Who will not be back next year?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Who will not be back next year?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:22 am

Baptiste
2
1%
Chatman
7
4%
Clergeot
2
1%
Cobb
29
17%
Diallo
2
1%
Hayward
15
9%
Laurent
4
2%
McLean
21
12%
Pierre
1
1%
Pipkins
30
18%
Turner-Morris
24
14%
Wood
6
4%
McCall
4
2%
One or more ass't coach
22
13%
 
Total votes: 169

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6501
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:59 pm

Many of us had KTM transferring too. Wonder if he stays or goes.

Regardless, UMass will be among the youngest teams in the country next season.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7955
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by 78 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:25 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:48 pm
NilesGold wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:24 pm
78 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:24 pm
I’m starting to think McCall might be a disaster. No one wants to play for the guy.
I don’t believe it’s an indication of people not wanting to play for McCall.
I agree. I’m going to make a radical prediction and say that there is a combination of current players and recruits that adds up to 13. And, these 13 want to play for McCall and UMass.

Until the end of next year...
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

McKinney
Senior
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by McKinney » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 am

69MG wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:57 pm
Here's the Rivals top 50 point guards. Not much to choose from unless we can convince Fernandes to decommit from Wichita State. There are a few other quality prep/high school seniors available not in the top 50, but good players. Pierre-Louis and Hutchins are a couple to keep an eye on.

For your added viewing pleasure, here is Rivals list of the top 50 centers. If we get Mitchell, we'll have #17 and #43. That's freakin' awesome.

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/ ... ll/2019/PG

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/ ... all/2019/C
I have absolutely no idea what Witchita State's roster looks like. But do they really need two Top 50 freshman point guards? What's the chance that Fernandes gets lost on the bench there? Think UMass will use that angle?
Last edited by McKinney on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:32 am

69MG wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:57 pm
Here's the Rivals top 50 point guards. Not much to choose from unless we can convince Fernandes to decommit from Wichita State. There are a few other quality prep/high school seniors available not in the top 50, but good players. Pierre-Louis and Hutchins are a couple to keep an eye on.

For your added viewing pleasure, here is Rivals list of the top 50 centers. If we get Mitchell, we'll have #17 and #43. That's freakin' awesome.

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/ ... ll/2019/PG

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/ ... all/2019/C
Another to keep an eye on is Mika Adams-Woods. UMass was a finalist for him before he picked Nebraska, but with Tim Miles expected to be fired he could decommit.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:02 am

^ With just a little bit of research, one of the undecided kids in there, Bryan (BJ) Greenlee looks like he might check a lot of the boxes that UMass would be looking for.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7955
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by 78 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03 am

Here’s the deal with Fernandes though. If he asks to get out of his commitment, Wichita State can name schools to which he cannot commi. We might be one of them due to all this chatter and the likelihood UMass would be the reason he wants to decommit. I’m hoping there’s a decent juco guy we can land.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 am

^ Being released from a LOI is not the same as transferring. If you release a player from an LOI you can't dictate where he can or can't go... unless you prove tampering, which I've never seen happen.

FWIW, last year Wichita State had a commitment from a Memphis area player who played for Penny Hardaway in high school.. when Penny Hardaway got the Memphis job, Wichita State released the kid from his LOI so he could play for Memphis.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 450077002/

Winslow05
Senior
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by Winslow05 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:49 am

I have no idea the chances Fernandez ends up here...I would guess there is virtually no chance, but if he does I would be ecstatic! That kid is GOOD!

McKinney
Senior
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by McKinney » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:28 am

NilesGold wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 am
^ Being released from a LOI is not the same as transferring. If you release a player from an LOI you can't dictate where he can or can't go... unless you prove tampering, which I've never seen happen.

FWIW, last year Wichita State had a commitment from a Memphis area player who played for Penny Hardaway in high school.. when Penny Hardaway got the Memphis job, Wichita State released the kid from his LOI so he could play for Memphis.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 450077002/
78 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03 am
Here’s the deal with Fernandes though. If he asks to get out of his commitment, Wichita State can name schools to which he cannot commi. We might be one of them due to all this chatter and the likelihood UMass would be the reason he wants to decommit. I’m hoping there’s a decent juco guy we can land.
Niles, I think you're right. But for semantics: he was a commit in September, he became a signee in November.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:10 am

^ You're right, he can't simply decommit, he needs to be released from his LOI, which I suspect he could get accomplished if he wants to.

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8040
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:33 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:10 am
^ You're right, he can't simply decommit, he needs to be released from his LOI, which I suspect he could get accomplished if he wants to.
It's not what he wants, it's what WE want. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6384
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Just get that top kid, he's still available 8)
The E sho, best show in town

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8040
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by 69MG » Sat May 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Time to lock this one up. The top 6 vote getters were:
LP - 30
Cobb - 29
KTM - 24
Asst. Coach/s - 22
McLean - 21
Hayward - 15

The voters nailed 4 out of the 6 players. KTM apparently is staying. Wood got only 6 votes and Laurent got only 4 votes. In case you were interested:
#FightMassachusetts
‏@FightMA247
2h2 hours ago
More #FightMassachusetts Retweeted Kieran ⚡️Hayward
Former UMass wing Kieran Hayward headed to NAIA Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, CA

capezona
Senior
Posts: 1568
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Peoria, AZ and Dennisport, MA

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by capezona » Sat May 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Anyone heard where McLean is headed?

Juice Stand
Senior
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Eastern Ma

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by Juice Stand » Sun May 05, 2019 6:58 am

I did pretty poorly in my guesses. I seriously underestimated how many would leave, as I think may of us did. The one that really surprised me is the guy that is staying, KTM. I like him and appreciate that he's staying - he obviously likes being at UMass which is good enough for me. I'm actually very interested in what he can do in his third year here as he should be pretty bulked up by A10 standards and can probably provide valuable minutes when we're getting bullied down low by some of the bigger more physical teams.

Post Reply