State of the program

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMassHoops
Senior

Re: State of the program

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:47 am

TheInsider wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:04 am
I used to think there was no reason for Pip to leave. Then a couple months ago I heard about his attitude and demeanor around practice and the program. He didnt wanna be there and made it obvious. Dont worry... hes gone.
If this is true it would be more of an indictment on MM's leadership and decision making than anything. If a player has a bad attitude and demeanor around practice, why would he start every game (until injured) and play max minutes?

Maybe that was an isolated incident, I've heard MM say nothing but great things about Pip, just hard to believe he'd be supporting and playing a malcontent. Why would he self-sabotage his team and season?

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:51 am

FIRE PIPKINS! :roll:

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 am

All rumors and speculation. To my eyes, Pipkins looks like he is committed to working his ass off and being a great teammate. Yes, he's had a very difficult time finding his game recently, but that doesn't mean he's checked out, just that basketball is hard.

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 am

And he's dealing with an injury.

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 am

We look at these kids through such a microscope. We (including me) need to just let them play and enjoy they're time in college and not get crazy about what's removed from someone's twitter account, or a player's demeanor during a game, or rumors floating around, or whatever. I know I enjoy it a lot more when they play well and win games, but life is about so much more. Anyway, I'm getting too esoteric. Go UMass!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Never was told he didnt play hard or was trying to "sabatoge" anything. Just that his mind wasn't totally committed and didnt really want to be at umass anymore. As for MM.. kinda hard not to play him... remember MM had to talk Pip into coming back. Maybe he made a deal with him.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:51 pm

They"ve checked out
The E sho, best show in town

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:25 pm

State of the program: Humbled

UMass1927
Sophomore

Post by UMass1927 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:32 pm

Is there anything to look forward to with UMass Basketball right now? What should I be clinging to for 2019-20?

The facilities are nice. The school is good and beginning to be recognized as such.

Neither of those things make the basketball team watchable though.
Make UMass Basketball Great Again

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 pm

It looks like it will be a long road to success. Not sure if we will every reach it. Future looks bleak.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 am

UMass1927 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:32 pm
Is there anything to look forward to with UMass Basketball right now? What should I be clinging to for 2019-20?

The facilities are nice. The school is good and beginning to be recognized as such.

Neither of those things make the basketball team watchable though.

You can always just be a fan of the program, win or lose.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:33 am

^ 1500 looked like a much bigger crowd in the Cage back in the 80s than it does in the Mullins. :(

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 am

Here's my thought process for our current state, regardless of what happens the rest of this year:

McCall made a reference about building a mansion when he was first hired and that he was starting with the foundation. Clearly we will be ripping up that foundation as it is crumbling. New pieces (players) to the foundation will be brought in. Stronger material (culture) will be needed to help those pieces maintain their strength. Some new sub-contractors (staff) will probably be hired by the builder (McCall) to help with the build. Certainly not ideal to be working on the foundation in year 3, but I think by this time next year, we will clearly see how much the problems with the foundation itself lay with the builder himself.

There wasn't much pressure on McCall when he first came onboard given the situation. It was a really hard situation that forced a lot of scrambling. And in that scrambling, he made some bad choices and that has set us back. Those choices though were his. He's also still a young head coach and he's had to learn to tough lessons while losing, something he hasn't had a ton of experience in (even in his down second year at UTC they won 19 games -- not saying it was a good season, it seemed to end badly, but they still won 19.)

Now that it's clear there is going to be another reset, there will be a lot of pressure on him. He needs to find players that will take his message to heart and/or figure out how to better get his message across.

Hope he gets it right.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:59 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 am
Here's my thought process for our current state, regardless of what happens the rest of this year:

McCall made a reference about building a mansion when he was first hired and that he was starting with the foundation. Clearly we will be ripping up that foundation as it is crumbling. New pieces (players) to the foundation will be brought in. Stronger material (culture) will be needed to help those pieces maintain their strength. Some new sub-contractors (staff) will probably be hired by the builder (McCall) to help with the build. Certainly not ideal to be working on the foundation in year 3, but I think by this time next year, we will clearly see how much the problems with the foundation itself lay with the builder himself.
Well, the building permit is going to expire if progress isn't made and sometimes they don't get renewed
The E sho, best show in town

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:13 pm

Yeah that would be the pressure on McCall.

To give another analogy: I'm sure some folks have shitty honeymoons and go onto have happy marriages while for others, the shittiness just extends to the marriage and ends in divorce.

The honeymoon period is clearly over here. Time to see what happens with the marriage.

Okay, I'm done with these analogies.
"I wrote a column and it went national"