2019-20 season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DirSport
Junior

Re: 2019-20 season

Post by DirSport » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:42 pm

I can't let this date slide by without a mention. Jack Leaman would have turned 87 today.

Looking back to his years on the radio, UMass played three times on his birthday -- once in Puerto Rico (1999) and once in Wilmington, NC (1996), and I'm not sure if he made those trips. But the one game I know he was at came during the Final Four season, 12/22/1995 at the Meadowlands vs. Georgia Tech, where I made sure to let then-color analyst Tony Barbee know so he could fete Coach on the air. It went over well, as I recall.

If he were still with us, I feel certain that Coach would manage to be in attendance at every home game. Even without him, though, his presence at Mullins remains overarching.

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:42 am

78 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:40 pm
Wow...this season appears to be rapidly disintegrating. Chatman gone, buggs out for season, Mitchell still out, still no decision from NCAA on walker, and TJ’s illness/injury sounding worse and more serious by the minute. Might be time to lower the win projection from 13 to 10/11. We may soon look like we did in year 1 of McCall with a dearth of bodies. I’m starting to think this program is cursed.
Let’s not go that far. This team, even with all the current injuries, is much better than the 2017-18 squad in terms of both depth and star power. Okay, so we had to play CJ Jackson a little bit more than we might have liked, but A) he’s actually pretty good, and B) let’s not forget that we were having to give real minutes to Rayshawn Miller, Jaylen Franklin, and Randall West in 2017-18.

As far as the top of the rotation, give me Tre, Junior Carl, and Easy East over Pip, freshman Carl and CJ Anderson 8 days a week. Add TJ in there (and Malik I guess as the 4th of 2017-18) and it becomes not even close in this year’s favor. Here’s to hoping that TJ is back sooner rather than later.

Also, a note about Sy: his loss is addition by subtraction in my mind. Good kid and good athlete but his fit was clearly awkward and it never improved over the course of his 6 games. It’s also worth mentioning that our Sy record is 0-6 and our without Sy record is 6-0. I know the schedule was way harder with him, but it wasn’t just that we lost - it was how we lost. I’m inclined to think that if the without-Sy team was heading into Cambridge following the Northeastern game, for example, they would have come a hell of a lot closer than 34 points.

I know the league is tough this year and I know we aren’t a great team, but I think we have the talent and character to be a good one. Sure we took some lumps, but at the end of the day, we’ve lost the ones we should have and won the ones we should have. It’s also nice that our most recent two were an OT and an easy win - shows me that we didn’t let that stretch get to our focus and confidence.

Let’s go beat Akron and head into a winnable SLU game feeling good.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 am

^^^
I said we may look like that year in terms of the number of bodies. Said nothing about talent. If this team wins 6 games in the A10, it will be a successful season, next year will be huge for coach McCall.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 am

A different way of coaching.
Paul Biancardi
‏Verified account
@PaulBiancardi
38m38 minutes ago
More
“I don’t do rebounding drills. I teach the block-out on the defensive glass and how to move a second time on the offensive glass. We emphasize rebounding on every live free throw, drill & scrimmage.” Coach Rick Majerus

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:05 pm

78 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 am
^^^
I said we may look like that year in terms of the number of bodies. Said nothing about talent. If this team wins 6 games in the A10, it will be a successful season, next year will be huge for coach McCall.
I guess I’m just not as down on us as you are overall. I think we could absolutely win 8 A10 games. We have to take into account that with a team this young, they probably aren’t nearly as good as they will be in Feb and March. It also helps that we are a solid home team and four of our first 8 games are very winnable home games (La Salle, Duquesne, GW, Saint Joe’s). Probably not going to win at SLU or at Dayton, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we stole one at Mason or the neutral site game against Bona. Give me three of those four home games and just one of the other 4 (a very, very foreseeable outcome) and suddenly we are just about halfway through the season at 4-4 feeling pretty good.

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Slapthefloor93 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:05 pm
78 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 am
^^^
I think we could absolutely win 8 A10 games.
It also helps that we are a solid home team and four of our first 8 games are very winnable home games (La Salle, Duquesne, GW, Saint Joe’s). Probably not going to win at SLU or at Dayton, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we stole one at Mason or the neutral site game against Bona. Give me three of those four home games and just one of the other 4 (a very, very foreseeable outcome) and suddenly we are just about halfway through the season at 4-4 feeling pretty good.
I don't share your optimism at this point but I hope I'm wrong. Duquesne is 9-0 with a 63 rpi. For GW and St Joe's we'll be favored. Hopefully we take one of the two between LaSalle and Duquesne, maybe. For the last ten games we play at home against Mason (having a great year although their only tough games have been with Maryland and maybe New Mexico State), Dayton, SLU, VCU and URI. Those will all be tough games. We generally don't do well in conference on the road and Fordham may be the only gimme.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:11 pm

St. Bonaventure in Rochester New York will not be neutral site. It will be packed with Bonnie's fans who will make the trek because they have nothing else to do whereas the UMass presence will be minuscule at best.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:22 pm

Fair enough to the last two comments - but I stand by what I said about we should win three of the home games with La Salle, GW, Joe’s, Duquesne, the games at Mason and Bona are very winnable - neither team is great they are both probably finishing in the 5th-8th range - and then I’ll be a realist and pencil in losses at SLU and Dayton. Very attainable path to 4-4 and I think it’s a good goal to shoot for. 3-5 is also likely, but I’m not counting out 5-3 either. F*** it, let’s believe in these boys until they give us a reason not to.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:00 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:11 pm
St. Bonaventure in Rochester New York will not be neutral site. It will be packed with Bonnie's fans who will make the trek because they have nothing else to do whereas the UMass presence will be minuscule at best.
Our old friend Tim Kenney did us a huge favor by not having to go all the way out to Olean. Thanks TK

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 pm

not the biggest favor, since that game will be played while Bona's on break. If I were Tim K, I'd much rather schedule UMass, where home court advantage might not be needed, rather than other, tougher A-10 games. But we're ahead of ourselves as OOC isn't even done yet.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:41 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 am
:wink:

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Niles, we've missed you.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:34 pm

bobolink wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 pm
not the biggest favor, since that game will be played while Bona's on break. If I were Tim K, I'd much rather schedule UMass, where home court advantage might not be needed, rather than other, tougher A-10 games. But we're ahead of ourselves as OOC isn't even done yet.
The favor is you don’t have to go to Olean. Ever tried to get there? Not easy, much rather go to Rochester.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:58 am

You could actually take a plane to Rochester, theoretically speaking. I am actually sitting in Rochester at this very moment where my wife's mother lives. Only a 5-hour Drive from the Happy Valley.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:54 am

didn't realize Olean was as far as it is. Never been and probably never will.

If Weeks and Walker can play we'll see a couple more Ws :D