Game 17, 2019-20: at St Bonaventure (Rochester, 1/15)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 17, 2019-20: at St Bonaventure (Rochester, 1/15)

Post by inthescoop » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:45 pm

To be fair, I had 1 30 point game my freshman year of high school and it was the 1 game I remember most from that season. :lol:

That’s the only validation I can make for posting that - People remember personal goals! Don’t worry, I can see and understand the other side of thinking though.

Should have started it with a disclaimer **Hot Take Alert** 🚨🚨

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Nothing matters unless UMass learns to:
1. Play half court defense and lose the “press”
2. Rebound.
3. Friggin rebound.
Hard to watch. I have lost all faith in McCall. I don’t care how we are young or Weeks is hurt as excuses. I have coached hoop for 20 years and McCall doesn’t know how to get his guys to play in a manner that gives the kids a chance to win. Disgusted and signing off until we play like we want to win.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:56 pm

^ Hard to disagree with Rayers regarding rebounding, half court D and the press. Also, we need contributions from more than 3 players a game. Tough to win when 3 of your starters total 10 points and shoot 2/17 from the field.

However, I'm trying hard to keep these losses in perspective. We have played 3 of our first 4 games on the road against 3 of the top 6 teams in the league. We knew coming in we weren't in the top 6. Our season will be determined by how we do against the mid-tier teams and the supposed bottom of the barrel teams. We have one of them, GW, coming to Amherst on Saturday.

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:01 am

Really missing TJ

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:24 am

I would say McCall is going right back on the hot seat. No doubt in my mind that if the coaches changes teams, UMass would have gotten the W last night

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:25 am

7-11 in conference is play should be the Mendoza line

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 am

The jury is still out on McCall, but I think most here like the talent and potential on this team. The question for me is how much longer can they take a beating and still keep their heads up and stay invested on a day-to-day basis. At some point, they need to start winning games. I look around the NCAA and see teams like Duke, UNC, Kentucky losing at home to unranked teams. I don't care that St. Bonaventure is better than us. There is a way to rise to the level of your competition, even when they look like the better team on paper, and McCall needs to start figuring how to get there.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:17 am

East didn’t have a great game but he played a lot smarter than he has in the previous ~10 games. He stayed in control, his shots just weren’t falling.

MM clearly isn’t a great coach right now. He brought in a lot of promising talent and I agree his fate is 100% tied to this freshmen class. I still believe you need to give him all of next year. If they suck next year than anything is on the table.

Tre is a true talent and it’s a pleasure to watch him with the ball in his hands.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:52 am

Juice, I hear your points, that all make sense, and I'll offer a few of my own.

The fan base is just dying for UMass to be relevant again. The past 5 yrs or so has been tough to stay committed to supporting the program. I think after MM's first 2 years, seeing this new and promising influx of pretty good talent, we're seeing there's potential here. But lets remember that they ARE young (not to make excuses) but they are. And losing a projected bigger piece of the puzzle who was there all offseason and somewhat at the start (Sy), and a huge piece and talent in TJ, definitely affects how you play, what you can do, and puts a little pressure on guys you might not have counted on as much

Anyone watching this team has seen the changes, and almost all are for the better. The attitude, work ethic, team chemistry all are visibly better. But teams are better than other teams because of (1) talent, (2) experience, and (3) coaching and preparation. (1) for us has been better, but we've taken some hits with injuries etc, (2) just takes time, and (3) seems like what most are on the fence about.

We do need more frontcourt help because next year we have Samba and Tre. Definitely need more to help rebounding, rim protection and physicality. Too much to expect 2 guys to provide that, especially if we rely on Tre to be our big scorer. So that can be improved with recruiting. Experience just comes with time. By all accounts these kids are working their asses off, so that will come.

So that leaves (3). I agree, wins need to start coming to sustain the drive, work ethic, fan support etc. While sometimes I question if MM can get us there, I have to remind myself that (1) & (2) need to be improved to really see if (3) can get it done, and I'm trying to stay patient as I see this as really year 1 of a rebuild. MM's first year we all thought he got all he could out of that limited roster, and that gives me some hope that he can get it done. I think if there's not significant progress in the next year or 2, you look at that. But right now, I don't want to miss the opportunity to see guys like Tre, TJ, Sean, Samba and the rest of the young guys try to elevate the program. The next 2 years are critical to see where we're headed
The E sho, best show in town

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 am

Good post, Floyd. I know it's old and I even hate to say it, but next year is the year that matters as long as we don't have a major dumpster fire the rest of this year. As has been said, we need to shore up the front court for rebounding and rim-protection. Our offense will be OK if TJ comes back healthy.

What we forget is that we lost 20+ points a game with the absence of Sy and TJ and we don't have enough firepower on the bench to overcome that. How do you compensate? You play great defense. Well, I'm waiting.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 am

I'm still patient.

Conference road games are particularly challenging for a team as young as ours. Even much of the coaching staff is in its first year at UMass.

Not having TJ/Buggs, the injury to Kolton, Sy's departure and the late start for Dibaji don't make things any easier.

All of that said, the guys are battling and the attitude is still positive.

I'm not sure what people expect.
Last edited by LS71 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am

You're right 69, absolutely. But thats where it shows on an inexperienced team. Takes time to adjust and learn how to compensate, and thats where the staff needs to teach them. They don't just learn it on their own and just "trying harder" only goes so far. But their effort and desire to learn appears to be there. We're just not there yet, and better teams will win more times than not. Just got to keep working, recruiting, and teaching them better and they will get better. Believe me, lots of us drive a good ways to support them and can't wait for those wins to pile up

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am

IMO there is no chance McCall is on the hot seat...if anyone thought they were winning 20 games this year they need to take their maroon colored glasses off. I think we all knew how good Weeks was, but I don't think we realized just how important he was to this team. No one knows for sure how the games he missed would have played out, but I feel like they would have won a couple of them...all of a sudden they are 9-8 instead of 7-10 and we're feeling pretty good about ourselves. I know I was also pretty outspoken about Sy and his attitude, but after watching Baptiste...Sy at least would have given us some scoring and been just as good defensively as Djery. Every time Tre leaves the game I hold my breathe they don't go down by 10.

I feel like McCall needs three years with these Freshman...they are 18-19 yr old boys playing against 21-22 year old men. I watch quite a bit of Houston's games and I am amazed at how much better Jarreau and especially Gresham are now 4 years later. Gresham was lost his freshman year here...he is a beast now. If McCall leaves, unless they keep Bergeron as head coach, which would probably be a mistake, all these guys leave too. We can't keep hitting the reset button every 2-3 years and expect them to be relevant. Not saying give him 5-6 years of this, but he deserves at least until these guys become Juniors...if they are still sub .500 then I understand moving on.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am

To be clear, I'm not calling for McCall's head, not even close. What I'm saying is that the losing has to start taking a toll on these guys, and of course losing Sy and TJ hurts, but we still have talented players out there. What I'd like to start seeing from McCall is winning a couple road games and having a competitive showing against "better" teams. The St Louis OT loss was a good example, but for the most part, it's been tough to watch. In Walfish's recap today, he put out the numbers on McCalls overall and A10 road records, and they're putrid. On to GW - the win streak starts Saturday.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 am

I hear ya Juice but what are the records of any UMass coach in their first 2-3 years here? And his start here wasn't exactly taking over a league title team that lost its coach to a promotion to a bigger program. It was 2 years of major roster turnover & coaching turnover. Now, its fair game to ask why, but I think in 2 years we'll know if we're solidly in the right direction or not. I think you have to give it that time unless things really implode in the next year/year & half