Game 16, 2019-20: at Dayton (1/11)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 16, 2019-20: at Dayton (1/11)

Post by m626t » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:38 pm

^
Kenny Bania says "Hi"! :D
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:39 pm

It seems that MM is an all or nothing with most here. I have met and spoken to him a couple times and a very good friend of mine has played a couple rounds of golf with the guy and he seems very genuine. He is really passionate and knowledgable about basketball and absolutely hates losing. He also seems very realistic. He did not expect to win 25 games the first year, he actually said he would be legitimately happy if they even won 10.

Nobody here can accurately "what if" more or less wins on some of his in game decisions. It is really easy to armchair QB everything; and most here are HOF Coaches in that regard. Has he cost them a game or two - Probably, but in the grand scheme of things he is young too and seems to be learning from most of his mistakes. If you want to rail on the press - get over it. When this team is seasoned and starts crushing opponents with that same press, this season will have been the reason for it.

Not that my opinion matters, but if you compare DK's Program with this one there is no comparison - NONE.

- Even when a play is broken, these guys still look like they know what they are trying to do. I can't say that about any DK coached game - not 1, I never saw an offense that looked like anything but street ball for 8 years.
- MM has actual in bounds plays..... they may not always work or be the correct one in the moment, but AT LEAST HE HAS THEM.
- There was no such thing as consistent effort (Chaz being the exception), Umass lost by a healthy margin against Dayton and they were trying just as hard a the end of the game as the beginning.

The W/L results are not reflecting the improvements to the program but if you are paying any attention at all there are very cavernous differences between the program then and the program now and they are all for the better.

I was embarrassed to be a Umass fan when DK was at the helm - it was a shitshow. I love watching this team play again and I cannot wait to see a full area of "long time fans" singing MM and this team's praises.....

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm
we live in an era where sharpies can redraw the cone of certainty

I like that. The "cone of certainty". Some good shit right there
Time to Win

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:17 pm

m626t wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:38 pm ^
Kenny Bania says "Hi"! :D
Kenny!!!
Time to Win

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:35 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Almontis wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 pm This is the article Len, or Used to be Len, is referencing https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... 30CBplTvN/
That’s the extensive coverage?

Oh, good fucking grief. We have now gone from “Too bad McCall didn't try” and “Not the least bit true” as it was “covered extensively in the Dayton newspaper” and it was not “very flattering to McCall” to the need to “go digging for an (3 year old) article” that somehow counters the quotes and facts contained in this more recent article that shows McCall handled it appropriately. Oh, and now we’ve also gone from ‘he didn’t try’ to ‘well, “he should have been “expected to say something” about whether he did or did not try. Jesus.

Len, if you don’t like the man or his W/L record to date or, say, the way he sticks with the press when it fails, just say it. There’s plenty to critique. And, I realize we live in an era where sharpies can redraw the cone of certainty, but let’s lay off the cheap, invented character hits. They aren’t cool, particularly since, at minimum, McCall always takes responsibility for his performance...unless, of course, it is not honoring Pipkins on his (sort of) Senior Night! I mean, man, can you believe that shit?!
That's quite the tirade. Anything I said that was factually incorrect? I just think McCall made a big mistake not trying to bring Crutcher to UMass. And that he didn't communicate with Crutcher appropriately. This is not invented.
p.s. Thanks for the link, Al.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:43 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:35 pm That's quite the tirade. Anything I said that was factually incorrect?
Other than the part about not knowing what McCall actually did, or pointing to the “extensive coverage” putting McCall in a poor light, or the “not the least bit true” counter to Offseason’s point that UTC may not have even allowed him to go to UMass? None of that is “factually correct.” It is entirely speculation, selective characterization, and opinion; which is fine, but hardly fact based. So, other than all that, a perfectly accurate and air tight point you’ve been making.

“Tirade?” That’s a pretty low threshold.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:47 pm

I know what McCall did because I believe Crutcher. What reason does he have to lie about it? It's eyewitness testimony. This is not speculation. The facts are Crutcher learned about McCall's departure from UTC because his mom saw it on twitter. He heard from McCall only via text. Those are facts. I have some judgment about those facts, it's true. My judgment is that McCall didn't handle the situation respectfully. Also, Crutcher said he didn't know what he was going to do instead of UTC. He considered a post-grad year. Someone from Dayton saw him in a tournament and that's how he ended up there.I don't think it's speculation to infer from these facts that McCall didn't express any interest in him coming to UMass. If that's true, and it certainly fits the facts, then I have a judgment about it, that McCall made a big mistake.

Do you think Crutcher was lying to the Dayton reporter?

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:50 pm

Len, I don't know about any if this, but it may be possible that McCall's recruits to UTC were let out of their LOI only with the stipulation that they couldn't follow him to UMass. Maybe thats why there was little contact. Who knows at this point, but its worked out well for Crutcher at Dayton
Time to Win

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:10 pm

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:47 pm Do you think Crutcher was lying to the Dayton reporter?
No, not at all. I think Crutcher was understandably expressing disappointment that the coach who recruited him was leaving the school. You concluded that this could only mean McCall made no effort to bring him to UMass and dismissed Offseason’s suggestion that maybe it wasn’t that simple.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Pure speculation on my part here. McCall didn’t contact him, because he had already signed his letter of intent. I don’t know the rules, completely, but if McCall called him and told him he was leaving and Crutcher decided to try to follow, couldn’t tampering be alleged? Crutcher was a teenage and McCall was a young coach. Maybe by not calling McCall thought he was doing what was expected? While a teenage kid who was being recruited for two years and contacted everyday expected more? Seems like in the present both McCall and Crutcher get along and have admiration for each other. It must not have been that bad.....

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Getting back to basketball, Dayton is pretty damn good. They just beat VCU by 14.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 am

Good lord - WGAF..... MM/UM loses kids they have been recruiting every day. So MM missed a possible opportunity.....

Len you are coming off a little "over the top angry" about this one particular kid. I think it is safe to say JC landed on his feet despite the few unexpected weeks of upheaval he had to endure.

Seriously Len, why are you so uptight about this particular kid?

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:38 am

Floyd wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:15 am Just curious why you are anti McCall, is it because He followed DK or something else? Think he's a bad coach?
If this question is for me pls. dm me. thanks!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am

eldonabe wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 am Good lord - WGAF..... MM/UM loses kids they have been recruiting every day. So MM missed a possible opportunity.....

Len you are coming off a little "over the top angry" about this one particular kid. I think it is safe to say JC landed on his feet despite the few unexpected weeks of upheaval he had to endure.

Seriously Len, why are you so uptight about this particular kid?
I'm not signing on to the uptight label, but it's true this situation has bothered me since I first learned of it in McCall's first year. Why? Because IMHO (which is of course nothing but speculation) McCall's tenure would have been vastly more successful if Crutcher had come here. We had two crap years that would have been a lot better with Crutcher on the team. This year, too, for that matter. That's why it irks me. And reading about it at the time, it seemed to me that the way McCall handled it wasn't respectful to Crutcher. Maybe as some others speculate that was necessary due to tampering regulations. I dunno. I thought coaches always brought players along when they changed jobs, but I don't have any data to back that up. Except for Jimmy Baron, which I'm sure was a special case.

I don't see it as the same as losing any recruit because Crutcher had a relationship with McCall and wanted to play for him.