Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Post Reply
User avatar
MikeUMA
Site Admin
Posts: 10210
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Norwalk, CT
Contact:

Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Wildcats up next and their biennial visit to Mullins. Saturday at 1:00. NESN+ gets the TV, ESPN+ gets the stream.

They're 8-1 in the league now, having beaten Rhody at home last night, 68-53. They got 20 from Gudmundsson. Kellan Grady, who is #2 in A-10 scoring at 17.3 ppg, had an off night with just 5 points.
https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2019/ ... sland.aspx

Grady is from Boston, and went to prep school at Northfield Mount Hermon. Outside of the game Davidson had at Rhody last year (and again later this month), Amherst is the closest destination for his Mass crew to see one of his games. I wonder if he's going to have a group of people at Mullins.

I can see him having a 20+ point afternoon.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4282
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by eldonabe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Can they stay within 30?
In Matt McCall I trust!

harbo
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2067
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:22 pm

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by harbo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:35 pm

^ I'm thinking that McCall would have enough class to call off the dogs late in the game and not run it up too badly. 8)

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7963
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by 78 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 pm

I'm sure the guys are going to respond big time to not being allowed to practice in the Champions Center... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

TheOFFSeason
Senior
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:12 pm

^
78, I get what you are saying and I will add that I am going to get there early to watch how they do react to this. If this move, however futile it may be, doesn’t get their attention then it will be safe to say he’s lost them.
I think his year 2 at UTC and his year 2 here are now more than a coincidence...very interested to know what it is

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by NilesGold » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 pm

^ The situations at UTC and UMass in his 2nd year at both aren't similar.

I'll say this, if you're a player at a D1 school like UMass (not talking about some school in a conference that never gets an at-large bid and has no real aspirations of being an NIT/NCAAT team), and you have a HC that clearly cares about winning and hasn't checked out, if you're tuning that coach out and don't care, that's 100% on you. Shame on the coach for recruiting someone like that, but beyond that, the players need to start being held accountable.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7963
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by 78 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:21 pm

^^^^
Wait, are there coaches that don't care about winning? Interesting.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

TheOFFSeason
Senior
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 am

NilesGold wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 pm
^ The situations at UTC and UMass in his 2nd year at both aren't similar.

I'll say this, if you're a player at a D1 school like UMass (not talking about some school in a conference that never gets an at-large bid and has no real aspirations of being an NIT/NCAAT team), and you have a HC that clearly cares about winning and hasn't checked out, if you're tuning that coach out and don't care, that's 100% on you. Shame on the coach for recruiting someone like that, but beyond that, the players need to start being held accountable.
Not similar? Both had some optimism for the season based on a better than expected first season...both have/had very disappointing second seasons where the players haven’t responded to the coach(MM’s admitting this here). I’m interested in knowing why the players don’t respond to him in the second year.

Juice Stand
Senior
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Eastern Ma

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 am

Personally, I'm a little surprised with how he's spoken to the media, especially lately. He's been willing to call out his players by name after they've had a bad game. He's also praised the guys that have done well, but it is unusual for me to hear a coach doing that. Maybe I'm just used to the Belichick approach of giving the media nothing. If I was one of his players, I wouldn't be too happy about him broadcasting to everybody that I'm not giving 100% effort, or that I'm a chump because I missed a layup.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14306
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am

We're having a gathering at McMurphy's after the game tomorrow with The Guitar Dudes performing from 5-7. Come join us if you're sticking around town!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Senior
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Eastern Ma

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 am

The Dudes! Nice!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by NilesGold » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 am
NilesGold wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 pm
^ The situations at UTC and UMass in his 2nd year at both aren't similar.

I'll say this, if you're a player at a D1 school like UMass (not talking about some school in a conference that never gets an at-large bid and has no real aspirations of being an NIT/NCAAT team), and you have a HC that clearly cares about winning and hasn't checked out, if you're tuning that coach out and don't care, that's 100% on you. Shame on the coach for recruiting someone like that, but beyond that, the players need to start being held accountable.
Not similar? Both had some optimism for the season based on a better than expected first season...both have/had very disappointing second seasons where the players haven’t responded to the coach(MM’s admitting this here). I’m interested in knowing why the players don’t respond to him in the second year.
At UTC he had a roster almost full of players he didn't recruit for both seasons he was there. At UMass, in year 2 he's got a roster almost entirely of players he's recruited.

At UTC, McCall inherited a program that's been pretty consistently good for the last 30-40 years, albeit good at the MM one-bid conference level. At UMass, McCall inherited a program that's been wildly up and down, but mostly down, for the last 20 years.

At UTC, in his first year McCall led the team to a 29-6 record and an NCAAT appearance. At UMass, in his first year McCall led a severely depleted team to a 13th place A10 finish.

The situations have a few similarities, but they also have vast differences.

My belief is that McCall is a demanding coach, and when things aren't going well for the team it becomes more likely that McCall's style will grate on the players and they'll become more likely to tune him out and throw in the towel on the team. Now, I don't think McCall should become less demanding, I think he needs to find players who when challenged won't quit.

TheOFFSeason
Senior
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm

^
You are going to far off the rail here, what we know is that he had first years at both places that were promising and 2nd years that were very disappointing with players not responding to him...especially late in the season. Doesn’t matter if there his recruits or not, doesn’t matter if UTC has had a good history throughout...what we are comparing is both teams not responding in year 2 for some reason.

Also, what is it that makes you think he is a demanding coach? I’m not arguing with you either way, just interested in if this is from your thoughts or do you have actual information??

User avatar
MikeUMA
Site Admin
Posts: 10210
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Norwalk, CT
Contact:

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 pm

So Davidson...

They were picked to finished 3rd in the pre-season poll, but they lead the A10 at 8-1, a game ahead of VCU, and 1.5 ahead of Dayton and Mason. They've beaten the league's best: home vs VCU and Duq, on the road at Mason and SLU.

Their one loss was just by 1 point, at Saint Joe a few weeks back. Davidson had numerous chances to win, but they missed 4 shots and a free throw in the final minute.
  • Grady leads the team with 17.3 ppg
  • Gudmunsson adds 16.5 ppg, good for #6 in the league. He also leads the team in rebounds (7.0) and assists, where his 4.3 per game is #7 in the league
  • Luke "Don't call me Peter" Frampton adds 11.0 ppg
  • Luka Brajkovic adds 10.9 / 6.1
At 6'10" 220, Brajkovic is the only big in that list. The first three are all 6'5". If we can get the ball to Holloway like we did at Saint Joe, that could be a big plus.

Thankfully we don't have to face Peyton Aldridge anymore. Last year at Belk, he went off for 38 & 14. Grady and Mr Iceland added 12 and 7 respectively. We got 31 from Pip and 15 from Pierre.
https://umassathletics.com/news/2018/2/ ... 83-78.aspx

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Game 24, 2018-19: Davidson (2/9)

Post by NilesGold » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:20 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm
^
You are going to far off the rail here, what we know is that he had first years at both places that were promising and 2nd years that were very disappointing with players not responding to him...especially late in the season. Doesn’t matter if there his recruits or not, doesn’t matter if UTC has had a good history throughout...what we are comparing is both teams not responding in year 2 for some reason.

Also, what is it that makes you think he is a demanding coach? I’m not arguing with you either way, just interested in if this is from your thoughts or do you have actual information??
I believe situation and context matters. Yes, the symptoms in both year 2s appear to be similar (McCall losing the team), but you've only got 2 data points, I'm concerned, but I don't think you can automatically conclude that the root cause of the problem in both situations was the same. I'd love to know the real story about what happened at UTC and what's happening at UMass, but facts are in short supply.

When I say demanding, I'm speaking through the lens of someone who watched Derek Kellogg coach UMass for about a decade and has heard rumors about what the program was like behind the scenes. For McCall, I've heard bits and pieces about what the program is like behind the scenes, and a lot more from the mouth of McCall himself during press conferences/interviews, etc.

Post Reply