Game 4, 2019-20: Central CT (11/16)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Mfarmer72

Re: Game 4, 2019-20: Central CT (11/16)

Post by Mfarmer72 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:22 pm
Floyd wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 pm
Sean East is a Beast! Love the kid's game.
Absolutely, and I think today was his worst game so far. He made a couple of bone headed plays and sloppy passes early in the game so McCall didn't play him as much in the 1st half, in part because Keon was so damned good. East had 25 minutes played, 3 turnovers, which is still good, just not as good as the previous games. He got back in the flow in the 2nd half and really looked great. This is an impressive group.
I didn’t see the game. So I guess East is 26 assist to 5 TO now through 4 games? Not bad trust me guys they kid can play he will become one of your favorite players he is a play maker and I’m sure his turnovers he was trying to make something happen let me know if I’m wrong I didn’t see game but he will shock you with some of the dishes he can make. He see stuff 2 seconds before they happen or he did in High school. But he also played with Langford for a lot of years and maybe he just knew where he was going and where to put the ball. It could be those two just had chemistry playing all those years together. But he also dished two a lot of other teammates. I’d be happy with 15 pts 6 assist 3 RB in 25 minutes sounds solid to me don’t know about the TO or fouls let me know.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:32 pm

I just watched the replay on ESPN+. Sean had a pretty good game but it wasn't as good as his previous games. He was a little sloppy with the ball. Not terrible at all but he had been perfect in the other games. Also he missed a few of his floaters which it seemed he never missed previously. I think one thing that's going on with him is that he's been scouted and teams are forcing him to go to his right. He can do it, but he's not quite as comfortable as going to his left.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Sean East and Tre both had their worst halves of the year in the first half. The team pulled away anyways. They stayed upbeat and came out in the 2nd and did their thing. I don’t think anyone would have predicted how well things are going so far this year, especially if you were told Sy wouldn’t have played a minute in the first 4 games. I think this is a top 6 team in the A10 right now, and considering how much youth is on the team, they should only get better. If Sy can get back on the court and do what we hope he can, this could be a top 4 team.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 pm

These guys showed me something when we were carried in the first half by Keon, Samba and Djery (25 points, 11 boards). This allowed Tre, Carl and TJ to shake off a bad 1st half (8 points, 4 boards) with a huge lead and get back to normal in the 2nd half.

We will have so much depth this year if/when Sy makes it back and Kolton's hand recovers that we ought to be able to wear down almost everyone we play.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 pm

I think for the most part this year we’ve played pretty well. There have been some excellent stretches and then also some stretches of play that could best be described as meh. But there hasn’t really been many (if at all) awful stretches. The not turning the ball over thing and the compete level on defense thing are the two things I have been happiest about.

Looking forward though, I’m not sure how we are going to do when the level of competition goes up and I still don’t have a good idea as to where we are going to finish in the conference.

Our first 4 opponents have a combined record of 5-14 I believe, so while I am as optimistic as I have been in quite some time, I am trying to at least recognize that we haven’t been exactly playing a murderer’s row here.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:41 am

Good scheduling to give the guys a chance to get their feet under them to start the season.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 am

^^^^
Agreed. Love the scheduling. 5 cupcakes and then you get into the meat. Let the guys get some confidence going.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:59 am

Yeah I’m not saying I dislike the schedule. Only saying it is something I keep in mind when trying to temper my expectations and that it doesn’t necessarily lend itself to predicting how the rest of the year is going to play out (something also demonstrated in previous seasons.)

And this year the play on the court and spirit off the court does feel different.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 am

^
also agree and tempering expectations when thinking their worst game so far was the 1 road game, and after Rider it's 3 straight road games, and 5 of the remaining 8 OOC games are on the road. Although we can hope at Harvard and Mohegan don't feel like true road games.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:37 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:59 am
Yeah I’m not saying I dislike the schedule. Only saying it is something I keep in mind when trying to temper my expectations and that it doesn’t necessarily lend itself to predicting how the rest of the year is going to play out (something also demonstrated in previous seasons.)

And this year the play on the court and spirit off the court does feel different.
I didn't read it as you disliked the schedule. Your point was well taken. I don't see Northeastern and Rider as cupcakes, but an appropriate level of early season challenge for a very young team. The other three, oh yeah, cupcakes.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:07 pm

In retrospect, maybe Lowell ends up being a cupcake - at the time UMass was a 2.5 point favorite so basically a coin flip game. CCSU & Rider are part of the Mohegan tournament so not even sure how much of that is part of RB scheduling vs they are given to us as home parts of schedule because of the tournament. I've read that last sentence back a few times and it gave me a headache so I'm just gonna leave it.

To Len's point, I think the first 5 games have been perfect for this team. A winnable open vs a local "rival" followed by a winnable first "road" game 90 minutes away. Every game has presented a different test for this team. The CCSU test was smashing an opponent you should easily beat and they aced the test. The Rider test will be to beat a team at home that you are more than a coin flip better than before playing a top 5 team at a neutral site. Classic look ahead spot.

McCall said the team was very focused on CCSU - If they can show the same focus and respect to the opponent here there is no reason not to be 5-0 heading to Mohegan.