2020-21 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 am

69MG wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:47 pm Food for thought. Who starts, who are the key reserves and who is at the end of the bench? I know I've been tempted to try to figure this out. Love to hear comments about this guy's take on the season. My main hope is that there is a season.

https://www.umassdynasty.com/post/umass ... 0017880442

Oh great, now we're going to have to listen to the people telling us none of this matters, it's a waste of time, etc. Thanks a lot, 69! :lol:

With that said, I think they are probably spot on on the rotation and depth-chart. Who knows on the minutes but I think the assessment is fair.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Ronnie DeGray looked the best of the four new freshman in the games I watched. I think he's gonna be an important part of the rotation. I don't see Dominguez getting many minutes given the limitations in his game, although I hope he gets on the court enough to keep his 3pt shot in its groove. I also think Buggs will get minutes from the start of the season (if and when that might be). He will have had a year to recover from his injury, which is typical for the ACL. I do think it will take him until the conference season to fully recover his level of play.

edit: Also, it was reported in the media that the NCAA decided not to eliminate the transfer red-shirt requirement. I think that made sense given that there may not even be a season this year. There's gonna be enough craziness figuring out player's eligibilities if there's no season without the added twist. I don't think Fernandes will get an individual waiver even though there was a bit of a mass exodus. No one's gonna be accusing Gregg Marshall of incompetence or malfeasance.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:05 pm

rsox1221 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 am
natwam2547 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:48 am So right now we have 8 confirmed OOC games.

2 in the 2020 Jamaica Classic
Wake Forest
UNC Greensboro
Missouri State

The 2019 Jamaica classic featured 8 teams, including URI. Like most tournaments it looks like it was broken up into 4 and 4. URI played North Texas and LSU in Jamaica, and Nicholls at home before Jamaica. So I wonder if Umass will play 1-2 tournament games at home against lower-tier teams like they did last year with CCSU and Rider.

Northeastern (Away)
Harvard (Home)
UCF (Away)
Sacred Heart (Home)
Rutgers (Home)
Bryant (Home)

Still a possibility to play Umass-Lowell, Akron, Fairfield and Yale as well.

Last year they played 13 OOC games so still a few left to be scheduled.
They are guaranteed playing ULowell (H) and Yale (A) this coming season, Bamford has mentioned those games on a few occasions.

Fairfield at home might get pushed a year but it's very possible they are playing them this coming season as well, particularly with the emphasis on local OOC games amidst COVID.

They are supposed to play Akron at home but that's a game I could see getting pushed since Akron may not want to travel to MA this year. That said, UMass is traveling to UCF for an OOC game so Akron could come to MA if they elect to.
Well you can scrap that Yale game. Unless that gets slotted into the post New Years Day last non-conference game slot.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:09 am

natwam2547 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:05 pm
rsox1221 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 am
natwam2547 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:48 am So right now we have 8 confirmed OOC games.

2 in the 2020 Jamaica Classic
Wake Forest
UNC Greensboro
Missouri State

The 2019 Jamaica classic featured 8 teams, including URI. Like most tournaments it looks like it was broken up into 4 and 4. URI played North Texas and LSU in Jamaica, and Nicholls at home before Jamaica. So I wonder if Umass will play 1-2 tournament games at home against lower-tier teams like they did last year with CCSU and Rider.

Northeastern (Away)
Harvard (Home)
UCF (Away)
Sacred Heart (Home)
Rutgers (Home)
Bryant (Home)

Still a possibility to play Umass-Lowell, Akron, Fairfield and Yale as well.

Last year they played 13 OOC games so still a few left to be scheduled.
They are guaranteed playing ULowell (H) and Yale (A) this coming season, Bamford has mentioned those games on a few occasions.

Fairfield at home might get pushed a year but it's very possible they are playing them this coming season as well, particularly with the emphasis on local OOC games amidst COVID.

They are supposed to play Akron at home but that's a game I could see getting pushed since Akron may not want to travel to MA this year. That said, UMass is traveling to UCF for an OOC game so Akron could come to MA if they elect to.
Well you can scrap that Yale game. Unless that gets slotted into the post New Years Day last non-conference game slot.
Harvard is out too. There is still so much up in the air about fall and winter sports' seasons, we could see conference-only, we could see forced regional non-conference, or worse another postponement/cancellation. The NCAA and its member schools are going to have to try and get on the same page here pretty soon

umass2msu
Junior

Post by umass2msu » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 am

According to UMass bball IG account we play StL, GM, URI, LaS, and Ford twice.
Away: Duq, VCU, GW, STJ
Home: Day, Dav, Rich, StB

While I'm not a fan of playing LaSalle and Fordham twice I do like how this plays out if we have a season. If we can sweep LaSalle and Fordham (which for some reason play us really well) and maybe StL as we match up well against them we'll be in good shape. URI should be a split, and GM I have no idea so we'll say split.
Away- tough to win on the road but have to beat GW and STJ. VCU and Duq will be touch.
Home- you always want to win at home but Rich will be tough.
If Weeks comes back like November Weeks and Pierre gets his touch again. Santos improves, Kolton gets a lil more offensive confidence, TM at least keeps the same level if not better than we got a good shot at the big dance. NIT is the bar but NCAA is obviously the goal!
Yes I am a Minuteman!! Best 60 seconds of your life!!

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 pm

First impression is this is a favorable schedule for Wins, if not for NET ratings (which could be hard to get if the season starts in, say, January). Of the 6 teams that look toughest, we get 5 at home, only StL and Duq on the road, and only StL twice. Road wins are always hard to come by; LaS, Ford, and STJ seem like the road gyms most likely to yield a W, and all those are on the schedule. No trips to Olean, Richmond, Davidson or Dayton (all very tough places to win).

Looking at who we'd have to beat in standings, Davidson, Dayton and GMU get easier than average on-paper schedules, Duq and GW have it tough. URI kind of neutral. Many team's schedules are hard to figure, such as StL, who plays twice against several good teams (Dayton, Richmond, Bona), have their easiest opponents on the road (Fordham, GW, Saint Joe's, VCU) and get tougher teams to come to their place (Davidson, Duquesne, GMU). Is it best to play the better teams twice or get them once at home?

Full schedule here:
https://atlantic10.com/news/2020/7/30/a ... eason.aspx

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Just a reminder of what the players are going through. Let's hope they all were smart about their behavior and they can all get here on schedule. I'm so looking forward to this season and pray we have one.
Ronnie DeGray IIISnowflake
@Ronnie_DeGray23
Aug 3
I gotta take a Covid 19 test today so I can go to Massachusetts...just to take it again when I get on campus.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 pm

I'm with ya 69, sooo looking forward to UMass hoop this year. But I'm starting to really think this program is jinxed. We finally get a somewhat settled team with some balance, chemistry, talent, depth, and a bonafide face of the program star in Tre Mitchell, and Covid 19 hits and we may not have a normal season. Total kick to the grapes
Time to Win

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:41 am

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:28 pm

^ Nice facial expression, Luka Garza.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:56 pm

Buggs in the portal. A dollar says some good Fernandes news might be on its way

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:21 pm

I thought this might happen. Best of luck to JB.

HOPEFULLY, we will know soon what the deal is.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:08 pm

It's not surprising, especially if Noah gets his waiver. We have a lot of guards, maybe not a lot of PT for him. I'll miss him though. He seems like a great kid and a great teammate. Best of luck JB, wherever you end up.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:40 pm

Effing roller coaster
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:50 pm

JBuggs reminded me a lot of Rigo. Always upbeat, always behind his teamates, and a genuinely likeable kid. Hope he's healthy enough to go somewhere and play, and has a nice college career. I like the kid
Time to Win