2020-21 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Gaber205
Sophomore

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by Gaber205 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:11 am

uz2b-len wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:18 am
inthescoop wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 pm
uz2b-len wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 pm I'd like to see a starting line-up next season--if there is a next season--of Garcia, Weeks, Santos, Mitchell, and Walker. I think that would be a pretty dynamic bunch, assuming Garcia lives up to the hype. If Fernandes is eligible, that scrambles things. I suspect he would start, given his experience, and Garcia could play sixth man.
Assuming is our main game here. And have our leader come off the bench his senior year.. right right.
I didn't say I expect Carl to come off the bench, I said that's what I would like to see. That said, I think it's 50-50 give that he wasn't gonna start in Bklyn. At least, that was what was posted here.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Carl start every game but play less than starter minutes except when he started off hot. I also would expect him to be in both the "we are going to get fouled" free throw shooting and "we need a quick three" end of game teams, which is to say, finishing most games...

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 am

UMassfan_19 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:13 am
Roadtrip wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 am I do not follow Fernandez starting at all. One, he may not be eligible. Two, his stats were worse than the guy just moved out. Three, he may be prone to foot injuries which could limit both his time and effectiveness. Four, and this is my gut feeling, Garcia is just flat out better.
Fernandes is a pure point and playing in the big East is much tougher than the a-10
nit-picking here, but note Fernandes played in the AAC (Wichita State). Not as good as the Big East but lately notably better than A-10. He played very little, however, appearing in something like half their conference games. He looked great before college, but didn't show much this past season.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:46 am

bobolink wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 am
UMassfan_19 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:13 am
Roadtrip wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 am I do not follow Fernandez starting at all. One, he may not be eligible. Two, his stats were worse than the guy just moved out. Three, he may be prone to foot injuries which could limit both his time and effectiveness. Four, and this is my gut feeling, Garcia is just flat out better.
Fernandes is a pure point and playing in the big East is much tougher than the a-10
nit-picking here, but note Fernandes played in the AAC (Wichita State). Not as good as the Big East but lately notably better than A-10. He played very little, however, appearing in something like half their conference games. He looked great before college, but didn't show much this past season.
F you are right that was a brain fart I guess I still associate UConn and cincy with the big East in my mid 2000 head and just through them in there. He got some decent minutes down the stretch but the team was already troubled by then and supposedly the coach was still high on him through out the season

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:53 pm

I'm trying to guess who might start next year but I'll hold off until I know who is on the team. My guess for next year is that we will be somewhere between good (over .500) to very good (20+ wins) depending on the following IFs:

1. Nobody else transfers
2. Fernandes is healthy and eligible
3. We get a big who can play 10 minutes and actually contribute. Doesn't have to be great, just don't hurt us while he's in the game.

How good we are depends upon injuries; how much guys like Santos, Walker and Diallo improve and what do we get from the incoming freshmen.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:58 pm

The AD indicated out schedule is all but finished, with one more to schedule, on his podcast.
Refuse To Lose!!!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:41 pm

I can’t believe people are now saying that Dyondre will start next season. This board is so bizarre; we’ll get through every possible starting lineup at least once before the season begins.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:55 pm

When will we know if the transfer rules will change?
Refuse To Lose!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:02 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:41 pm I can’t believe people are now saying that Dyondre will start next season. This board is so bizarre; we’ll get through every possible starting lineup at least once before the season begins.
I mean, it's possible Dominguez starts, but it would surprise me. Beyond Tre starting, every other spot seems to be pretty up in the air.

My best guess is:

1 - If Fernandes is eligible I'd guess he's the starter, if not probably Garcia, but can't totally discount Kolton.
2 - Toss-up between Pierre/TJ. Outside chance Garcia starts here if Fernandes starts at PG.
3 - Probably Santos, but maybe Pierre & TJ both start at the 2 & 3
4 - Dibaji is the most likely, but can't count out Samba, or even Santos sliding here if Pierre & TJ also start

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:55 am I love Carl, but from what TJ showed last year, he might be better than Carl at almost every aspect of the game. Shooting-TJ, playmaking-TJ, rebounding-TJ. Not sure on the defensive but Carl isn’t great on that end. I think Carl’s ideal role is hitting the 3, and we’ve been asking a lot more of him over the last 2 years.
Just to play devil's advocate here, but TJ looked great in 10 games last year, not a whole lot to go on. Let's not forget how great Carl looked his freshman year, shooting an unreal % from three for an entire season. I agree that TJ is probably a more well-rounded player, but I'm not ready to write Carl off as a worse shooter, and TJ may have some regression shooting-wise like Carl did.

Also, not to play devil's advocate, but I'm an unabashed CP super fan, so I'd love to see him have a stellar senior year. The last two years, many have been wanting more from Carl from a playmaking/slashing standpoint, but now that there's more talent around him, I'd like to see him refocus on being the best shooter in the league. He can do it.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:06 pm

In regards to Carl’s shooting I thinking getting more consistent 2 for 5 nights and less 0fers followed by a 5 for 8 night Is about the biggest thing I’m hoping for.

I don’t know how many minutes he will see next year. I am guessing still a good amount, but I think given there are increasing options now a lot of that is going to depend on his shooting. Obviously rooting for it time come around and be more consistent.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:06 pm

My stupid early starting 5 for next year and I don’t know why I’m participating:

PG - Fernandes
SG - Weeks
SF - Pierre
PF - Diallo
C - Mitchell

Playing time will be split heavily with rotations in and out, primarily Walker, Garcia, and Santos coming off the bench first. I guess what I’m trying to say is that the starting team won’t be the important factor next year, it’ll be the 5 guys who are on the court at the end of games.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:42 pm

Most likely starting 5, if Fernandes is eligible:

Fernandes
Pierre
Santos
Diallo
Mitchell

Starting 5 I'd most like to see:

Fernandes
Garcia
Santos
Diallo/Walker - can't decide
Mitchell

TJ seemed to be so effective no matter when/where he gets chucked in. I have the most questions about how Pierre fits, especially if he's not hitting.

I could see a lineup of PG, Weeks, Santos, Walker/Diallo, Dominguez if Tre's sitting

No idea who we'll be giving the last scholarship to, but Aundre Polk's an interesting name I've seen mentioned.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Whoever the big is, he'll have to be someone who is ready to be a back up for two years. Anyone with serious A10 aspirations, like, say, Ousmane, isn't gonna want what we're offering. Maybe someone with a lot of potential who needs a lot of development. Stephane Lasme would be nice.
edit: Here's some info on Aundre Polk:
https://norsereport.com/aundre-polk/
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 pm

DanaDingle3 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:42 pm Most likely starting 5, if Fernandes is eligible:

Fernandes
Pierre
Santos
Diallo
Mitchell

Starting 5 I'd most like to see:

Fernandes
Garcia
Santos
Diallo/Walker - can't decide
Mitchell

TJ seemed to be so effective no matter when/where he gets chucked in. I have the most questions about how Pierre fits, especially if he's not hitting.

I could see a lineup of PG, Weeks, Santos, Walker/Diallo, Dominguez if Tre's sitting

No idea who we'll be giving the last scholarship to, but Aundre Polk's an interesting name I've seen mentioned.
Wouldn’t say Samba is a “likely” starter by any means, but time will tell which of us is correct. I won’t pretend that I know it for a fact.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:59 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm Whoever the big is, he'll have to be someone who is ready to be a back up for two years. Anyone with serious A10 aspirations, like, say, Ousmane, isn't gonna want what we're offering. Maybe someone with a lot of potential who needs a lot of development. Stephane Lasme would be nice.
edit: Here's some info on Aundre Polk:
https://norsereport.com/aundre-polk/
FYI in case anyone missed it,

Ousmane committed to URI.