KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:27 am

Rudy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:00 am
For those who know these signees well how does Tre compare to Jalen. I assume we will have both on the floor. Does one project more as a power forward.
In my opinion, Jalen is our future center and Tre Mitchell is our future stretch 4. They can definitely play together.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:35 am

78 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:52 am
McKinney wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:49 am
78 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:39 am
Not crazy about the knocks UMass is getting Twitter regarding how “sleazy” the process was to get him, but I guess if you want to win you gotta play the game like the big dogs do.
Tre gets to play with three of his current teammates. Weeks gets to play as a legacy. UMass is hiring the coach of one of the best prep teams making national noise. What's sleazy about that? Ignore the haters.
That’s why I put the word sleazy in quotes. Guess people are just bitter...
Sour grapes. F*ck ‘em!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:16 am

If anyone says it’s sleazy... one word: jealousy. If this happened to their team they would take it 10 out of 10 times.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:49 pm

78 wrote:
Really glad Tre is going to play here. Not crazy about the knocks UMass is getting on Twitter regarding how “sleazy” the process was to get him, but I guess if you want to win you gotta play the game like the big dogs do. Hope it all works out for the best.
All the programs he was looking at would gladly have found a less than reputable way of landing any 4/5 star prospect. They are just bitter. What's wrong with following your coach and your buddies from school. Sounds like a really cool way to transition to the next level.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:24 pm

78 wrote:
Really glad Tre is going to play here. Not crazy about the knocks UMass is getting on Twitter regarding how “sleazy” the process was to get him, but I guess if you want to win you gotta play the game like the big dogs do. Hope it all works out for the best.
What are people saying? I don't look at twitter often. Is it against some secret basketball code to hire the coach of the highly sought after recruit? If that's sleazy, then I wonder what word people use to describe what's been going on at LSU, Louisville, Kansas, etc etc etc.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:17 pm

I don't think it was sleazy at all. I believe it was USC who just hired the father of the Mobley brothers - both 5 star recruits from CA...every major D1 school is after them but they will most likely land at USC because his father is now the assistant. There is no rule against it and quite frankly I think it was a brilliant move what Umass did. I would not be surprised if other A-10 level schools copy what Umass did. This is the type of kid that would usually go to an ACC or Big East school, so for Umass to think outside the box and get creative in their recruiting, why wouldn't others do the same?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:35 pm

There has been a few occasions where someone not qualified has been hired to get a player to come with them...that is a little sleazy. That is also not the case here

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Basically tweets saying how bad it looks bringing in a high school coach in order to get some players to commit. I don’t buy it, as plenty of schools have done similar things. If that’s what we have to do, that’s what we have to do.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for clarifying, and no, definitely not sleazy at all hiring a local guy who has worked his way up the coaching ladder and deserves the spot on staff.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 pm

If the news was only that Tony Bergeron was getting hired with no reference to any recruits, I would have been intrigued and hopeful. It would have looked like a good move to me. It just so happens he is bringing along some recruits, as coaches often do. I'm not sure that Tre Mitchell was the reason TB was hired.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Battle Ax
Sophomore

Post by Battle Ax » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:09 am

inthescoop wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:16 am
If anyone says it’s sleazy... one word: jealousy. If this happened to their team they would take it 10 out of 10 times.
With all the other investigations and coaches getting in trouble this is nowhere close to sleazy.

tom mclaughlin
Sophomore

Post by tom mclaughlin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 am

Congratulations to UMass and Coach McCall for winning this recruiting battle and also for naming an assistant that has paid his
dues so to speak and is a local guy. Of course other schools are going to complain but they don’t want us to be competitive and lose
to them - it makes it easier if we don’t get blue chip players.
This sort of arrangement is nothing new. Look at Kansas and Danny Manning. Larry Brown hired Ed Manning and all it did was bring a
national Championship to KU. Then our own university has done a similar thing in the past and it worked out well for all parties. Jack Leaman happened to hire Ray Wilson and he in turn recruited the best player ever to play @ UMass. Thanks to Ray coming to Amherst
and bringing a skinny player named Julius Erving with him. Then he brings Al Skinner right behind Julius.
Good luck to Coach McCall and UMass Basketball.

Battle Ax
Sophomore

Post by Battle Ax » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:03 am

tom mclaughlin wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 am
Congratulations to UMass and Coach McCall for winning this recruiting battle and also for naming an assistant that has paid his
dues so to speak and is a local guy. Of course other schools are going to complain but they don’t want us to be competitive and lose
This sort of arrangement is nothing new. Look at Kansas and Danny Manning. Larry Brown hired Ed Manning and all it did was bring a
national Championship to KU. Then our own university has done a similar thing in the past and it worked out well for all parties. Jack Leaman happened to hire Ray Wilson and he in turn recruited the best player ever to play @ UMass. Thanks to Ray coming to Amherst
and bringing a skinny player named Julius Erving with him. Then he brings Al Skinner right behind Julius.
Great point

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:20 am

tom mclaughlin wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 am
Ray and Jack played together at BU under Zuni and I believe that Julius was here a season before Ray arrived. Jack had wanted Ray before, but he didn’t come and then his house got broken into and he made the move, I believe is how the story goes.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 am

^ Tom great points! Recruiting is a zero sum game in that there is only so much talent available in any given class to be divided amongst all the D1 schools. We are suddenly a threat (in a minor way so far) to the status quo. Reminds me of when UConn refused to play us while our program was on the rise because they had controlled New England basketball dominance for so many years and the last thing they wanted was to give us any credibility and threaten that dominance.

3 years in was the magic number for UMass Hockey. 3rd year for UMass coach MM, anything is possible! This has been a perfect offseason so far.