NCAA has to clean up recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
vanmeter
Hall of Fame

NCAA has to clean up recruiting

Post by vanmeter » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 pm

If any of you have follows the recent travails of Will Wade it is apparent that many of students he recruits are bought and paid for by the school and shoe contracts. The school signs a sneaker contract with addidas and the money ends up in the hands of students athletes and/orbtheir families of agents. It is a disgraceful practice and puts the 'clean' programs as a significant disadvantage.
My suggestion is to do away with the one and done. If a player feels he is best suited to play pro out of high school - let him.
While this will not end this practicie it will certainly be a start.
Coaches found in violation of this should be put out of coaching 2-3 years. They should bear the same consequences as players in addition the institutions. A second penalty should have the coach out of coaching for life.
Kelvin Sampson , a lifetime crooks who was always in hot water from
The NCAA and was suspended is back winning at Houston. If I was an NCAA investigator I would keep a close eye on that program.kansas Louisville, nc state, Arizona, Oklahoma State, auburn, southern cal all tied up into this.
The bottom line is assistant coaches and head coaches should all be held responsibility and pay the price - not just the player or school because of it was not for the coach much of this wound nit have happened. Maybe if suspensions and termination it may do something which is basically crooked at many programs. I would rather run a clean program and be 11-19 than oat players to win

McKinney
Senior

Re: NCAA has to clean up recruiting

Post by McKinney » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:17 pm

vanmeter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 pm My suggestion is to do away with the one and done. If a player feels he is best suited to play pro out of high school - let him.
While this will not end this practicie it will certainly be a start.
That sounds like something for the NBA to resolve, not the NCAA.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Acer71
Sophomore

Post by Acer71 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:03 am

Read "The Last Temptation of Rick Pitino". I knew big time college sports were shady, but......whew! Really outlines the basketball/shoe company insidious relationship.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:25 am

These shoe clowns, agent flunkies, and their college counterparts need to be doing 5 years, not 6 months, in jail.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:49 am

This has been going on since the dawn of time, the only thing different now is we have that wiretap to hear the actual conversations and social media to amplify those conversations and make sure that they are heard.

I would be happy if this all leads to some sort of Come to Jesus moment for the NCAA where student-athletes are allowed to earn some of the revenue they help generate along with other benefits (likeness rights etc.) but this is the NCAA so I am very well aware that there is a less than 1% chance that I will be happy. Significant reform is hard to come by when it is legislated by entities that make $.

As for the one-and-done rule, it does sound like it will be going away here, it's just a matter of when.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Will Wade of LSU was just suspended indefinitely. While I am sure that this has been going on for some time it has escalated with the exposure college basketball is getting and these greedy shoe companies.

Wade's recording is about as egregious as it gets.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm

UMass grad/Yahoo writer Dan Wetzel could teach a phd level course on this shit. That's one class I would love to take.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am

It looks like the shit might finally going hit the fan and a lot of big time programs are named. Led by the US Attorney in Boston.

https://twitter.com/BSnow247

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32 am

I don't think that has anything to do with basketball, but with some Olympic Sports, test exams, and the mom from Full House (seriously).