State of the program

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the program

Post by Old Cage » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 am

It looks like the Davidson win didn't get them out of purgatory. Back in the Cage this morning per twitter
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 am

LS71 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:24 pm ^^ I know it’s just one win, but under the circumstances, it was an important one to get.
I am going to nit-pick on this one LS. Important is a relative term here. Important because now we are next to last place now - No?

It will only be "important" IF some of the disciplinary actions and rotation changes truly adjusted the attitudes and focus/effort on the floor. If they come out flat and looking NOT like Saturday at Mason, then you are on to something, otherwise this is one of the three outliers in the season (Providence, URI, and Davidson).

I hope you are right. IMO they can win 3 of the next 4 if this "new team" is for real. Time will tell.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am

Maybe I had become too used to the way things were with Kellogg, because I had been under the impression that McCall was demanding and didn't coddle guys... but obviously his comments would indicate otherwise... I suppose it's all relative.
Last edited by NilesGold on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 am

Moved to the 2019 recruiting thread.
Last edited by NilesGold on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

69MG wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 am
UMassHoops wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm I'm still just enjoying we got a win against Davidson. :)

Still a lot of work to do but I liked the energy and execution on the court Sunday. Hopefully MM has found his guys for the stretch run, and maybe a few more will come along for the ride. Will worry about state of the program once the season ends.
That's an interesting take and something I hadn't thought of. The best thing that could happen is that the "non-believers" see the joy and satisfaction of the "believers" after the win and it becomes contagious. That's a lot to hope for and I guess we'll find out in the next week or two.
Nice catch 69MG, that's exactly what I was getting at. I remember a work situation where there was a group of malcontents, never happy with anything that was going on. New boss came in, basically said I don't want to hear complaints, unless there is a solution attached to it, everything else is just noise. In a short period of time, a couple malcontents ended up leaving the team, but surprisingly the others became great positive team players and the whole culture of the group changed from constant victim/whining into a darn good team. I think MM has to take that approach, you ride with whoever is giving it your all and on board, I don't care if they are the most talented, but you welcome and reward anyone that wants to cross over.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am

Old Cage wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 am It looks like the Davidson win didn't get them out of purgatory. Back in the Cage this morning per twitter
Interesting, although as a somewhat superstitious guy I'm not sure this wasn't welcomed by the players. After so much losing, you practice in the Cage and get a big win. I'm not breaking that pattern, it's like wearing the same sweater for good luck, or Wade Boggs eating chicken.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am

DrG wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:53 pm My take: After a first season in which he had virtually no bench, McCall was desperate for players and went the transfer route to stock his roster in addition to his recruits. That resulted in a team that was really mismatched and lacking in chemistry, and that's on the coach. I think he now realizes he has to start by building around Diallo, Chatman and Wood along with an energy guy like Unique and hopefully the more confident Carl Pierre that we saw Saturday. There's no question Coach McCall is holding himself accountable which is really refreshing. Despite the Davidson win, this season is pretty much shot, but the A10 is not very good right now so he has an opportunity to get competitive in a hurry if he brings in his type of players. Obviously the results will tell, but I believe our young coach is learning and has earned our support.
To piggyback on this. Last year we saw a team that had a bunch of guys who were short on talent, but loaded with effort, grit and character who didn't take anything for granted. Rayshawn Miller wasn't on scholarship, CJ Anderson was the ultimate glue player and a high character guy, Unique McLean averaged 26 minutes a game and Malik Hines who by all accounts is a great kid got a ton of run when Holloway was suspended. Nothing was given to these players.

The transfers were here last year, probably assumed they were going to get a ton of run this year when more guys left and considering last year's record, and maybe took a lot for granted having already come from D-1 programs. Maybe the same could be said for Chatman since he was suspended for a game, not sure how deep that goes aside from the 1 game, if it was a pattern or not. Wood has been hurt, but he's been a breath of fresh air when he plays. I don't think Holloway is in any sort of doghouse. As someone pointed out, MM has praised him on multiple occasions. I just don't think he's a McCall type player and he'll be used when it's beneficial to the team.

McCall took what kind of talent he could to bridge the gap from Kellogg's guys to his guys. I don't think it's fair to judge McCall on the transfers. He just needed bodies. If the guys that he brings in as Frosh end up developing a disconnect with him, than that's 100% on him as a coach and recruiter.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:36 am

UMassHoops wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am
Old Cage wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 am It looks like the Davidson win didn't get them out of purgatory. Back in the Cage this morning per twitter
Interesting, although as a somewhat superstitious guy I'm not sure this wasn't welcomed by the players. After so much losing, you practice in the Cage and get a big win. I'm not breaking that pattern, it's like wearing the same sweater for good luck, or Wade Boggs eating chicken.
He said in the post-game presser that they would continue to practice in the Cage. I really like that choice because it's a constant reminder to the players of what was wrong and what has to be fixed.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:47 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 am
LS71 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:24 pm ^^ I know it’s just one win, but under the circumstances, it was an important one to get.
I am going to nit-pick on this one LS. Important is a relative term here. Important because now we are next to last place now - No?

It will only be "important" IF some of the disciplinary actions and rotation changes truly adjusted the attitudes and focus/effort on the floor. If they come out flat and looking NOT like Saturday at Mason, then you are on to something, otherwise this is one of the three outliers in the season (Providence, URI, and Davidson).

I hope you are right. IMO they can win 3 of the next 4 if this "new team" is for real. Time will tell.
You're not nit-picking at all. To me, the W was 'important' in light of the measures MM took...where they practiced and his remarks that they need to earn their way back into the Champions Center. I'm thinking the win on the heels of all of that got their attention. Can you imagine if they had gotten blown out Saturday instead? They're a good chance they'd go 0-7 the rest of the way. I can't even imagine where MM's head would be.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they play at Mason Wednesday night. If they play well and end the Mason jinx, the new attitude can help them win four of their remaining six regular season games.

We'll see...
Last edited by LS71 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:50 am

uz2b-len wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:36 am
UMassHoops wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am
He said in the post-game presser that they would continue to practice in the Cage. I really like that choice because it's a constant reminder to the players of what was wrong and what has to be fixed.
That and it's a link to UMass' basketball history that can serve as a reminder that they're playing for the name on the front of the jersey.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Yes! "You don't like this dingy locker room? It was good enough for Dr. J.!!!"

skizz
Sophomore

Post by skizz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Floyd wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm
skizz wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:31 pm
Floyd wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:17 pm Everyone was always complaining that the rotation was too big so now if MM only plays the guys who give him what he wants, that means he's not being soft or coddling guys anymore right? So guys have their minutes cut, they gonna be happy? Probably not, but what else can MM do? If he doesn't change what he was doing, how can you expect the players to? He's here to produce results, not necessarily be their friend. If he's doing his job, they get better, play better, and the results are better. Win for everybody
I agree with all of this but everything always points to the players as the issue. If he's admitting he's not been as diligent as he should have been, accept that make sure that message gets to the players and move forward with that intention of this is the way its going to be from now on. If he has to give the same type of speech he gave after the Fordham game then he hasn't been successful.
I agree. Sounds like something he should have done very early on with the new guys coming in and the returning guys. And I think your point, if I'm understanding correctly, is that it's not all on the players if he didn't set the expectations early on. Hopefully everyone is learning something out of this
Exactly, I'm not putting all the blame on the players or MCall but McCall has to set the tone from day one and it must be consistent. It's only year two and admitting you've slacked off especially with the way they've been playing doesn't help.
FITCTAJ

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm Yes! "You don't like this dingy locker room? It was good enough for Dr. J.!!!"
Shades of Red Auerbach's approach to "amenities" like heat and hot water at the old Garden. ;-)

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 pm

The locker room they are using in the Cage now is an absolute palace compared to what Julius Erving used back in the 70’s. The locker rooms now in the Cage are an addition they added on in the 80’s after Calipari got here. The locker room that Julius and others used were on the dimly lite second floor of the Curry Hicks building itself. It was wood paneled and each player had a green double wide metal locker. There was a shower stall and a small room used as a training room with 2 trainers tables and 2 small whirlpools. The main entrance to the old Cage was thru the center lobby of that very old building. You’d walk up steep steps into the 20’ x 20’ lobby and there was a ticket table at the top of the stairs and that was the entrance for ticket holders. Then the there was another set of very steep stairs that led to the balcony. Now the students got in thru barn doors where the lobby and addition now stand. There was also a dirt floor, old globe lights and a dark wood roof with glass in the center.

The best part was the visitors locker room was on the other side of the lobby and was small and next to a classroom. Opposing teams and coaches hated it. They would have post game interviews in the hallway or the classrooms. Was embarrassing and the real reason why teams like Syracuse, BC, Providence and UConn didn’t want to play there.

We didn’t know any better we were young and we just wanted to play basketball. Never once did I hear Julius complain - he was great about it. We also were only allowed 2 pairs of sneakers a year and our practice gear was old grey shirts and shorts that were general issue to students by the athletic department. Absolutely no frills. The old cage also had it’s pack of squirrels and usually a couple of birds. The heating system was awful and at times you could see your breath the place was so cold. The team benches were these old red benches that someone had made years ago and then they brought in old grey folding chairs. They broadcast the games from the corner tables in the balcony. The place had no ventilation and on really big games the condensation would form on the glass roof panels and students with towels would come out at timeouts to dry the floor. We’re lucky Julius never hurt those valuable knees. Despite all it’s drawbacks it was home to a lot of UMass players and it was great when it was packed and we felt unbeatable there.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm

OK, then.
"You don't like this dingy locker room? You should see what Dr J had to deal with!"