Should McCall be given a third year

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Should McCall be given a third year

Answer the (Mc)call for a third year!
86%
Hang up the (Mc)call
14%

Total votes: 65

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: Should McCall be given a third year

Post by NilesGold » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 pm

kd68 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:32 pm
During his first year I seem to remember him removing two of his players (starters?),for shoplifting. There was a joke going around then that Umass led the nation in steals. I think Umass is making a mistake by keeping McCall and it is time to cut our losses. What would define an acceptable improvement for next year? Maybe not playing the first day of the tournament?
I was going to post this in the State of the Program thread, but it fits here too. I defended Kellogg until the middle of his 9th season here, when it became obvious to me that he wasn't up to the task... many people saw that a long time before me. I don't know for sure that McCall can turn this around, but I think it's crazy to even suggest he be fired before year 3. First off, if you fire a coach after 2 seasons of a rebuild it makes it much harder to attract a good coach to take what's still a rebuild. More importantly, McCall has admittedly made mistakes, I want to see what he does to try and course correct, because I believe he's a smart guy and a hard worker and I'm cautiously optimistic that he can succeed here.

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 pm

kd68 wrote:
During his first year I seem to remember him removing two of his players (starters?),for shoplifting. There was a joke going around then that Umass led the nation in steals. I think Umass is making a mistake by keeping McCall and it is time to cut our losses. What would define an acceptable improvement for next year? Maybe not playing the first day of the tournament?
Who are we talking about having players caught shop lifting?

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:16 am

^
When Cal came onboard there were a couple issues with the guys he inherited from Gerfulson. Amazing what Cal did with no facilities and one of the worst programs of the previous decade.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:58 am

UMassfan_19 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 pm
kd68 wrote:
Who are we talking about having players caught shop lifting?
David Brown and Duane Chase. The Boston papers were all over it. For a couple years Cal complained that the Boston papers wouldn't send reporters out for games, but they would send them out if someone got in trouble.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:00 am

NilesGold wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 pm
McCall has admittedly made mistakes, I want to see what he does to try and course correct, because I believe he's a smart guy and a hard worker and I'm cautiously optimistic that he can succeed here.
Yes, absolutely. I think he's a self-reflection kind of guy that's going to go roll up his sleeves and get better. I'll be very interested to hear him on the radio show tonight and to see what this team looks like from a pride standpoint as they wrap up the season in Brooklyn.

Acer71
Freshman

Post by Acer71 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:58 am

This year the team was mostly his, filled out with inherited players and last minute pieces. Next year it is all his. I want to see big team improvement on D, Rebounding.
Don't expect a championship team, just one that gives other teams fits and plays with a chip on their shoulder showing they give a shit!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:49 am

Juice Stand wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:00 am
NilesGold wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 pm
McCall has admittedly made mistakes, I want to see what he does to try and course correct, because I believe he's a smart guy and a hard worker and I'm cautiously optimistic that he can succeed here.
Yes, absolutely. I think he's a self-reflection kind of guy that's going to go roll up his sleeves and get better. I'll be very interested to hear him on the radio show tonight and to see what this team looks like from a pride standpoint as they wrap up the season in Brooklyn.
Nothing that happens in the A10 tournament will change my mind, half of this roster and 1 or more staff members are probably gone. The only thing that really matters now (as it relates to the future) is what happens during the off-season.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 am

Oye. What a terrible thread. Of course he should be back next year.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 am

This question is fucking dumb.

Umass did not have the pick of the litter when they picked McCall and will not ever have that luxury. Frankly, MM checked off all the right boxes for our situation. Young and energetic, from a pretty damn good coaching tree in Donovan, good southern connections for recruiting, and a stand up guy in terms of taking responsibility. He is frustrated and rightfully so. He is responsible, but there are times when you just cannot crack the code no matter what you do. There are dozens of examples of this every year around the country.

You fire this guy now, Umass is immediately toxic in the coaching fraternity. Then you end up having to settle for a guy like Seth Greenburg - um, no thanks.

Two years is not a fair assessment period for any coach in just about any sport. Nobody thought the results would be what they are this year, and this roster is just not what we thought it would be. It looks like we have a couple solid recruits coming in and I think we will see a player of two we did not expect to leave suddenly "decide" to leave. I can take one more 10 win season next year if we have a sophomore/freshman heavy team that is playing and improving with Pierre leading them.

Expectations need to be realistic and they are not right now.
In Matt McCall I trust!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 am

Berkman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:14 pm
I have been trying to find out what Cal's records were his first 3 seasons but so far no results. Can some of you season search hunters find out?
You're literally on the website that will answer this
http://umasshoops.com/wiki/doku.php?id=calipari_john

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:53 am

MikeUMA wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 am

You're literally on the website that will answer this
http://umasshoops.com/wiki/doku.php?id=calipari_john

Speaking of... unless I'm missing it, I don't see any link to the wiki page on the forum main page. Might be good to have that in the top bar next to FAQ so people can get there quickly if they need to dig up info like this.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 am

My confidence level in McCall is about 20 percent right now...that said, he has to be given one more year. If it's a dud, bye bye.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am

I have already stated that he gets another year without question, and with the moves that are in motion he should be ok...However, take a look at what Jamion Christian did/is doing at Siena this year...no real rebuilding needed, just come in and teach/coach/relate and you can win more than you lose. He took over a situation at least as bad as what MM did here and was predicted to finish 2nd last in the MAAC and tied for 2nd. He would’ve come here in a second...that is neither here nor there, but the point is the right guy doesn’t need ‘his players ‘ or 2-3 years to get things going all the time.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 am

^ Some valid points, but I don't think we can ignore the fact that the MAAC is absolutely awful this year... Iona has the best conference record, overall record, and Kenpom rank, their overall record is 16-15 and Kenpom rank is 206th... Siena is 11-7 in conference, 17-16 overall, and 265th in Kenpom. Hats off to Christian for getting Jalen Pickett in the late period, while other teams were reportedly scared off by his academics, because he's been an absolute star for them, and without him Siena would probably be much worse. There were extenuating circumstances for sure, but aside from Carl Pierre, I'm of the opinion that McCall & staff did very poorly adding players for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons... as we can see with the impact Chaz Williams had, a player or two can have a huge impact on a program's level of success.

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am
but the point is the right guy doesn’t need ‘his players ‘ or 2-3 years to get things going all the time.
I totally agree with this. There was some sentiment here that DK's first 3 years 'didn't count' and, in one form or another, he was always needing to get "his players" or a "true" PG etc. i don't think McCall is any different. Win with what you got. I happen to believe McCall will turn things around. He did a nice job last season (where there truly was a pretty 'bare cupboard' to use another cliche) and (surprisingly to me at least) whiffed badly this season. We can debate the reasons this year has sucked, but it ultimately falls on him. To me, next year will let us know if he remains or goes. I think that is perfectly reasonable.