2019-20 season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: 2019-20 season

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:24 pm

As much as players need to know when to take a chance in the press, they also need to recognize when they need to back off. I think that aspect has gotten much better over the course of the season.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 am

The latest from Walfish: https://www.gazettenet.com/Walfish-Time ... s-32100245

He's calling McCall out - time to to step up and lead this team. It's not easy to call a coach out when you're the only beat reporter covering the team other than the school paper.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:53 am

I have been neutral, if not a little critical, of Walfish’s reporting this year, but I’m happy he wrote this. The team is getting progressively worse as the season goes on, and it needs to stop ASAP. They don’t need to win every game, but they can never lose by 24 at home when you’re a 5 point favorite. GW was reminiscent of some of the last games of the DK era, and we know how that turned out. A coach getting fired despite having brought in a seemingly very talented freshmen class. Except this time there doesn’t need to be a mass exodus of talent if the coach is fired.......

If you don’t like the speculation talk, stop reading now.

I see a lot of people wanting TB installed as head coach. I think the best way to do that is a mid season change,installing him as interim coach and seeing how it looks. It’s too big a gamble to hire a guy with TBs experience as a permanent coach during an offseason search. If THAT didn’t work out, it would be real tough to find a good coach after that kind of debacle.

Timeline:
Fire DK, majority of talent transfers.
Hire MM, suck for 2 years, fire assistants.
Bring in new assistants, one of which brings no college experience but lots of talent. Still suck.
Fire MM, hire assistant with no college experience as D1 head coach in the best mid major league.
TB doesn’t work out, gets fired and any remaining talent he brought leaves.

No one established or on a lot of people’s search lists would want to walk into that.

I think you need to stick with MM the rest of the year, unless we have multiple repeats of GW.

If it’s still obvious he isn’t the guy next year, go TB interim mid season.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:24 am

Who the heck is TB?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am

Speculation on MM being let go this year can be put to rest as they are not going to make that move(debating whether it should happen is fine) unless something happens off the court. The moves that the program made in the off season were a 3-4 year plan, with a minimum of 2 if things were to continue spiraling. The coaches brought in were guaranteed this.
Also, TB did come here with the plan to be head coach down the road but that would only happen if the team turned around and MM moved on...not going to happen if the team fails under this staff.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 am

Tony Bergeron.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 am

I agree with giving MM next year and have all along unless the situation sours to the point that Tre and TJ start thinking about moving on. Truthfully the best thing would be to show some improvement the rest of the season, everyone feels a little better, and we can give it a shot next year. MM needs to step it up for that to happen tho. Getting rid of him this year will only hurt the program IMO

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am
Speculation on MM being let go this year can be put to rest as they are not going to make that move(debating whether it should happen is fine) unless something happens off the court. The moves that the program made in the off season were a 3-4 year plan, with a minimum of 2 if things were to continue spiraling. The coaches brought in were guaranteed this.
Also, TB did come here with the plan to be head coach down the road but that would only happen if the team turned around and MM moved on...not going to happen if the team fails under this staff.
I've felt that TB is a succession plan hire all all along. He's said that the HC job at UMass is his goal. He's won everywhere he's coached and I've read that his players will run through walls for him.

Tre, TJ, Preston, Dibaji and signee McCrory are his guys...and possibly Buggs?

How much of a role has he played the recruitment of the other freshmen and/or Garcia?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:08 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am
First, great to see TheOFFseason chiming in. second, Something I don’t get: so if the program continues to spiral for this year and next, they decide to blow it up again and start over? That seems to be what this says. And on the other side, if we see progression and we get to really good and McCall leaves, Bergeron would slide into the head coach position. I guess the second part of this makes sense. If they have to blow it up again, it may actually result in seeing crowds in the hundreds. All of this said, a blowout loss at home to a less-than-mediocre GW is never acceptable.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am

LS71 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 am
How much of a role has he played the recruitment of the other freshmen and/or Garcia?
In a roundabout way, East is TB's find. When TB was hired, MM told him that we needed a point guard. TB said there was a kid who played against Woodstock that year and they couldn't stop him. It was East. That's when they went after him.

Almontis
Junior

Post by Almontis » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 am

Ya, good piece by Walfish.

Question for TheOFFSeason:

There was a lot of talk last year about getting guys from winning programs who do the little things, make winning plays and hold each other accountable. Why does that not seem to be translating?

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:57 am

Almontis wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 am
Ya, good piece by Walfish.

Question for TheOFFSeason:

There was a lot of talk last year about getting guys from winning programs who do the little things, make winning plays and hold each other accountable. Why does that not seem to be translating?
They are not being held accountable by the coaching staff. Guys that get beat as bad as our guys have on defense and take I’ll advised shots routinely should Have their PT reduced.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm gonna reverse my position on McCall after the GW game. I thought he was heading in the right direction but I was wrong. No coach in his third year who's gonna amount to anything puts out a product like Saturday's. By this point you know what you've got in your coach. We knew what DK was in his third year. We knew the same for all our coaches, including the very good ones like Cal and Ford. So I'm convinced this is who McCall is. I'm in the camp of firing him and Make TB the interim. It seems like the perfect opportunity. McCall needs to go, now let's see what we've got with TB. He was a proven winner at the HS level, let's see what he can do now. If miraculously he can pull things together a bit then we can keep most of our recruits including TJ and Tre. And be really set for the long term. I don't see any point keeping McCall around any longer.

Just want to add that Saturday was the first time I've lost sleep over a game since Ford lost in the first round of the conference tourney. I swear, that memory of GW scoring on the inbound play with 2 secs is like a trauma I can't get out of my mind. I know that's f**cked.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:48 pm

^ It's interesting that that hasn't been much chatter about the 2 seconds left in-bounds play. I think it's because we had played so badly all game long that it wasn't totally unexpected and it really didn't matter. That, in itself, is very sad. Normally, that would have generated 20 comments.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:03 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:52 pm
I'm gonna reverse my position on McCall after the GW game. I thought he was heading in the right direction but I was wrong. No coach in his third year who's gonna amount to anything puts out a product like Saturday's. By this point you know what you've got in your coach. We knew what DK was in his third year. We knew the same for all our coaches, including the very good ones like Cal and Ford. So I'm convinced this is who McCall is. I'm in the camp of firing him and Make TB the interim. It seems like the perfect opportunity. McCall needs to go, now let's see what we've got with TB. He was a proven winner at the HS level, let's see what he can do now. If miraculously he can pull things together a bit then we can keep most of our recruits including TJ and Tre. And be really set for the long term. I don't see any point keeping McCall around any longer.

Just want to add that Saturday was the first time I've lost sleep over a game since Ford lost in the first round of the conference tourney. I swear, that memory of GW scoring on the inbound play with 2 secs is like a trauma I can't get out of my mind. I know that's f**cked.
I’m so glad I’m way past the age of losing sleep over the results of games...in any sport.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon