Jamaica Classic 2020

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Jamaica Classic 2020

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:15 am

Walfish reported that we're slated to be in the Jamaica Classic field next year.
https://twitter.com/JoshWalfishDHG/stat ... 1728928769

That'll be year 4 of this event. This is one of those events were you get a couple of gimme home games, then two more at the event destination. Not really a tournament as all the matchups are pre-determined.

This year's field: Rhody, LSU, Utah State (pre-season Top 25), North Texas, UMBC, Eastern Michigan, NC A&T, Nicholls State
Rhody get a campus game with Nicholls State, then games in Jamaica vs North Texas and LSU. But according to their current schedule, they don't seem to have a second campus game lined up yet.
Utah State seems to be in the same boat: currently 1 campus game on their schedule (NC A&T). In Jamaica: LSU and N Texas.
LSU gets campus with Nicholls and UMBC, then Utah State and Rhody in Jamaica.

2018 had 8 teams: Georgetown, South Florida, Loyola Marymount, Florida A&M, CCSU, Campbell, Austin Peay, Ohio
2017 had 7 teams: Florida State, Tulane, Miami (OH), LIU-Brooklyn, Colorado State, Fordham, Hartford

Next year's dates: Nov 20-22 (Fri-Sun), the weekend before Thanksgiving.

https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/
https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/champion ... a-classic/

rsox1221
Senior

Re: Jamaica Classic 2020

Post by rsox1221 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:44 am

With the new Multi-Team Event (MTE) rules, you won't be getting four games as part of a tournament anymore. That should take effect officially next season, but there may be some tournaments that are implementing it for this season.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2019 ... 20-21-ncaa

MTEs will max out at three games per school, so next year UMass will get one game on campus then two in Jamaica like Rhody is this season.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Ya Mon

Post by Old Cage » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:43 pm

"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Ya Mon

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:20 am

In case anyone didn't figure out the thread title, we're playing in Jamaica in November!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:50 am

Sounds good.

Any chance we get some press coverage? :wink: :lol:

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:13 am

Looks like there are only 2 other teams in the tournament at the moment: Missouri State and Wake Forest.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:16 am

rsox1221 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:44 am
With the new Multi-Team Event (MTE) rules, you won't be getting four games as part of a tournament anymore. That should take effect officially next season, but there may be some tournaments that are implementing it for this season.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2019 ... 20-21-ncaa

MTEs will max out at three games per school, so next year UMass will get one game on campus then two in Jamaica like Rhody is this season.
UM's release about Jamaica seems to contradict what you said about the 3 games. They indicate all of the participants will get 4 games out of it.
Eight (8) tournament games will be held on the four (4) host campus sites and eight (8) games at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in Jamaica.
Even the Busting Brackets article you posted mentions "up to 4 games" in the MTE.
27 games plus participation in an MTE of up to four contests

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:49 pm

^
To clarify I was quoting that article re: the changes to MTEs. I read the release from UMass and it does say they'll get two and two from this MTE next season, which is different than what the proposed changes would be.

The part that says "up to four games" in an MTE in that article is listed under "current rules" and not the proposed changes to the rules that article was highlighting.

It may be a case where these rules weren't passed as it was thought they would be. I'd have to look into that further because I don't remember reading anything to that effect. At this time of this article's publication the widely-held belief was that the new rules for MTEs were going in for next season and that it would be a max of three contests from the MTE.

EDIT: Here's a release from the NCAA about those proposed rule changes that were advanced by the Division 1 Council (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... t-proposal). That release is what prompted articles like the one from Blogging the Bracket

Also in the BtB article there is this note:
Way back in the final days of September 2018, I was pointed in the direction of some proposed NCAA legislation that would significantly alter the format of the multi-team events (MTEs) that are fixtures on the majority of Division I men’s college basketball November (and in some cases December) schedules. Nine months later, the NCAA’s Division I Council settled on one of the competing options for reform, advancing it to a vote of the full NCAA membership in either January or April of 2020. If approved then, the new rules would go into effect in time for the 2020-21 season.
So while I don't know if it was voted on last month, it may be voted on in April. If it's passed in April, the new rules will go into effect and then number of games will drop from 4 to 3.