

Jo Leon you like McCall and that is your right. It is also my right to think he is a poor coach.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:12 am

It's not like TB is the first AAU/Prep coach ever to be hired for recruiting connections. It's a smart move.. after all it's about talent on the floor.. DK made it to the NCAA not because hes a fantastic college coach, he made it because he had superior talent on the floor.

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:58 am

vanmeter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:52 am
Let me be blunt:

I very much like Tony Bergeron and what he is doing for the program.

I do not think McCall is a good coach. I give him credit for getting Tony, but if Tony is not here Tre Mitchell is certainly not here and McCall is gone after this year.

Jo Leon you like McCall and that is your right. It is also my right to think he is a poor coach.
It is absolutely your right. And whether I like McCall or not is besides the point. I certainly don’t like his W/L record to date and I have at times been both positive and critical of him. Rather what I am choosing to highlight is the CLEAR intellectual dishonesty of some of his sharpest critics here, including you. Others have managed to express their negative opinions of his coaching without demonstrating hypocrisy or what appears to be a longstanding personal edge to their comments.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:08 am

TheInsider wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:12 am
It's not like TB is the first AAU/Prep coach ever to be hired for recruiting connections. It's a smart move.. after all it's about talent on the floor.. DK made it to the NCAA not because hes a fantastic college coach, he made it because he had superior talent on the floor.
Bingo!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades