KAEO: Sean East

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
capezona
Hall of Fame

KAEO: Sean East

Post by capezona » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Long overdue to get a thread going for Sean.

He's currently 20th in the country in APG (3rd among frosh), and 25th in assists-turnover ratio (again 3rd among frosh). I think we've got a gem.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by Floyd » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:31 pm

I watch Sean alot during games, kid really has a great court vision. He's made some great passes and sees things before they happen as his hometown guy has posted. When these guys play together a little longer, I think he'll really shine. He's good, and he plays D
Time to Win

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:15 pm

leads the team in FG%, which I would not have predicted. Then again, I would not have predicted that TJ would be the leading scorer and Samba would lead in rebounds.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Yeah, Samba is coming into his own this year. Much more aggressive going to the hoop and on the boards. I imagine he's fully healthy now. Only a sophomore, he should get even better
Time to Win

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:32 pm

East nabbed one of the A10 Rookie of the Week awards in the first two weeks, and currently has a 34:7 (4.86) A:TO ratio.

Pumped that we could potentially have this guy four years.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:44 am

So far he is one of my favorite recent freshmen.

He sort of reminds me of Anton Brown and DK a little. He's off to a better start than either Anton or Derek. Seems like real natural.

I think Carl's work ethic has set a good example for the freshman like East and the returning sophomores.

This team is far more likable compared to last year.

I think East makes the team more watchable.

I am not sure what his ceiling is but there is upside. I think he going to continue to develop both his game and physically.

Such a nice recruiting class. Preston's seems like he gets incrementally more comfortable on the court with each game.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Mfarmer72

Sean East

Post by Mfarmer72 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm

Ok I’m the guy from Sean East’s home town that told you guys that you will love him. I’ve kind of been out of the loop the last 3 weeks. How is he doing? And is he living up to what I thought he would? In high school he would hit some shots and passes and you are like what did I just see.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Re: Sean East

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:59 pm

He's doing great. Had 26 pts 6 assist in a tight loss at Akron in our most recent game. Tune into nbcsports Sunday at 4pm for a look.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Mfarmer72 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm Ok I’m the guy from Sean East’s home town that told you guys that you will love him. I’ve kind of been out of the loop the last 3 weeks. How is he doing? And is he living up to what I thought he would? In high school he would hit some shots and passes and you are like what did I just see.
so I can't figure out if you're serious or if you're trolling. It's 2020 so it's not too hard to see how anyone is doing...seems strange you picked now to come on here and ask how he's doing? He's been very good...but where were you when he had back to back 2 point games vs Virginia and St. Johns? I think we all are pleasantly surprised at how well he is playing and we look forward to the next 3+ years.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Are you suggesting he go through the boxscores?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:16 am

jrdupe wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:54 pm
Mfarmer72 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm Ok I’m the guy from Sean East’s home town that told you guys that you will love him. I’ve kind of been out of the loop the last 3 weeks. How is he doing? And is he living up to what I thought he would? In high school he would hit some shots and passes and you are like what did I just see.
so I can't figure out if you're serious or if you're trolling. It's 2020 so it's not too hard to see how anyone is doing...seems strange you picked now to come on here and ask how he's doing? He's been very good...but where were you when he had back to back 2 point games vs Virginia and St. Johns? I think we all are pleasantly surprised at how well he is playing and we look forward to the next 3+ years.
He's 100% serious. He's from East's home town, or close to it. He posted on the team's facebook page after East hit that crazy shot at the end of the half from almost full court length. Seeing as how he's from KY or IN it's probably not his top priority to keep tabs on Umass 24/7. It was a pretty honest/harmless question and it's unfortunate that you felt the need to respond with the sarcastic tone you did. Maybe you should take some of your own 2020 advice and check the guy's profile and take the 2 seconds to scan his other 5 posts and you would have seen that.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 am

For Mfarmer72:

If you are serious and don't care about individual games, here's the YTD box for the team. We all love Sean and he is doing very well. A couple of hiccup games, but that's to be expected of a freshman. Let's hope he keeps it up in conference play.

https://umassathletics.com/documents/20 ... mbined.pdf

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:26 am

There are like 57 other posters in this joint that would think of as trolls before this guy. It sounds like he just wanted to know what we think of East having, you know, watched him play. Not sure box scores give you that. Actually I am sure and they don’t.

I think East is pretty good — overall exceeding my expectations. Seems to be less effective when facing size and/or athleticism and makes some interesting decisions at times, but he’s a talented player. Not sure how he got so overlooked playing with Langford in high school. I would have thought he’d have had more interest from our level on down than he seemed to get.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:02 pm

^ Jackson, thought I read somewhere he was a bit of a late bloomer and grew more late in HS/prep.
Good for us tho, I love the kid's game
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 pm

Rookie of the week again. I think we now have 4 of the 8 so far this season.

https://umassathletics.com/news/2020/1/ ... honor.aspx