2020-21 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
bobolink
Junior

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by bobolink » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:27 pm

capezona wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:58 pm
For purposes of discussion, I've rated new guys with the guys leaving as improving, declining or no overall change. Clearly I'm looking at guys who have played here vs. those who haven't so it's not a fair assessment, and they might not be accurate pairings. Just conjecture... and I'm bored.

Baptiste / Gasperini ↔↑ (slight improvement)
Jackson / McCrory ↑ (improvement)
Clergeot / Garcia ↔↑
East / Fernandes ↔↓ (slight drop)
Diallo / Dominguez ↑
Chatman / DeGray ↑
Another way of thinking through the changes listed is through my old-fashioned lens of Center, forwards and guards. Most of us think Gasperini should be a slight improvement over Baptiste. That improvement may show because Gasperini could play PF or otherwise effectively be on court with Tre.

For forwards, you lose Chatman, who wasn't around much, and Diallo,a strong rebounder and solid defender. You gain DeGray, McCrory and Dominguez. It's unclear any of these freshman individually will be better than Samba would have been as a junior, but the 3 of them together seem way better, certainly adding depth and offense. Any of the 3 may emerge as better than Samba would have been as a junior, but then again Dibaji or Preston may improve enough so the freshman aren't the issue.
For guards, losing East and Clergeot is losing a lot (apologies to CJ for ignoring him, but he wasn't much of a factor). If Fernandes isn't eligible (so far it seems that way), only Garcia is added to fill those shoes. That seems like it could be a big minus, but if TJ and Buggs return fully recovered, there's plenty of firepower at guard too, and depth as well.
So again this coming year, the challenges could be getting cohesive defense, rebounding, and managing minutes.
By the way, thinking in terms of bigs, wings and ball handlers doesn't change this thinking if either Fernandes is eligible or Garcia proves to be the ball handler we're hoping for. As we've seen lately with injuries and eligibility questions, you never know where a weakness could occur. The question mark for now is point guard.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Amin put out a new Freshman/Transfer Film Room on Gasperini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uknF-_7 ... e=emb_logo

I watched without knowing anything about his game, other than that he's a traditional big that plays in the post and doesn't venture outside often. That hook shot of his does look smooth, and I'm excited to see that a few times a night. I was, however, surprised to see the rebounding section. I expected him to have better fundamentals in terms of positioning and boxing out, but it looked like he relied too much on his size to get rebounds. That won't fly in the A10 with better athletes and leapers, so hopefully the coaches can straighten that out.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:22 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:26 pm
Amin put out a new Freshman/Transfer Film Room on Gasperini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uknF-_7 ... e=emb_logo

I watched without knowing anything about his game, other than that he's a traditional big that plays in the post and doesn't venture outside often. That hook shot of his does look smooth, and I'm excited to see that a few times a night. I was, however, surprised to see the rebounding section. I expected him to have better fundamentals in terms of positioning and boxing out, but it looked like he relied too much on his size to get rebounds. That won't fly in the A10 with better athletes and leapers, so hopefully the coaches can straighten that out.
I guess we'll hear a lot of people screaming "box out, box out" again this year. :D On a serious note, he should be fine for what we'll ask of him. Give Tre 10 minutes rest a game, defend, and if he can score 4 points in his 10 minutes that's a bonus. I'm sure they will work with him on rebounding fundamentals. He seems like he's coachable.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Fri May 01, 2020 5:46 am

^Absolutely. I'm excited that they got an experienced big man to backup Tre. He also seems very focused and interested in his masters program. It's good to see guys that see the big picture and have a plan for life after basketball. And I'll say it again, that hook shot...

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 am

We just have to be sure our best rebounders are out there when Tre is on the bench.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 am

capezona wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:58 pm
For purposes of discussion, I've rated new guys with the guys leaving as improving, declining or no overall change. Clearly I'm looking at guys who have played here vs. those who haven't so it's not a fair assessment, and they might not be accurate pairings. Just conjecture... and I'm bored.

Baptiste / Gasperini ↔↑ (slight improvement)
Jackson / McCrory ↑ (improvement)
Clergeot / Garcia ↔↑
East / Fernandes ↔↓ (slight drop)
Diallo / Dominguez ↑
Chatman / DeGray ↑
I'm not as convinced as most seem to be about the value of Gasperini relative to Baptiste. I don't have a lot of conviction on this, but I think there's a very real chance that a healthy Baptiste is better than Gasperini. I think Gasperini is perfectly fine, and ultimately it probably won't mean too much because neither one had/will have a large role.

I think Fernandes will be better than East, but I'm not willing to entirely discount the possibility that he'll be a bit of a disappointment and somewhat underwhelming. Either way UMass is likely to rely on scoring/playmaking from their PG less than this past season, and I think Fernandes fits into that better than East.

Hard to compare Diallo and Chatman to Dominguez & DeGray, they're such different players, and Chatman barely played. Ultimately Diallo & Chatman just didn't seem to fit with what McCall has expressed wanting from the 4, but the options he'll have now seem to fit better, especially DeGray. I get the sense that people have high expectations for Dominguez, but I suspect his minutes & production might be more limited than those expectations. I think DeGray, Walker, and even Santos are going to make it tough for Dominguez to earn minutes.

DanaDingle3
Freshman

Post by DanaDingle3 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 am

I agree about Baptiste and Gasperini. Djery's offense was picking up as the season wore on, and he could rebound and defend. I think Mark will be serviceable, and Tony will work with him on what's needed from him.

I disagree Noah might be a disappointment or underwhelming. He has the intangibles. He's going to work, be a positive force, and bring it on D, where perimeter defense was a major weakness last year. He'll be very solid and might become an all-A10 caliber guard.

DeGray should be ready to handle the physicality of college ball. Watching him play, he's a smart player who executes well within the offense. He can do a lot on offense. Not sure about rebounding and defending - that could separate him from Walker and Dominguez - they all seem skilled offensively. Whoever can do the other stuff might squeak out more minutes. Don't sleep on Preston Santos, though.

I like early 90's Knicks and UMass, obviously. This space and pace kind of basketball is something else. I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 am

So if the NCAA transfer waiver fails, is Garcia the starting PG? Does Buggs have enough to unseat Kolton as prime backup? Does Carl continue to start? Will Weeks return to form? Is Preston "the man" at the three? Who rises to the top at the four? Will Tre go for 20/20 some night? This should be enough to curtail all the Kelsey/Pitino yak. Or is it?

Note: yes I did watch Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu May 07, 2020 11:37 am

I definitely think Tre can get a 20/20 game if he really wants to.

He had all his biggest games last season in conference, a few of them against excellent defensive big men.

He still hadn't figured out the college game during the early non-conference when we played the weakest teams last season. Not sure who the bunnies are on the schedule for 2020, but Tre will have his way with them (Fingers crossed for a season).

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu May 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Roadtrip wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 am
So if the NCAA transfer waiver fails, is Garcia the starting PG? Does Buggs have enough to unseat Kolton as prime backup? Does Carl continue to start? Will Weeks return to form? Is Preston "the man" at the three? Who rises to the top at the four? Will Tre go for 20/20 some night? This should be enough to curtail all the Kelsey/Pitino yak. Or is it?

I'll add, if I could, Will Cairo McCrory throw down some highlight dunks that rival Will "The Thrill"?

Will TJ Weeks become that #2 dependable scorer night in and night out and torch teams like we saw last year?

Will the fans start to fill the Bill as the team gets better and better?

And finally, will they serve a decent burger and make beer prices a little more fan friendly?
The E sho, best show in town

DanaDingle3
Freshman

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu May 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Roadtrip wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 am

Great questions, Roadtrip. I'm not sure it matters much who starts - everyone will play.. maybe the 12th and 13th guy play less? but that can change game to game.

I really hate to do this, but..

Coach B is accustomed to subbing a lot of guys in a run and press game for 40 minutes with great chemistry and positive energy. He's not the head coach, however. Will Coach McCall be adept at game management with all these guys who can play? If so, earning a double bye with surprise OOC victories isn't a reach.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Floyd wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:35 pm
And finally, will they serve a decent burger and make beer prices a little more fan friendly?
I thought the Mullins Center lacked an actual kitchen. Hard for a burger to be decent when it's been cooked off-site and sitting under heat lamps for hours on end.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu May 07, 2020 1:54 pm

^ correct. They cook nothing on site. I'm pretty sure they don't even pop the popcorn in the building. Easily some of the worst sports venue food I've ever had is at the Mullins. I went to the game down at Fairfield last year and was seriously impressed with the burger quality. I put in my order, heard the burger slap the grill, the fries hit the oil, and away we go. That's how you do burgers and fries.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 07, 2020 1:59 pm

The popcorn is salty and when they had Nathan's Hot Dogs they were fantastic. The Baby Berk stuff is pretty good and the ice cream has to be the hottest halftime item there is. AND THEY SELL BEER NOW! No complaints here.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm

My go-to item as a student was the chicken basket and a little DIY Chick-fil-A sauce (Honey Mustard + BBQ).
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass