KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
petefza
Sophomore

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by petefza » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Wait...wasn’t this the plot line for the HBO show Ballers last season?

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:27 pm

...with Victor Cruz in the intro!
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:36 pm

petefza wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 pm Wait...wasn’t this the plot line for the HBO show Ballers last season?
Sort of but he was trying to use the kid to sell a tv package

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:00 am

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ell-209188
If you haven't seen the highlights from the hoophall, it shows the kind of game Tre has.. I'm pretty sure the kid he was going against is going to Gonzaga so it's not some 6'3 high school kid.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:51 am

"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:28 am

^ The opponent is Montverde Academy, a BB powerhouse from FL. Check out their website. Recent grads are Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid and that Kyrie guy.

I think the 2 guys Mitchell is going against are 7-1 Koprivica, a 4* player going to FL State and Precious Achiuwa, the #12 player in the country. Kind of hard to tell from their photos, but they are on the roster.

https://mvasports.com/sports/2016/12/29 ... ath=mbball

https://mvasports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 am

TheInsider wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:00 am https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ell-209188
If you haven't seen the highlights from the hoophall, it shows the kind of game Tre has.. I'm pretty sure the kid he was going against is going to Gonzaga so it's not some 6'3 high school kid.
I saw TM last year and he had the hands and feet that you see in that video but he wasn’t tough or aggressive...would float out to the perimeter as the game got competitive. This year it’s the opposite, he goes and gets the ball, he goes to the rim etc. Watch games this weekend and you will see that the winning time of the games are still won around the rim...he has that ability and will be able to do it in the A10 from the start.
I realize that was a highlight tape but it wasn’t about dunks and flashy plays that happen few times a game, if that. His highlights are about doing things that help win games:
He is never in a rush which helps the other 4 players get into the spots they are supposed to be.
He always looks when he catches the ball before committing himself to a move...this cuts down on turnovers and gives him time to not only find a cutter or open 3 pt shooter but also to use his footwork properly to get his man off balance.
There is a play on that tape where he throws a high-low pass to a teammate for an easy hoop...one game I was at this year he hit Matt Cross with that pass 3 times in the first half.
You can run an offense thru him and be sure it goes all the way through.
He is not going to wow you with athleticism but he was matched up with a top 40 junior this year(who I think will play in the NBA) who is a great athlete and he picked him apart with his skill...made him look like a jv player as Tony mentioned. What he was ultimately saying is that many top ranked kids are there based on potential and TM is about production...production>potential

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:44 am

NilesGold wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:18 pm So in addition to the fact that Tony Bergeron is Tre Mitchell's coach, here's another wrinkle to help explain why TB and Tre are a package deal. This is a tweet from Tre Mitchell's mother...

https://twitter.com/erin3love/status/11 ... 7853805569
Hoo-boy. This whole saga has the potential to spark a new run of success at UMass, or it could blow up into a massive embarrassment. IMO, bring on the risk!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 am

Oh, man, it's gonna be one big happy family. Or one big family, anyway. Or one big something.

p.s. Tre seems like a natural PF, so the line-up with both him and Jalen is realistic and elite.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 am

^Good to see you are coming around to our way of thinking, Len. :D After the 0-4 A10 post season flameout, I hope McCall sees the value in building a team for the tournament, and not just the A10. Cal's teams could compete with anyone, and dominated A10 for 5 years.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 am

If for some reason this doesn't come to fruition, I will be so devastated that there won't be enough alcohol in Western Mass to fix things. That's a sad state of affairs and it shows the level of fandom for some of us, myself included.

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:11 am

69MG wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 am If for some reason this doesn't come to fruition, I will be so devastated that there won't be enough alcohol in Western Mass to fix things. That's a sad state of affairs and it shows the level of fandom for some of us, myself included.
LMAO!!!! I feel the same way

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 am

If his passing skills are as advertised that will be something. Being able to run your offense through him would really help things. Cady and RH were very capable in the low post but double teams could really bog things down for them (Cady could step away a bit to help offset this) — it sounds like Mitchell’s skills are really varied.

He looks comfortable in the highlights using both hands. That has me kneading myself (which I rarely do over recruits, I’m usually pretty measured.)
Last edited by Jackson96 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:54 am

69MG wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 am If for some reason this doesn't come to fruition, I will be so devastated that there won't be enough alcohol in Western Mass to fix things. That's a sad state of affairs and it shows the level of fandom for some of us, myself included.
I've got a lot of wine stored up, and will be draining bottles if this all falls apart.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:56 am

I know it's just a highlight tape but he's got that pro-look. Very cool, calm, confident just getting it done, not over complicating just using his physical skills, and solid fundamentals. And these aren't tapes against Div 3 cannon fodder, he's playing against high level competition. Very promising!!