Game 18, 2019-20: George Washington (1/18)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
bobolink
Junior

Re: Game 18, 2019-20: George Washington (1/18)

Post by bobolink » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Jackson96 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:48 am
Count me in the give Kolton more minutes at the point with East moving off the ball more camp. East has had his moments this year but I think as the season has gone on he’s struggled to find much consistency and that early season flash of efficiency (limited turnovers and shooting %’s over the moon) has really disappeared — he is shooting 37% and averaging almost 4 turnovers a game over the last 14 games.

I think Mitchell — despite his limitations — might help tighten up the offense. Don’t think you can play him a ton with Keon (especially with Samba out there) as the offense would be really rough even if the defense was improved. Maybe moving East off ball will help him get back to being more efficient, although my concerns there are he seems to struggle against teams that can match his size or are more athletic and have the smarts to stay in front of him with his quirky game.

I don’t know — I think it’s clear we need more talent in terms of creating offense. We’ve really struggled at that end as of late. I think Mitchell is ideally a good bench/energy guy but at this point he’s probably a better choice than East who — while he he still has his moments — has both regressed quite a bit and is very inconsistent.

Defensively Mitchell is clearly much better than East but I haven’t really addressed that end of the floor because I’m at a bit of a loss. Our press isn’t good. Our halfcourt d isn’t good. We haven’t been good at that end in a long (I hate when people use extra letters to emphasize a word but if I were ever going to do it this would be the spot where I add a few o’s and n’s) time. Yes we are young but fuck, man, we are not getting better.

I don’t know. I think of the young guys Tre Mitchell and TJ can clearly be starters on A10 contenders but I think the others are probably bench guys in the long run. Kolton and Santos for sure unless their offense really improves and depending on the rest of the lineup. East I don’t know — he needs to get more consistent on offense and just plain better on defense. Dibaji I think needs time but wow maybe some folks should have slowed their roll on him. CJ haven’t seen enough of.

As for the coaching, I’m not ready to say I’ve seen enough of McCall as other folks are but I am really discouraged at the moment. Two areas where everyone was hoping he’d provide a lot — player development and the team getting better as seasons wore on — have been pretty shitty.

I don’t really know what McCall does well as a coach. In that first season here, I thought he was pretty good as an offensive coach and he overall got his team to play pretty hard and compete even when they were outmanned. Last year was a complete shitshow but because of the nature of the shitshow and the “reset” for this year, I want to be patient with McCall. But now just seeing the lack of progress and improvement, I am discouraged.

This GW game was pretty shocking and I think it’s going to be either the real beginning of the end for McCall or it’s going to be the cold water to the face that helped wake things up. I’d love to say I think it’s going to be the latter, but I don’t.

Not sure — especially without TJ — how much of a lift we will see offensively here, so I’ll be happy with some development from the kids and then getting better on defense.

Fuck it’s hard to be a fan of this program.
agree totally, although I'm unsure whether Sean should be given the chance play out of this rut or needs to sit more. Not sold on Kolton, given the dilemma of desperately needing improved defense but needing offense about as badly. Grasping at straws for positives from yesterday, perhaps we can see Dibaji not just hoisting 3s, where his % is atrocious, but going inside where few A-10 guards should bother his shot. Also looking back at GW's performances lately, they may be better than we thought. But our coaching seems to be failing in preparation. How opponents can score again and again the same way and on inbounding plays is hard to forgive.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Any thoughts on why only 25 minutes for Samba yesterday? Kid just had a few double/ double games and he sat a lot of the game.
The E sho, best show in town

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 pm

Floyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:29 pm
Any thoughts on why only 25 minutes for Samba yesterday? Kid just had a few double/ double games and he sat a lot of the game.
My guess is Dibaji was in there for offense when a Tre was on the bench. Making not having Tre in even more insane. Putting Tre in would have allowed Samba to be in there more too.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:34 pm

km109 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:30 pm
Maybe the most depressing loss of the year. They could have had TJ and his dad in his prime and they still would have lost by at least a dozen.

The decision to leave Tre on the bench as they went down 16 at the half was infuriating. This isn't a team that's going to come back from a 16 point second half deficit too damn often.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm

At this point competing for any type of postseason is pretty much done. Next year there needs to be a big leap. You have Carl as a SR, Samba and Dibaji as JRs and this freshmen class will have a year of experience at the college level. At this point all I want to see is McCall experiment with different lineup combinations and start prepping for next season: have the freshmen get minutes as well as Dibaji to get back in the flow of things. Tinker with the offense and defense and try to find things that work because at this point whatever the plan has been clearly isn’t working. It sucks that this is yet another lost season for the program but at least do something that may payoff for next year and treat this as a 12 game head start on next season

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:47 pm

jrdupe wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 pm
I think Kolton, if healthy, is the point guard.
Just my opinion, but Kolton will only work as the PG if we have Carl and TJ in there with him. He can't (and won't) shoot. With just Carl in the game with Kolton, they will deny Carl the ball and be in his face every time he wants to shoot. Our offense is so challenged without TJ (and Sy).

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:21 pm

We dropped 26 rpi points, not that it really matters at this point.

Battle Ax
Sophomore

Post by Battle Ax » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:54 pm

Almontis wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:17 am
Battle Ax wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:43 pm
Almontis wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:28 pm

I don't know. There seems to be some preparedness and a gameplan, but it's not often effective, and more concerning, it's almost always run with a real lack of force.

At this point, I'm in favor of Tony taking over. McCall doesn't seem to bring much to the table for what he's being paid.
What makes you think Tony would do any better? It’s his defense they are running.
I think Tony can do better for the following reasons:

1. He has a long track record of success as a head coach;
2. He's from Springfield.

More to the point, the program needs some continuity, and I'm becoming convinced McCall's not the guy. Tony is bringing in the talent. To blame Tony for the defensive deficiencies doesn't hit the mark. When was he hired, June? The vast majority of high level talent is committed by then. And it's been a while now since we've had perimeter players who can consistently contain dribble penetration. This is either because (1) we don't have guards who can guard their position; (2) they're not being adequately coached; or (3) they're checking out and don't care. It all falls on the head coach. We appear to be bringing in backcourt players who can play defense next year. It's also inarguable we'd benefit from a rim running big. We'll see how that shakes out. The defense will improve.

I'm also tired of hearing about the culture. GW was making national headlines not too long ago because of their "culture" - not in a good way. Jamion Christian in his first year took his guys to Amherst and throttled us. They're certainly not a roster of 3 and 4 star recruits. What sort of magic has he employed to change the "culture" so quickly?

I'll be hard pressed to make the drive to Amherst again this year.
1. The program needs stability and Bergeron seems to be always chasing the shiny new penny
2. Kellogg was from Springfield
3. 😂

bdance
Junior

Post by bdance » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:44 pm

Fool me 800 times, shame on me.

First game since the DK era finally ended. Looked like the same old same old. Life is way too short for this crap, OUT. I need a Pioneer Valley fix you’ll find me at the Green River Fest.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:18 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 pm
Floyd wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:29 pm
My guess is Dibaji was in there for offense when a Tre was on the bench. Making not having Tre in even more insane. Putting Tre in would have allowed Samba to be in there more too.
I have no idea why they refused to try Samba at the 5 with Tre on the bench. Albeit, Tre should not have sat the entire first half. The fact he ended the game with the same 2 fouls would be hilarious if the game wasn't so damn tragic.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:02 pm

I don't mind sitting Tre. It's what coaches do. You don't want Tre picking up 3 fouls in the first half. But I totally agree, why not try Samba at the 5. You could at least run your offense that way. Djery is a walking turnover.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm

^And this is the reason why you need another big that is more than a 5-10 minute spot player.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:43 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:02 pm
I don't mind sitting Tre. It's what coaches do. You don't want Tre picking up 3 fouls in the first half. But I totally agree, why not try Samba at the 5. You could at least run your offense that way. Djery is a walking turnover.
I don't know len. You're down big and you sit your best player so that he MIGHT not be in foul trouble at the end? You don't worry about the end of the fight if you're getting your ass kicked at the beginning. If its close, maybe, but not when you're already getting toasted. If he had 3, ok I could see it. And then if Tre sits, sit Samba too and your 2 best rebounders are sitting while you get thrashed? If you want Dibaji out there for scoring, put him out there with Carl, Sean, Samba & Djery and you still should have some rebounding, size, and offense.
Sitting both Samba & Tre together hurt us.
The E sho, best show in town