State of the program

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the program

Post by Floyd » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:43 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:19 pm
^ I'm not convinced it's the right move either... I think McCall is trying anything he can think of because nothing has worked thus far.
And I believe, therein lies the problem. I think they've lost faith in following "the process" because after trying and not having the success, they're doubting it and may have lost faith in MM and what he's preaching. At some point, there's got to be some sort of reward if you will, to keep them engaged and focused, and all the losses lets the doubt settle in. Thats where the mental toughness comes in that MM speaks about, to keep working thru the losses. But the grind can't be for nothing, so if you're going to hold the players accountable to keep at it, MM has to be held accountable that the process is also going to produce that reward. Does the process teach these guys enough to be successful and are the little things that OFFSeason speaks of being taught and drilled into their daily prep? Can't expect people to do things that they haven't been properly taught to do, because they don't know how. And if they have been properly taught these little details, and don't want to keep working at it, then that's on the players.

Margin of error between the two can be very small to affect outcome, but it sounds like theres a bit on both sides that can be done
The E sho, best show in town

Merlin Samuels
Sophomore

Post by Merlin Samuels » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 pm

I admit, I thought Kellogg being fired was an attempt by Bamford to make his mark on the program and create his imprint by hiring the next coach. I disagreed with Kellogg being fired mainly because the team he was bringing back was loaded and I foresaw the A10 crown.

Now, that is neither here nor there. McCall was not the first choice. I don’t think he proved much before he came here. Not that I am against an unproven coach, but an unproven coach with head coaching experience is what bothered me about his hire. I have seen flashes of a promising coach, but I believe I can find that in any coach.

Bottom line, we shouldn’t be getting blown out by Duquesne or Fordham. Get me a coach that doesn’t get blown out. I’ll take some Bennett acolyte whose team averages 50 a game, but wins!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 am

Merlin Samuels wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 pm
I disagreed with Kellogg being fired mainly because the team he was bringing back was loaded and I foresaw the A10 crown.

Bottom line, we shouldn’t be getting blown out by Duquesne or Fordham.
Did you watch Kellogg’s last season here, you know, the one where they were apparently “loaded” but still finished at the bottom of the A10, and lost to Duquesne by about 30?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 pm
I hear ya McKinney but Nevada is built on transfers. It works for them no doubt just not sure it’s a blueprint to be followed nor do I know how sustainable it is over the long run.

Gonzaga has been Gonzaga for a long time. Not sure how crazy it is they are in the top 5 - I bet Tennessee and Virginia have comparable rosters in terms what players were rated prior to college (probably a little better but not much) I think what’s more important than how many stars a kids is recognizing talent and then how that talent fits what you want to do. There are plenty of lower ranked kids that are better than higher ranked kids. Just like there are plenty of less talented kids who just might fit your program better. The best programs outside of the blue bloods recognize these things extremely well I think.

I also would bet Gonzaga and (maybe) Nevada have bigger budgets than we do. Probably considerably more in the case of Gonzaga.

I hope this doesn’t come off as dinkish. I know my last post did but I was trying to on that one.
Nevada’s top players are all 22-23, Gonzaga has stayed in the top 10-20 for 20 years based on great foreign connections, a top transfer here and there and very good evaluation and then teaching them to play correctly. Virginia has a model and the guys stay 4-5 years.
Tennessee has a old team this year and it works.
A few people have asked me about some of the things I think make a difference fundamentally...I think this might be the easiest way to see a difference between a great team and a losing team: watch how they run the floor, as soon as there is a change in possession the great teams are sprinting with a purpose.

Merlin Samuels
Sophomore

Post by Merlin Samuels » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:47 am

NilesGold wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 am
Merlin Samuels wrote:
I disagreed with Kellogg being fired mainly because the team he was bringing back was loaded and I foresaw the A10 crown.

Did you watch Kellogg’s last season here, you know, the one where they were apparently “loaded” but still finished at the bottom of the A10, and lost to Duquesne by about 30?
Yes, the team full of very talented freshmen, hence my Duquesne comment.

If you can recruit, but can’t coach, you can still win games. If you can coach, but can’t recruit, you can win games. I’m not sure what’s happening now.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 am

^ There's no way Kellogg was leading UMass to an A10 crown in the next 10 years had he stayed.

Acer71
Freshman

Post by Acer71 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am

I agree on Kellogg's time to go. I don't understand the regression on Defense and think part of the offensive problem is missing our starting PG and his freshman replacement. I mean can any of the other's run the offense like they could? Apparently not!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am

These last 2 seasons have been confusing.. this year it looks like we have talent but something may be lacking in coaching.. last year we had a couple scholarship guys and a bunch of walk-ons and MM got them to play their ass off and we definitely stole some wins.. so which guy is he really?? I think he scrambled and got some transfers who if he had more time may have not taken.

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:09 am

Merlin Samuels wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:47 am
NilesGold wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 am
Merlin Samuels wrote:

Yes, the team full of very talented freshmen, hence my Duquesne comment.

If you can recruit, but can’t coach, you can still win games. If you can coach, but can’t recruit, you can win games. I’m not sure what’s happening now.
Pipkins, Jarreau, Gresham, Baldwin, Flowers. That was a good freshman class. Not sure Jarreau and Gresham would have stayed but who knows. We don't have a Baldwin type player - maybe Diallo will become that. We also don't have a big wing player like Flowers. McCall will have his team over the next couple years. I'm not too old to wait.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am

TheInsider wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am
These last 2 seasons have been confusing.. this year it looks like we have talent but something may be lacking in coaching.. last year we had a couple scholarship guys and a bunch of walk-ons and MM got them to play their ass off and we definitely stole some wins.. so which guy is he really?? I think he scrambled and got some transfers who if he had more time may have not taken.
More talent than last year, but the talent is still nothing to write home about. I think this year's team is sorely missing CJ Anderson, his playing ability (especially as a facilitator), but even more importantly as a leader.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:09 pm

^
True - his ability to miss layups and shoot lots of bricks would have fit in perfectly with this team too.....
In Matt McCall I trust!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:20 pm

^

I was wondering when that would finally rear its ugly head again.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:28 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:20 pm
^

I was wondering when that would finally rear its ugly head again.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking of you when I typed that. 8)
In Matt McCall I trust!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:35 pm

This is getting a little too erotic for me.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Acer71 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am
I agree on Kellogg's time to go. I don't understand the regression on Defense and think part of the offensive problem is missing our starting PG and his freshman replacement. I mean can any of the other's run the offense like they could? Apparently not!
First off great hot take on DK's time being up. Insightful

They were missing Pip for 1.5 games, and they scored a good amount against Fordham. Maybe we are not watching the same team, but it seems to my uneducated eye that this team either scores or defends, cannot do both in the same game.

Lastly, I do not believe Pip is the point on this team, the ball seems to be in #20 hands a lot. If #20 is not the point guard what is his value because teams are daring him to shoot.

#agreetodisagreewithoutbeingdisagreeable