State of the program

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DTM80
Junior

Re: State of the program

Post by DTM80 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

First of all congrats to the team and coaches for the win today. Absolutely loved the article and what MM had to say. I hope he finally got through to the team. I hope he continues to play the kids who want to put the effort in and represent UMass. The players who don’t want to put the effort in can get the f out, pretty simple. Sounds like the coach may have had a breakthrough himself?
I hope he continues to work their asses off and at a very minimum this team must compete each and every game. I am sure most posters here will accept a few losses due to talent level or circumstance but we should never be outworked especially at home.
I have a lot more respect for the coach after reading that article.

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 am

If I’m coach I think it’s time to shorten the rotation and give the real meaningful minutes to 8-9 players so that they can gel down the stretch. From what I’ve been able to tell, on a consistent basis, these are the guys who are bought in, generally play their tails off, and, for the most part, play smart:

Tre
Keon
Pip
Carl
Samba
Unique
Djery
Sy
Rashaan

Curtis, Hayward, and JL all have talent, but it’s become pretty clear that talent by itself and not accompanied by consistent effort or discipline is poison for this team.

I would include KTM in the regular rotation - love his personality and hustle - but I just think at a certain point you have to go with a smaller group of guys and the other two just bring more to the table at Center than he does at this point in his career. Great to have ready in case of injury or foul trouble though, which there is plenty of with big 45.

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:17 am

Floyd wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 pm
Today proves that you do the things you need to do, you can beat teams with more talent. Honestly can't say there were more than 1 or 2 times I thought they took a bad shot or the ball was "stuck". They moved well, shared the ball, looked for the open shot, didn't force much, and followed up shots. Davidson was much bigger, but we outrebounded them i believe, and several were offensive boards. Guys dove after loose balls, communicated on the floor, and played help D. Going to win games playing like that so I hope it starts a little run here to finish out the year

I'll be honest, I was starting to wonder if MM could relate to these kids enough to get them to play how he wanted, and today proved he can and he won't give up. It may just be that he needs kids that have the same or close to the intensity he does. He was fired up after this game, and I freakin love it. His passion is real, not some bullshit language
Hindsight is 20/20 but I think McCall made a mistake by taking the amount of transfers he did it. In a way it was a bit of a short cut. It has not worked out great as they seem to struggle to match his intensity and effort level. However the guys he has recruited seem more willing to match that. Samba has been great and has all conference potential IMO. Tre will be a solid guard in this league and plays hard on d (concussion came diving for a lose ball) Chatman is progressing a bit slower but seems to be understanding the effort it takes. Then you see a guy like buggs on twitter back McCall every step of the way and reports that santos is a hard worker who does the little things. Coach is getting guys who will be able to match his intensity

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:23 am

Hey Offseason, any other kids on Woodstock and Macduffie that are potential targets that got some run the other night? If so, any thoughts on them?
"I wrote a column and it went national"

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:44 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:23 am
Hey Offseason, any other kids on Woodstock and Macduffie that are potential targets that got some run the other night? If so, any thoughts on them?
We have had Matt Cross to at least 1 game, he is a 6’7 junior but the rumor was he could reclassify and come out this year. He would help as a 4 who can play low post, high post or the corner. He plays hard...rebounds. Tyrone Weeks’ son has been playing well since his return from injury but he is more suited for MAAC or American East in my opinion if he is going to make an impact on winning.
I was very surprised that I did not see anyone from the UMass staff at this game...it’s possible someone was down the other end but I don’t think so.

Old-School
Sophomore

Post by Old-School » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 am

The Woodstock team is loaded with talent. Not sure where the Mitchell kid is going but he's really good. Tough and has a good looking stroke from the FT line. I could have sworn I saw Edgar Padilla there which was cool for us old timers.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks. Sorry I just realized I posted in wrong thread...
"I wrote a column and it went national"

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

Old-School wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 am
The Woodstock team is loaded with talent. Not sure where the Mitchell kid is going but he's really good. Tough and has a good looking stroke from the FT line. I could have sworn I saw Edgar Padilla there which was cool for us old timers.
Edgar’s son is on MacDuffie and him and his wife were there visiting him and then swung up to UMass yesterday.

Old-School
Sophomore

Post by Old-School » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Edgar looks like he can still play.

skizz
Sophomore

Post by skizz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm

It's one win, it doesn't mean anything if they lose the next 5. Blaming kids so called lack effort and execution is a direct correlation to how they are being coached. Not giving effort, not executing why is that? It's game 23 did the so called lack of effort and execution just start? I don't think so, if it's been a issue what has been done about it? Until yesterday it seems nothing. McCall is trending in the wrong direction and hopefully he can change that.
Save for the freshman this is year 2 for everyone else in the program, transfers are happy until playimg time is doled out and then you see how they react. The returning players know where they stand playing wise but when their time is reduced you expect them to be happy? That's a balancing act that the coach needs to work out.
FITCTAJ

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:20 pm

^ well, that's kind of a buzz kill.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:24 pm

^^ I know it’s just one win, but under the circumstances, it was an important one to get.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm

^^^McCall said he had been to9 easy on some and let things slide. He has been harping on the issue all year. Got to breaking point with st. Joes.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm
^^^McCall said he had been to9 easy on some and let things slide. He has been harping on the issue all year. Got to breaking point with st. Joes.
That was the impression I was getting...not too demanding, too soft and coddling to guys...especially where minutes were concerned. Except in rare cases, the majority of minutes have to go to your top 7

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm

skizz wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm
It's one win, it doesn't mean anything if they lose the next 5. Blaming kids so called lack effort and execution is a direct correlation to how they are being coached. Not giving effort, not executing why is that? It's game 23 did the so called lack of effort and execution just start? I don't think so, if it's been a issue what has been done about it? Until yesterday it seems nothing. McCall is trending in the wrong direction and hopefully he can change that.
Save for the freshman this is year 2 for everyone else in the program, transfers are happy until playimg time is doled out and then you see how they react. The returning players know where they stand playing wise but when their time is reduced you expect them to be happy? That's a balancing act that the coach needs to work out.
I agree with Skizz in the sense that we've had some very impressive victories this season and followed them up with lame performances. If that happens again, then this nice Davidson win is not worth much. That said, I'm pleased that after the Fordham debacle the coach went to another level to get his message across.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams