Game 17, 2019-20: at St Bonaventure (Rochester, 1/15)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Senior

Re: Game 17, 2019-20: at St Bonaventure (Rochester, 1/15)

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am
Everyone needs to take a long, deep breath....Patience, folks.
Um, yeah, have you read the last page or two of posts? Nobody's panicking or calling for the coach to be fired. What I'm reading is actually some civil discussion on the current state and future of the program. I'm seeing things like "keep perspective", "potential", "I'm still patient", "no chance McCall is on the hot seat". There may be a few outliers, but generally, people understand that there were two major resets, and the team is incredibly inexperienced. Probably a bad time to respond to your post given the post right above this one, but even that isn't over the top negative.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:40 pm

And here is another thing. Without Bergeron we might not have Tre and T.J. But what really concerns me in addition to the style of play (soft, crappy D, liability press and no rebounding desire or commitment) is that McCall has been implying then outwardly griping that the attitude of the previous players was not right. Now he claims all is heading in the right direction. I don’t want or need a team created in the Coach’s image! I coached plenty of kids I didn’t get along with and didn’t fit what I wanted. But damn they all played hard and tough. It’s on McCall to get the absolute most out of these kids. They need to learn how to play tough and physical! With certain teams sometimes that is all coaching. We could really use some nasty, chip on the shoulder attitude and McCall should be encouraging it from the players. No one likes losing not to mention getting their asses kicked over and over. I think McCall is a nice guy who needs to toughen up himself. Bringing in some hungry gritty kids would be a benefit. God I miss Cal.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 pm

I don't think I'd say this group is soft. I don't see Keon as soft, I don't see Tre, Samba, or TJ as soft. But I do think we need an inside presence to help on the glass and give us that physicality. I don't necessarily want Tre becoming a banger, we need him on the floor and his strength is his ability to both shoot it outside the lane, and his footwork and moves inside. These kids will be bigger next year, and the year after, etc. Take some photos and we'll see it. We're not getting 4 and 5 star kids regularly, so we get kids that take some time to develop. I think the kids here now are commited to get there.

Personnel wise, we might need a few pieces. Then its up to MM to make it happen
The E sho, best show in town

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Floyd wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 pm
I don't think I'd say this group is soft. I don't see Keon as soft, I don't see Tre, Samba, or TJ as soft.
They aren’t. There is nothing soft about any of these kids, which is why this recruiting class is different and why the future is bright. They are talented, they play hard, and they all have fight in them. What they don’t do particularly well is make bad plays at the absolute worst times. That comes down to experience and the coaching staff adjusting, Soft is not the problem with either the team or the staff.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:25 am

UMassHoops wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm
We better get some more size in next year, losing Djery we are too small. We don't need a 7 footer, but we do need a bruiser who can clear rebounds and hold his ground vs. other bigs defensively.

Captain Obvious called.... and even he said "No Shit Sherlock"

Comments like this piss me off and frustrate me to no end....... It's not like we can just run down to the store and get "a bruiser who can clear rebounds and hold his ground vs. other bigs defensively". While we can all agree with the sentiment, there are also 340+ D1 teams alone who are looking for the same thing.

This is where the actual job of coaching comes in.... Since Cal, we have only had one guy who came remotely close (Ford) to using what he had as effectively as was possible. I don't know if MM is capable of that yet; early returns are mixed (at best). There is no argument that this is a young team, but we will not know if that is a reason or an excuse for another year.
In Matt McCall I trust!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 am

Juice Stand wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Um, yeah, have you read the last page or two of posts? Nobody's panicking or calling for the coach to be fired. What I'm reading is actually some civil discussion on the current state and future of the program. I'm seeing things like "keep perspective", "potential", "I'm still patient", "no chance McCall is on the hot seat". There may be a few outliers, but generally, people understand that there were two major resets, and the team is incredibly inexperienced. Probably a bad time to respond to your post given the post right above this one, but even that isn't over the top negative.

I read all the pages and there are certainly folks who are panicking and subtly (and not so subtly) suggesting there should be a change. Here and elsewhere. I'm sorry you didn't like my post, the timing of it, and/or the thread placement, but it needed to be said.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:02 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:25 am
UMassHoops wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm
We better get some more size in next year, losing Djery we are too small. We don't need a 7 footer, but we do need a bruiser who can clear rebounds and hold his ground vs. other bigs defensively.
Captain Obvious called.... and even he said "No Shit Sherlock"

Comments like this piss me off and frustrate me to no end....... It's not like we can just run down to the store and get "a bruiser who can clear rebounds and hold his ground vs. other bigs defensively". While we can all agree with the sentiment, there are also 340+ D1 teams alone who are looking for the same thing.
Losing Djery is not a huge loss on it's own. Seems like a great kid but is the most frustrating beast of a player (physically) I can remember in a long time. Losing Djery and Sy is a killer. There is nobody on the projected 2020/21 roster that can spell Tre. They don't need Patrick Ewing, they need a big body that will work his ass off for 5-10 minutes a night.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm

^

Have you forgotten this quickly about Big Holloway?!? He was the most frustrating big guy!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 pm

Djery is worse for me. He does what it looks he should be able to do about 10% of the time. For Holloway, I would have given him a 50%.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm
^

Have you forgotten this quickly about Big Holloway?!? He was the most frustrating big guy!
He was frustrating but he improved somewhat by his last year here - 10 pts and 6 rebs a game.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:16 pm

The best of Baptiste with the best of Holloway; you would probably have a pretty darn good player. I find Djery less frustrating, he gives 100% of what he has.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Two entirely different types of frustrating.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:01 pm

I would love to have Djery as a son but I’d cut him from my team.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am
Everyone needs to take a long, deep breath....Patience, folks.

So... you were saying...?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Am I panicking? I just want McCall to be fired. That would show some balls on Bamford's part but we need to be ballsy to get out of this pit.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams