Game 16 @ Dayton 1/13/19

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 16 @ Dayton 1/13/19

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Sarcastic reference to those who think they should get to share in the wealth generated by their performances.
edit: That is, the players should get a slice of the pie. Some players have referred to their current status as slavery.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:39 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:35 pm Sarcastic reference to those who think they should get to share in the wealth generated by their performances.
edit: That is, the players should get a slice of the pie. Some players have referred to their current status as slavery.
Thank you Len - Spot on.

What is "Horrific" is that too many SJW's in the greater Amherst/Northampton Area actually think that way.....

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm

I agree that players should get a piece of the pie but players are not going around comparing it to slavery. Maybe, one athlete has said it in the past (I have no idea), does that mean that players now compare their NCAA scholarship to slavery?

We got two white dudes here acting like it's no problem just tossing around the word slavery and comparing inconvenient things in life to it... And if we disagree with them, then we are just annoying little punks who are too politically correct? Get the fuck outta here you losers.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Wait! Am I one of those losers? I object!!!
In any case, yes, there's been a few athletes who referred to their situation as slavery, but, yes, a tiny percentage of players. I think the situation is complicated by the fact that the NBA won't allow players to enter the draft without a year of college. That reduces opportunities with no justification except to make the NCAA happy. Without a lot of reflection, I agree with the O'Bannon brothers that the universities should not use their likenesses without permission. And if they want monetary compensation for the use of their pictures, then so be it.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 pm

eldonabe - Next time you have a conversation with one of our basketball players, or any athlete, ask them, "How does it feel to be a slave?" I'm sure that they will all laugh and giggle with you since they feel that way right?

You wouldn't dare.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:53 pm

I don't think Eldon is supportive of the idea that these guys are being treated like slaves. Man, I would have given my eye teeth to play varsity basketball, with or without a scholarship. (What do you need eye teeth for, anyway?)

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Are you his spokesperson? Let him talk for himself, yeah?

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:16 pm

inthescoop wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm I agree that players should get a piece of the pie but players are not going around comparing it to slavery. Maybe, one athlete has said it in the past (I have no idea), does that mean that players now compare their NCAA scholarship to slavery?
Well, our own @LukeyBonner has had a few words to say that lean that way:

NCAA Athletes Deserve More From March Madness Than Sore ...
https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/marc ... t-athletes

Mar 22, 2018 - It's about power,” Luke Bonner, cofounder of the College Athletes ... the NCAA cited the 13th Amendment, which formally ended slavery but ...

“Ultimately, amateurism isn’t about money. It’s about power,” Luke Bonner, cofounder of the College Athletes Players Association and former Division I basketball player, wrote for VICE. “Amateurism does nothing to serve athletes or improve our college experiences. Instead, it’s a cruel joke, a doublespeak concept that only serves to excuse and amplify inequities between the haves and have-nots, the athletes and the administrators they serve, perpetuating a system of suppression and exploitation.”
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:31 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:47 pm Wait! Am I one of those losers? I object!!!
In any case, yes, there's been a few athletes who referred to their situation as slavery, but, yes, a tiny percentage of players. I think the situation is complicated by the fact that the NBA won't allow players to enter the draft without a year of college. That reduces opportunities with no justification except to make the NCAA happy. Without a lot of reflection, I agree with the O'Bannon brothers that the universities should not use their likenesses without permission. And if they want monetary compensation for the use of their pictures, then so be it.
The NBA’s one and done deal is not to make the NCAA happy...it is for their benefit. NBA would NEVER do anything that didn’t benefit them

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Really? How does it benefit the NBA?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 pm Really? How does it benefit the NBA?
They don’t have to scout HS kids...they don’t have to draft kids that aren’t close to ready and put them on the team just to make sure they didn’t miss anyone. It has been spelled out many times that the NBA wanted the rule and if they could get it they would rather 2 years out of HS. They want players more developed when the get them. All the coaches/front office hated having athletic kids who could shoot, dribble or pass that they had to babysit. They don’t mind waiting a year for Kobe or Lebron if that means they don’t get 10 Darius Miles or Gerald Green’s in return.
College will always be fine because they will just make stars/interest out of who is there, plus it is more about the teams than the players.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 pm

inthescoop wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm Are you his spokesperson? Let him talk for himself, yeah?
A little sensitive there scoop? Lighten up Francis...

I think these players are completely taken advantage of in the name of "amateur" athletics. They generate BILLIONS of dollars for these schools and get a fraction of a percentage of it in return. Sure 10 or 20 of them annually get a fat paycheck from the association, but the rest end up like the rest of us having to work until their 60's.

It could be worse I suppose but it could be a lot better considering what they generate in income for those few year.

The fact is that there are a lot - too many - people who really do think these players are oppressed and treated like slaves. And we live in a hotbed where these people protest everything and are just a little to sensitive when they don't like what they hear ..... sounds like you live on Main Street in Northampton there Scoop.....

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am

I don't want to hijack this thread but I lived in the Northampton/Amherst area for a very long time. I believe it's one of greatest places in the United States to live and raise a family. It's why I stayed in the area. It's the US of A and our choices are many. If I thought differently I would have moved.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:11 am

^ Thank you!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 am

Swampy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am I don't want to hijack this thread but I lived in the Northampton/Amherst area for a very long time. I believe it's one of greatest places in the United States to live and raise a family. It's why I stayed in the area. It's the US of A and our choices are many. If I thought differently I would have moved.

I love this area too - born and raised here. It is a very small but very, very, loud group of people that give Hamp/Amherst the reputation that it has. I think that reputation and this small group of SJW's who hold this area back far too often.