KAEO: Sean East

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Post Reply
69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8555
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 pm

Cool_Hand wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm
I dont think coaches would force or ask anyone to leave. If I had to guess they would probably inform the there isn't a scholarship and offer a way to get financial assistance and stay. People forget Davonte's roster spot.
Sorry to say that none of what you wrote is accurate. Call it what you want but he was forced out in some fashion. It happens every year at numerous schools. As for Davonte, he was a walk-on and didn't count as a roster spot.

Just to set the record straight, I wish Sean had stayed. He had a lot of upside and I would have liked to see him playing off the ball. If Fernandes is eligible it was simply a matter of playing time at PG.

Kelz626
Junior
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:07 am

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by Kelz626 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:48 pm

It’s unfortunate to see someone like East leave the program but it makes the most sense. Garcia is being touted as a day 1 starter, Buggs can’t go anywhere without losing a year (at least as the current rule is in place) and Mitchell is the guy he got benched in favor of.

Ultimately I think East played a little too carefree/careless and wasn’t listening to the coaches about this which might be why he’s transferring. I’m not sure if it was the lesser competition to start the year or just getting lucky early on but eventually the risky and no-look passes were missing teammates, being thrown out of bounds and the pull up 3’s in transition started to miss. I can’t recall the game but it was East’s last start before Mitchell was put in the starting rotation and Sean pulled up for 3 on a run out and missed badly resulting in a media timeout and both McCall and Bergeron lit into him pretty good. Maybe they thought sitting him and having him off the bench would be a wake up call but it seemed like it just continued with the unnecessary gambles and out of control play.

Cool_Hand
Sophomore
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Boston

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by Cool_Hand » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:32 am

69MG wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 pm
Cool_Hand wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm
I dont think coaches would force or ask anyone to leave. If I had to guess they would probably inform the there isn't a scholarship and offer a way to get financial assistance and stay. People forget Davonte's roster spot.
Sorry to say that none of what you wrote is accurate. Call it what you want but he was forced out in some fashion. It happens every year at numerous schools. As for Davonte, he was a walk-on and didn't count as a roster spot.

Just to set the record straight, I wish Sean had stayed. He had a lot of upside and I would have liked to see him playing off the ball. If Fernandes is eligible it was simply a matter of playing time at PG.

Since you know exactly what happened, who is your source?

Mizor
Freshman
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:24 pm
Location: Florence, MA

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by Mizor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 am

From Sean's twitter account

East tweeted: “First, I would like to thank GOD for this opportunity, because without him, none of this would have been possible.

“Secondly, I would like to thank Coach McCall and the coaching staff for the opportunity to play for this University.

“Thirdly, I would like to shout out to my teammates and close friends that helped me make through this year! Without them I don’t know if I would of made it.

“Lastly, I would like to thank the fans and the UMass community for all the support.

“UMass, it’s been real, but with that being said, I will be entering the transfer portal.

At least he didn't shoot his way out of town.
..

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14715
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 am

It's an unfortunate part of how CBB works. Trying to convince yourself that this isn't something your coach or your program would do naive.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7931
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 am
It's an unfortunate part of how CBB works. Trying to convince yourself that this isn't something your coach or your program would do naive.
What are we convincing ourselves McCall wouldn't do?

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14715
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am

NilesGold wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 am
What are we convincing ourselves McCall wouldn't do?

Forcing someone out. I was speaking to the collective "we" but really it's only a few folks that seem to think that. I wasn't including you in that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

bunkerhill87
Senior
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by bunkerhill87 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 am

Late to the game on this one. Feel like im under a rock. Super dissappointing. Not gonna compare him to other players who may or may not be the "replacement". I thought East was tremendous for a freshman. Dont like the idea he was asked to leave. I know that this happens. Thats sad. Ill end with what Cal Makars dad stated after he committed and the coach changed. "Cal made a commitment to Umass. He was going to honor that. " Umass and Mccall makes commitments when recruiting. There is no honor or integrity in this.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 am

bunkerhill87 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 am
Late to the game on this one. Feel like im under a rock. Super dissappointing. Not gonna compare him to other players who may or may not be the "replacement". I thought East was tremendous for a freshman. Dont like the idea he was asked to leave. I know that this happens. Thats sad. Ill end with what Cal Makars dad stated after he committed and the coach changed. "Cal made a commitment to Umass. He was going to honor that. " Umass and Mccall makes commitments when recruiting. There is no honor or integrity in this.
It’s a nice sentiment but carvel has kicked so many people off hockey team over the years. Like straight up told kids they weren’t in the plans

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6811
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 am

Just curious, but how many were kids he brought in?
The E sho, best show in town

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:45 am

Floyd wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 am
Just curious, but how many were kids he brought in?
Many just starting in 2017 class which is makars class many freshman from that year pushed out by this season probably half that class was recruited over or had left for pros

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:09 am

UMassfan_19 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 am
bunkerhill87 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 am
Late to the game on this one. Feel like im under a rock. Super dissappointing. Not gonna compare him to other players who may or may not be the "replacement". I thought East was tremendous for a freshman. Dont like the idea he was asked to leave. I know that this happens. Thats sad. Ill end with what Cal Makars dad stated after he committed and the coach changed. "Cal made a commitment to Umass. He was going to honor that. " Umass and Mccall makes commitments when recruiting. There is no honor or integrity in this.
It’s a nice sentiment but carvel has kicked so many people off hockey team over the years. Like straight up told kids they weren’t in the plans
He did so when he arrived for sure. He wanted character guys as well as hockey players. He has let kids go for character issues as well as hockey issues. There is a major difference in Hockey compared to most other college sports, though age of player and professional prospects, minor league deals. Carvel isn’t doing anything other coaches are not doing. He sat a guy who is a finalist for the Hobey Baker. Do you think McCall or any other hoops coach would healthy scratch the star player because he needed a wake up call? By all accounts Leno had not broken team rules or had any major transgressions. He just wasn’t playing “correctly”.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6811
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:07 am

I just find it very odd that a coach brings in a kid who starts and plays pretty well as a freshman is now no longer valuable to the team after 1 year of being in town. No character or discipline issues that we've heard of either. So I think its only fair that kids can transfer out anytime they want with no sit out year and play immediately
The E sho, best show in town

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:10 am

Floyd wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:07 am
I just find it very odd that a coach brings in a kid who starts and plays pretty well as a freshman is now no longer valuable to the team after 1 year of being in town. No character or discipline issues that we've heard of either. So I think its only fair that kids can transfer out anytime they want with no sit out year and play immediately
It’s not that he’s not valuable but it’s about his role and fit that made him the obvious one to go. He is a lead guard who should and needs to play extended minutes he wasn’t going get those minutes so his value changes and kolton is much more valuable in the energy defensive grinder role that Keon was in this past year. Also as he put in his message it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows for him he had some tough times

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2447
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:50 am

I’m not sure I understand this narrative that offense first players need to play extended minutes as opposed to defense first guys unless this is specific to this situation (and then I’m still not sure it’s true). History has given us a lot of offense first guys who are good in limited minutes and help when teams need offense. They are often called change of pace guys or instant offense.

I think each situation is different and is based on team need and the particular player’s abilities. This year there were games where we needed help defensively and there were games where the main issues were on the offensive end. I can understand how folks may think East needs extended minutes, just not sure how you can feel so sure of it. He was a freshman. Sometimes they develop and mature.

I don’t know how East’s career would have unfolded at UMass. I just think it’s very easy to say he wouldn’t be able to handle limited minutes and Kolton can. We don’t know that. He had things to work on as the vast majority of freshmen do. Hell Kolton has A LOT to work on. Just totally different things. I wasn’t East’s biggest fan but in between the long kills of uninspired play there were certainly flashes.

Saying all this, I’m also not surprised East is the odd man out.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Post Reply