Should McCall be given a third year

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Should McCall be given a third year

Answer the (Mc)call for a third year!
87%
Hang up the (Mc)call
13%

Total votes: 69

UMass1927
Sophomore

Re: Should McCall be given a third year

Post by UMass1927 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:13 am

The real question isn't "should be given a 3rd year?" Of course he should. Mostly because he deserves an opportunity to do the job (UMass was never going to be "fixed" in 2 seasons) and financially it makes no sense to remove him.

The better question is what expectations are there for him in year 3? If he fails to meet those expectations, would he be fired at this time next year? I lean towards giving him 4 seasons no matter what but if we're still a punching bag its probably time for a coaching change.

At that point, it would probably be time to move on from Bamford as well. I wouldn't want him making another key decision with the way football and basketball have been going the last few years.
Make UMass Basketball Great Again

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:19 am

As others have noted...he has his third year, so the topic of the thread is moot.

Given the changes he's making for next year, his third year will be very interesting.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:47 am

MJatUM wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:09 pm
Bertrand with a not so veiled shot at McCall today on the radio. He went on a mini rant about how BC and UMass need to get their shit together because there's no real buzz when they're not in the tournament. Anyway his line was about how "The UMass coach won't shut up and tie he used to be Billy Donovans ball boy."
I appreciate Bertrand's enthusiasm as an alum, but he couldn't be more off base with that comment. If Umass was in the tournament would there be a buzz in Boston? No. If they were consistently good like they were in the 90's or if BC was even as recently as the mid 2000's, then sure maybe. But a one off appearance isn't going to generate much buzz in NE. Maybe he should have rooted for Vermont, Northeastern or Yale or talked about them on his program.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am

^ Well he did talk about those programs and mentioned he would watch. But he also referenced the 90's and aughts (for BC) and how there was real buzz around the NCAA tournament in this area and gave people a team(s) to rally around. Zo didn't even remember UMass made the tournament in 2014 so you're right, a one off appearance doesn't mean squat.

I just posted that one quote from the segment since we know Bertrand follows athletics and didn't pull that punch at McCall.

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:11 pm

I do wonder what that was all about. If there's something there. Bertrand liked Kellogg, but Kellogg also went on his show and he's a throwback from the Calipari days.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Anyone starting to change their mind on this one way or another

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:58 pm

After Harvard, I was really pissed off at McCall for blaming the players. I was convinced he was a loser. After last night, I'm thinking, wow, this is a lot of talent. These guys are gonna be amazing when they are juniors. I never ever felt that way when Kellogg brought in his last class, as good as it was. So I'm on the optimistic portion of my mood cycle right now.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:59 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:58 pm
These guys are gonna be amazing when they are juniors. I never ever felt that way when Kellogg brought in his last class, as good as it was. So I'm on the optimistic portion of my mood cycle right now.
I'd like some of those mood lifting meds you're on. Actually I'm still in the juries still out mode. But I'm starting to get anxious.

m626t
Senior

Post by m626t » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 pm

ask me at the end of next season if he deserves another year.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Fair enough
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:39 pm

I was at Umass during the Calipari era...I saw them bring in McCoy then Herndon, then Barbee etc...I really feel this is the start of something special. We all need to give this 2-3 years...McCall deserves another couple years. He came into a terrible situation...he was grabbing football players just to be able to practice...out of all of this he got Carl Pierre...arguably the best 3 point shooter Umass has ever had...and this was after no one recruited him. I would have loved to seen what Kelloggs last recruiting class would have done had they had four years together...there is no doubt in my mind they would have made at least two NCAA's and most likely been Top 25. I keep telling my 15 year old son...the best thing about Freshman is that they become Sophomore's...I'd love to see these guys stay here and all become Juniors and god willing Seniors. I really think these Freshman along with Garcia and McCory can be special...maybe not Final Four special, but a good 2-3 year run of NCAA's and hopefully get back to respectability. Keep your expectations low this year...they aren't going anywhere...next year they will be so much better, the following year expectations should be sky high...if they don't meet those expectations, then maybe we should strongly consider moving on from McCall...until then I think we need to give the kids and coaches a chance. Give these Freshman a couple years...they deserve it!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:13 pm

No change in my stance. I said that he needs to have the program moving in the right direction this year and I still believe that. This year’s class is really solid and McCall will be given at least one more year to make things click unless this season turns into a complete disaster. The jury is still out for me on him.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:18 am

Through the end of the '21 season at a minimum, barring anything crazy (like back to back 10 win years).

He's shown he can bring in a high level of player, and he's shown he can get the guys to play for him after last season.

Letting him go after a tough year this year is only going to hurt the program. Unless there was a mutiny and everyone wanted to stay to play for TB....

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:17 am

Nothing has changed for me, really...too early. Still have some questions about the coach and I haven’t loved some of his in game moves (and non-moves) this year, but this is a reset on top of a reset, it’s going to take a little time. He’s gonna get it, not necessarily because he’s earned it, but because there is clearly potential with the kids on the roster.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:52 am

You have to think coaches develop just like players do. I think MM is a guy thats constantly looking to improve, and I think he will. He's shown he's willing to make changes, he's shown he's willing work hard, he has taken accountability for his program, and I truely feel like he cares about his players. His rosters have been constantly changing in his 3 years, so adapting the play has been a work in progress. I think he gets at least 2 years after this one to see where he can take a talented young roster and good staff to, and if he can make adjustments to put the team in the best position to win games. Its taken a bit to settle the roster situation, so now lets see what he can do.

I think this staff is pretty good and will figure things out. And the talent is exciting. I think we're a piece or two away from being a real good team and ready for a breakout season

So, unless things implode quickly, I'm optimistically patient and willing to see how things play out for 2-3 years
The E sho, best show in town