Game 9, 2019-20: South Carolina (12/4)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
xlgman
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 9, 2019-20: South Carolina (12/4)

Post by xlgman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Points in the paint. That is all.
This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 pm

The essences of defense are commitment and surprise. We lack surprise on D, predictability is death.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 pm

I haven't read all of the comments but I'm sure a lot of them are about our stupid f'n press. So I'm going to rant!!!!!

I sort of lost count, but I think SC scored 28 points on easy baskets after breaking the press. We ALL know they don't shoot well from the outside. If we pick them up at half court and I don't care if we play man or zone, they will only score around 14 points on those 14 possessions.

I honestly feel like we should have won this game by 10 points or more and I put it all on the coaching. Sure, players missed assignments (as stated by MM in his post game interview), but the coaching staff put these guys in terrible situations.

The players are busting their humps and I enjoy watching them so I hope they don't get discouraged by bad game planning and poor (or nonexistent) in game adjustments

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:43 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 pmI also don’t think St Johns, Rutgers or SC are particularly good teams but they are bigger, stronger and more athletic.
You left out deeper. Mitchell, East, Weeks and Pierre each played at least 32 minutes. Yet they almost pulled this one out.

Tre could use some help...Baptiste isn’t enough and it sure would be nice to have Kolton back and have Walker’s status resolved.

Some here feel they should’ve won tonight. I disagree but feel they definitely could have won.

Honestly this team has won the games it should have won and lost two they could have won...St.John’s and tonight.

They’re playing hard. They’re playing together and they’re learning as they go. Just look at the difference between the Rutgers game and tonight.

Love to see them get 3 of r next 4!
Last edited by LS71 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:57 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:42 pm
LS71 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:19 pm South Carolina assistant Chuck Martin was an assistant at UMass in 2000-2001.

Speaking of assistants, that’s quite the outfit Bergeron is wearing...shiny silver jacket with black lapels, black shirt and pants and glittery shoes.
someone please post a pic of this. :lol: lol
https://umassathletics.com/news/2019/12 ... llins.aspx
This glimpse doesn't do justice to the wardrobe, especially since you can't see the shoes. If you DVR'd the game, they show a closeup coming out of the commercial at the 11:30 first-half timeout.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:14 am

The press is gimmicky basketball. Can’t stand it. As many have said it led to so many uncontested layups and our guys were gassed in the second half on offense due to it. That was all on coaching.

Double bonus with ten minutes at home and you manage to lose that. Yuck. Love the fight of the guys at the end but now I am beginning to question McCall’s basketball acumen.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:49 am

^ Very much in agreement with Quann's post.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:30 am

On a positive note, our 3 leading scorers against a SEC team are all freshmen.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:41 am

An unwillingness to adapt. That was what did in DK, and it appears MM is on the same path. You would think going 0-4 would make you question your game plan, but I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen. So I'm back to where I was about 6 years ago, liking a guy and wanting him to succeed, while having a gut feeling he just isn't going to get it.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:59 am

I'm starting to wonder about McCall and his stubbornness as well. Someone mentioned Paul Cormier earlier - I have to believe that a seasoned basketball pro like Cormier sees it and has suggestions for McCall. This is starting to look an awful lot like the football team in terms of the coach's unwillingness to adapt or ease in a game plan with a young team. I'm all for building your culture and instilling a style, but ease these guys in, don't constantly force a defensive concept when you're getting shredded. The big difference between Walt Bell and McCall is that McCall is in year 3 - we need to start seeing some results, or at least some proof of coaching acumen. Bamford canned DK after one season with his "greatest recruiting class ever", does anyone believe that he won't do the same with McCall if they flounder through the A10 season (for the record, I'm not expecting that to happen, I think this group is better and will be competitive). I'm not there with McCall yet, not even close, but oof, the last few have been really really tough to watch.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:10 am

LS71 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:43 pm
Jackson96 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 pmI also don’t think St Johns, Rutgers or SC are particularly good teams but they are bigger, stronger and more athletic.
You left out deeper. Mitchell, East, Weeks and Pierre each played at least 32 minutes. Yet they almost pulled this one out.

Tre could use some help...Baptiste isn’t enough and it sure would be nice to have Kolton back and have Walker’s status resolved.

Some here feel they should’ve won tonight. I disagree but feel they definitely could have weed on.

Honestly this team has won the games it should have won and lost two they could have won...St.John’s and tonight.

They’re playing hard. They’re playing together and they’re learning as they go. Just look at the difference between the Rutgers game and tonight.

Love to see them get 3 of r next 4!
I agree LS. In a year or two as they get stronger and play together, they'll win these games. Couple turnovers here and there hurt them last night, but I like this team and what they bring. And I also agree that we need another big to help out Sy and Tre ( someone 6-10 or bigger). I love what Djery brings but he's not a scorer, and Samba seems more like a SF. When Sy isn't out there, its all on Tre inside and its alot to ask of a freshman (although he's been very good)

My man Sean East looked good last night, and there's no doubt he's capable of running this team for 4 years

Rather we got the win but I was happy with the effort and play of this young team

I do also agree that calling off, or changing up the press here and there would be a good thing. Different looks alone could confuse teams and cause some turnovers/slow teams down.

One thing I noticed South Carolina did fairly well was close out on guys to leave fewer wide open shots. We moved the ball pretty well offensively but rarely had wide open shots. And I definitely noticed they were bigger, stronger, and a little quicker, but we'll get there. Stay behind this team
Last edited by Floyd on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time to Win

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:18 am

I love how we all knew going in that these last 4 games were going to be tough on a young team. They play their asses off and never roll over but now we’re doubting them. If this was last years team they would’ve quit and got blown out. This team deserves our patience. As the season goes on they will figure things out.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 am

^ +1 ax man. Night and day. They need our support
Time to Win

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:33 am

It seems to me that folks are more upset with the coaching than they are the team itself. For me I am frustrated because losing (which we’ve done a lot of over these last few years) is well, frustrating.

I still think the team has a lot of potential and is hopefully heading in the right direction. I just don’t think they’ve consistently played very well these last few games. Does the level of competition play a factor in that? Of course it does. I do think though that outside of Virginia the teams we played weren’t great or even very good. Better than us? Sure. But not outrageously so.

They were still winnable games if we played consistently well and if the coaches put the team in the best position to win. Neither of those things happened, though. That’s frustrating — but I’m still happy with the potential that’s there and am trying to recognize that we aren’t going to reach that potential overnight. And I shouldn’t expect a young team to play consistent basketball.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:40 am

I don't think anyone is doubting the players. There is obvious talent there and they play hard. I think people are doubting the coaching schemes and adjustments or lack there of.