2020-21 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:03 am

^

Right, we get it. A normal D1 college game can't be played there anymore.

If they haven't started on the transformation of the space to indoor T&F, then I would agree that a final B-Ball send-off via a Midnight Madness, event-like open practice or, if possible, an actual exhibition game would be great. And considering Dr. J, among others, played in there, it would be a good excuse to try and bring him back on campus for a day/night.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:08 am

^ Make it a really special night by inviting back several of the guys who played there. Midnight Madness would probably be the easiest to pull off. No other team involved, most likely no TV but it could be streamed. It's been a while since we had a Midnight Madness and I think we're ready for one. Of course, right now I'd settle for anything besides ACC games from 2009.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:45 am

Didn't we already have a final "Rage in the Cage" game and a couple games since in there? Time to move on
The E sho, best show in town

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:53 am

Floyd wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:45 am Didn't we already have a final "Rage in the Cage" game and a couple games since in there? Time to move on

We did, and we know we can't play actual games there. This isn't about that, or at least that's what I tried to convey a few posts ago.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:49 am

I understand what you're saying, but if you 're going to bring Julius back for some sort of celebration, do it for a statue unveiling and a game on Jack Leaman court where more people could attend. Not for a practice or exhibition game at the Cage that people couldn't get in to see , because I think more people would show up than the Cage can handle.

About the only thing that could be possible is a practice. But we're talkin' 'bout practice. Practice. Not a game, practice 8)
The E sho, best show in town

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:25 pm

It's just a suggestion... obviously if you can get him back to campus for anything, you do it. Cage, statue, game at the Bill, anything.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:55 pm

Those of us interested in attending an event at the Cage one more time should consider sending an email to Bamford.

E-MAIL kdisanto@umass.edu
Refuse To Lose!!!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:35 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 am
LS71 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:46 pm
SignMan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:31 pm

same building...
not close to being the same court on top of the dirt floor...not even in the same direction.
I remember the court being north-south like it is today. I started going to games during the 67-68 season.
The media and tech requirements, replay, etc. the building is not wired for it. Bamford explained this.
It's talk. We did a game there not far back. It was televised. The place is not optimal but it can be done.
Refuse To Lose!!!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:07 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:03 am
If they haven't started on the transformation of the space to indoor T&F, then I would agree that a final B-Ball send-off via a Midnight Madness, event-like open practice or, if possible, an actual exhibition game would be great. And considering Dr. J, among others, played in there, it would be a good excuse to try and bring him back on campus for a day/night.
I agree and also 69MG's suggestion to bring on others who played at the Cage. No shot clock, no three-point lines, no slam dunks (exceptions for the good Doctor) and travelling still in the rule book (they could give current players a run for their money with those restrictions). Tom McGlaughlin, you still got your Converse All-Stars in the hall closet?

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Cage has its own shot clock and adjusting the three point line is not a big deal. For an exhibition you could go so far as to play 70s rules and use old timers uniforms and make it fun to watch that way. Who cares. Let's just pay homage to the place one more time. Curry Hicks was a fun place to see a team really up close.
Refuse To Lose!!!

tom mclaughlin
Sophomore

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:56 pm

I hung my converse up at the age of 62 from playing full court. My sons use to say “dad you’re going to get hurt playing full court with younger guys.” Now I just shoot around on a full court in my yard. As far as something final in the Cage I would like to see something honoring Julius and Al Skinner as well as remembering those who have passed like Ray Ellerbrook, Jack Leaman, Ray Wilson, John Murphy, Tom Austin, Alex Eldridge, Dick Bresciani and Mike Flanagan (Baltimore Oriole Legend who won the Cy Young and played in the early 70’s). The Cage has a history that dates back to Matt Zunic and Johnny Orr (Michigan and Iowa State). Could be a fund raiser for Cancer which has taken several UMass players The Cage has hosted a Hall of Fame Legends (Dave Gavitt, Jim Calhoun, Satch Sanders, Digger Phelps, Dee Rowe, Tom Penders, Jim Boeheim, Coach Chaney from Temple), Cale Catlet to name a few. Also our own John Calipari - he would get involved in any event that revolves around Jack Leaman as would almost any former player. Maybe this could be the impetus for finally getting a Julius Erving Statue that he rightfully deserves so people could always be reminded of our great basketball history.
You might call the event a Night to Remember New England Basketball! Have all the greats come back to remember New England Basketball as it was in it’s heyday where the games were played in sold out gyms (BC Roberts Center, Providence Alumni Gym, Kearney Gym URI, Havard’s Gym which was on the 5th floor and Storrs (basically an airplane hanger). It was a good era of exciting rivalries and this all led to Dave Gavitt and creating the Big East. UMass has a tremendous history and should be proud of it’s place in New England Basketball with better things to come. Go UMass!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:02 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:56 pm I hung my converse up at the age of 62 from playing full court. My sons use to say “dad you’re going to get hurt playing full court with younger guys.” Now I just shoot around on a full court in my yard. As far as something final in the Cage I would like to see something honoring Julius and Al Skinner as well as remembering those who have passed like Ray Ellerbrook, Jack Leaman, Ray Wilson, John Murphy, Tom Austin, Alex Eldridge, Dick Bresciani and Mike Flanagan (Baltimore Oriole Legend who won the Cy Young and played in the early 70’s). The Cage has a history that dates back to Matt Zunic and Johnny Orr (Michigan and Iowa State). Could be a fund raiser for Cancer which has taken several UMass players The Cage has hosted a Hall of Fame Legends (Dave Gavitt, Jim Calhoun, Satch Sanders, Digger Phelps, Dee Rowe, Tom Penders, Jim Boeheim, Coach Chaney from Temple), Cale Catlet to name a few. Also our own John Calipari - he would get involved in any event that revolves around Jack Leaman as would almost any former player. Maybe this could be the impetus for finally getting a Julius Erving Statue that he rightfully deserves so people could always be reminded of our great basketball history.
You might call the event a Night to Remember New England Basketball! Have all the greats come back to remember New England Basketball as it was in it’s heyday where the games were played in sold out gyms (BC Roberts Center, Providence Alumni Gym, Kearney Gym URI, Havard’s Gym which was on the 5th floor and Storrs (basically an airplane hanger). It was a good era of exciting rivalries and this all led to Dave Gavitt and creating the Big East. UMass has a tremendous history and should be proud of it’s place in New England Basketball with better things to come. Go UMass!
Thanks for your support, Coach!

I sent an email to Mr. Bamford today. I hope others do. Your ideas are the best!
Refuse To Lose!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:29 pm

^^I love your suggestion.

Don’’t forget...even Bob Cousy coached games there albeit for BC.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:32 pm

Bruce Springsteen played there too. Lol
Refuse To Lose!!!

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:10 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:35 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 am
LS71 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:46 pm I remember the court being north-south like it is today. I started going to games during the 67-68 season.
The media and tech requirements, replay, etc. the building is not wired for it. Bamford explained this.
It's talk. We did a game there not far back. It was televised. The place is not optimal but it can be done.
Ten years ago is not recent. https://www.masslive.com/sports/2010/11 ... s_gam.html This piece written right after the game has some perspective.