State of the program

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
capezona
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the program

Post by capezona » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:28 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:42 pm
vanmeter wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:41 pm When the discussion of 'cleaning house' is mentioned, there are probably many who cannot wait to move out. 3 players on the team were not his recruits. Holloway is done after this year and Pipkins is more than likely gone. Thus, if Unique McLean, stays he will be the only remaining guy that McCall inherited. Thus the idea of cleaning house is essentially people leaving or asked to leave for people he recruited.
Based on last year's numbers, the average program has 2.5 players transfer out each year. During this upcoming off-season we'll be going into year 3 of McCall, so I think it's completely normal for some of the people he recruited to leave or be asked to leave.
Which player is the .5 one?

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:31 pm

vanmeter wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 pm Len

I think it is bad to call out your players. You think it's ok - that's your opinion.
He is careful not to call out individual players IMO. He praises individuals for success and calls out the entire group for failures, including himself. The negative comments are piling on lately, but so is the crappy play. Would love the negativity to go away, but that can not be remedied until they play hard consistently.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Yeah I don't know that I've heard MM call out any specific player and really rip him in public. Most of his comments are more focused on what guys need to work on
Time to Win

Almontis
Junior

Post by Almontis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:05 pm

vanmeter wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 pm Len

I think it is bad to call out your players. You think it's ok - that's your opinion.
EVERY coach talks about what his team needs to do better. Unless he's referencing a specific play or situation, he doesn't name players. this is nonsense.

I'm 50/50 on McCall at this point. He seems reasonably well organized and purposeful in his approach. No clue with what's going on with recruiting or why his message hasn't seemed to translate. If nothing else, the progression through next Fall will be interesting to follow.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:40 am

LS71 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:43 pm DK recruits better than he coaches.

Yes, we know that. Your point? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make related to what was said earlier.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:15 am

^ Just a response to your assertion that Chaz "didn't just coincidentally decide to come to UMass. He was recruited here once he decided to transfer. Could have gone anywhere else and we might not have any NIT or NCAA appearances over the last 11 years."
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:17 am

So you didn't have a point. Thanks!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:17 am So you didn't have a point. Thanks!
The point of my initial response to Swampy post where he said that he'd "KILL for two NITs and an NCAA bid right about now" was to serve as a
reminder that those post-season appearances didn't start until year 4 of DK's time here. The I went off on a tangent.

We're just finishing year 2 of MM's time at UMass. There's still a real possibility of a post season appearance in MM's year 4 here.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am

Too many quotables to note in the last few posts so I will try to summarize....

- The term "Cleaning House" had nothing to do with remaining DK players. It has to do with any player who doesn't want to be here, should not be here, or should not have been brought in during the transfer binge when MM got here

- I guess there is a parallel here with DK. Maybe I have rear view mirror bias but I just like McCall's disposition about it better. Even though I was willing to give DK 2 more years, I never shook the feeling that he was in way over his head. I still don't get that impression with MM

- I would also compare MM adjustment statement with Ford. Travis REALLY changed his game plan based on his roster. I still say he was the best coach we had since Cal left - and that is the reason why.

- The coach calling out a player is a very gray matter thing to me. Every coach has their own approach with this and it works for some and not others, it affects every kid differently from positive to negative. Cal would call out kids from time to time but he was selective about it. Lappas did it too and that went horribly wrong. He was by far the worst coach we had since Cal and it is not even close. As much as I think DK sucked here, Scuba Steve easily lapped him (no pun intended) 3 or 4 times.

- Chaz was a great recruit and Umass' success during those 3 years had little to do with the the guy holding the chalk board and everything to do with Chaz being a once in a generation player. DK brought the kid here and he gets credit for that, and that alone.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 am

LS71 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am The point of my initial response to Swampy post where he said that he'd "KILL for two NITs and an NCAA bid right about now" was to serve as a
reminder that those post-season appearances didn't start until year 4 of DK's time here. The I went off on a tangent.

We're just finishing year 2 of MM's time at UMass. There's still a real possibility of a post season appearance in MM's year 4 here.

So we are agreeing then, since I said the same thing. Difference is that I didn't take issue with Swampy's post... I'd kill for that as well and I'm happy that we got it even though DK didn't work out overall. And I don't care if it was his coaching (it wasn't) or his recruiting (it was) that got us there.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 am
LS71 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am The point of my initial response to Swampy post where he said that he'd "KILL for two NITs and an NCAA bid right about now" was to serve as a

So we are agreeing then, since I said the same thing. Difference is that I didn't take issue with Swampy's post... I'd kill for that as well and I'm happy that we got it even though DK didn't work out overall. And I don't care if it was his coaching (it wasn't) or his recruiting (it was) that got us there.
I wasn't taking issue with Swampy's post. With all the talk about MM and how this season has gone, I just wanted people to remember the timeline for the post-season appearances relative to the previous coach's tenure here.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 am

Right, which had already been done. Glad we got that clear and I appreciate the clarity.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

I will not get into another discussion about Kellogg and his coaching acumen because he's been gone for two years and this program has bigger fish to fry than arguing about his pluses and minuses. But, I can't let a statement go unanswered that I believe to be totally off base. I understand why people wanted him gone and I understand the reasons why. However, I am always surprised that there are Mass fans that won't give Kellogg even a little credit for ANY of the success the team had. The notion that Chaz ran everything while he was at Umass is simply not true. The offense was designed around the best player just like all other programs. Chaz didn't draw up the offensive and defensive schemes for three years. He simply didn't and drawing up those scheme is called coaching.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Even if they're drawn in crayon?

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes.