KAEO: Dibaji Walker

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Senior

Re: KAEO: Dibaji Walker

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:05 am

I'm certainly not sitting here saying that the kid will be a star for us (maybe he will, maybe not), but I'm not ruling out the possibility that he can help this team. He has some size and sounds fairly skilled, so I'd like to see what he can do. With Kolton, TJ, and Buggs out, and now Sy quitting, the bench is thin. Devildawg said it right, due to attrition he would be a benefit.

Regarding Tony Bergeron hyping up a player, I'll reserve judgement because that guy was hyping everybody up before the season, including Djery as an offensive threat.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:02 am

Jay mentioned Bergeron's preiction during the game on Friday night after Djery made three nice catch and shoot lay-ups. One of them was on a real bullet pass. Who knew?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 am

^
Djery was 4 of 16 from the field before the Yale game and is 5 of 7 since. Not much sample size, but encouraging. With Sy gone, Djery is needed more than ever and might just come through as he stares down the end of his NCAA playing days.
Last edited by bobolink on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:32 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:59 pm
^He shot 42% from the floor, 33% from 3 pointers and less than 60% on Free Throws...which of those are you using as your basis of “lights out shooter”? Regarding your statement regarding limited playing time, he was playing for a coach fighting for his job and the coach would play the players he felt could produce and save his job...so the limited minutes means he didn’t meet that criteria...regarding his height, he was listed at 6-7 at CSU.
I think there are people posting here who have greatly over exaggerated his ability and the impact he will have on this team. Hope I am wrong, but I have seen nothing factual that leads me to think otherwise, just misinformation and speculation passed off as fact..
TruBlu you've been around long enough to know that a one year stat line of a freshman player doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. I'd go more with how coaches evaluate him, and TB has been pretty successful with players he's recruited. Not saying its a definite, but if I had to bet, I'd bet he'll be a positive addition. If you go by stats only, people might not be impressed with a guy like Keon, but I'll take what he brings to this team every day of the week.

Maybe I'm wrong but adding a 6-9 guy ( and he looks about the same as Tre) with the skills he's supposed to possess, gives me reason for optimism when/if he's eligible. Just want to see this program take a big step forward for a change
The E sho, best show in town

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:18 am

Maybe someone from UMass can call the NCAA to wish them a happy holiday. :? :roll:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Better yet wish them a Merry Christmas. I am anti PC.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Berkman wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:02 pm
what if they do not celebrate xmas?

km109
Junior

Post by km109 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:41 pm

The only thing the NCAA celebrates is money.

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:48 pm

^^^^^. The numbers were a rebuttal for the description “Lights out from 3”........the one year stats are not an indicator of a player who will step up a level (or more) in competition and be a major contributor.....FYI...a positive TB evaluation is not the overriding defining element that many are taking......although I was not a History major at UM, I have come to recognize its value as it relates to some people....TB, being one of those.
Please recognize that DW is a receiptiant of a scholarship at UM, primarily as a result of TB. To listen to an evaluation of him from TB and expect it to be anything less than positive is not surprising.
Tell me how your children are doing?....is an example of a similar question and expected response.
If you have any evidence that he will be a “ lights out” 3 point shooter at the Atlantic 10 level, please share it with us..

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:30 pm

No idea if he's a "lights out shooter" but I am optimistic that he will help this team. Apparently you don't and that's cool. Guess we'll find out
The E sho, best show in town

Acer71
Freshman

Post by Acer71 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Doesn't need to be a lights out shooter. If he really wants to be here, and bleeds Maroon, then I'm 100% looking forward to seeing him on the court!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:53 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:36 pm
Berkman wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:02 pm
what if they do not celebrate xmas?
Oy Gevalt! :shock:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:08 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:48 pm
^^^^^. The numbers were a rebuttal for the description “Lights out from 3”........the one year stats are not an indicator of a player who will step up a level (or more) in competition and be a major contributor.....FYI...a positive TB evaluation is not the overriding defining element that many are taking......although I was not a History major at UM, I have come to recognize its value as it relates to some people....TB, being one of those.
Please recognize that DW is a receiptiant of a scholarship at UM, primarily as a result of TB. To listen to an evaluation of him from TB and expect it to be anything less than positive is not surprising.
Tell me how your children are doing?....is an example of a similar question and expected response.
If you have any evidence that he will be a “ lights out” 3 point shooter at the Atlantic 10 level, please share it with us..
From those I know who have seen him in practice and what the coaches have said and not just Bergeron he is probably just behind Pierre weeks and Jackson as far as 3 point shooting. Which is pretty good company to be in and would lead me to believe he is a high level or lights out shooter. I wouldn’t put much stock in his freshman stats. That team had multiple pip type players his percentages are not bad considering his playing time was highly inconsistent

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 pm

I’m guessing folks have different definitions of “lights out” shooter so this is kind of a dumb argument to have if you ask me (I know nobody did). I also think it’s dumb to put a ton of stock — in either direction — of fairly limited freshman year stats. I bet Carmelo Travieso had pretty crappy shooting #s his first year and he turned out to pretty damn good.

I also don’t put a ton of stock in what Bergeron says — he seems to hype up everyone even the non-Woodstock guys. If there are other folks close to the team saying the kid can shoot/play well that’s promising but it doesn’t really mean a ton to me. Marty seems really high on him on his podcast — I have no idea if that’s actually based on a lot but that’s something I guess.

I’m just gonna wait and see when he (finally) gets on the court. I watched a little bit of his high school highlights and I don’t know how much you can actually get from those (some folks seem to take more from it than me). His shot looks fine. He looks fairly long and fairly athletic. We could use all those things.

That of course would mean the NCAA would have to grant his waiver. Who knows if they say yes. Who knows if they even say anything. Doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to how and when they do things.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:04 pm

Jackson96 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 pm
I’m guessing folks have different definitions of “lights out” shooter so this is kind of a dumb argument to have if you ask me (I know nobody did). I also think it’s dumb to put a ton of stock — in either direction — of fairly limited freshman year stats. I bet Carmelo Travieso had pretty crappy shooting #s his first year and he turned out to pretty damn good.

I also don’t put a ton of stock in what Bergeron says — he seems to hype up everyone even the non-Woodstock guys. If there are other folks close to the team saying the kid can shoot/play well that’s promising but it doesn’t really mean a ton to me. Marty seems really high on him on his podcast — I have no idea if that’s actually based on a lot but that’s something I guess.

I’m just gonna wait and see when he (finally) gets on the court. I watched a little bit of his high school highlights and I don’t know how much you can actually get from those (some folks seem to take more from it than me). His shot looks fine. He looks fairly long and fairly athletic. We could use all those things.

That of course would mean the NCAA would have to grant his waiver. Who knows if they say yes. Who knows if they even say anything. Doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to how and when they do things.
Who is Marty and what podcast does he have