State of the program

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMassHoops
Senior

Re: State of the program

Post by UMassHoops » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 am

Floyd wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:19 pm
eldonabe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 pm They are inconsistent - it is that simple.

Tell me this board is not in a collective circle-jerk right now if we are at 13 wins.
Nah, that must be an old fuckers thing :wink:
#CountMeIn

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am

I am expecting this team to start 0-5 (would love to be wrong), but even if they do I still won’t be ready to give up on the boys yet (so long as they play hard).

After that game, we’ve got:

St. Bonaventure - They’re pretty bad this season so I think we finally get on the board. 1-5

Rhody - I think with a win under our belts we get fired up for a rivalry game and look for revenge 2-5

@ La Salle - Should never have lost to them the first time - I don’t see it happening again, especially since we play seemingly better on the road 3-5

@ St. Joe’s - obviously they went ice cold for a bit, but they still have a high ceiling (just beat Davidson). For the sake of objectivity and taking off the maroon-goggles, let’s say we lose 3-6

Fordham - Have to expect a W here 4-6

Davidson - Davidson is flat out better than we are. I expect an L here 4-7

@ George Mason - let’s say we steal one. I haven’t given us a good win yet and we know it could happen with how close we’ve been. 5-7

@ GW - not physical, small. I just don’t see a loss here if the team is where I think they are at this point (give or take a game in either direction). 6-7

St. Joe’s - I gave Joe’s the other one but let’s stay with that objectivity theme and call this one a 50/50 game.

Ultimately that’s a very real path back to .500 in conference, and anything could happen from there (still get to play very beatable teams like Richmond, Duquesne, RI again, etc.) I know it won’t play out exactly as I’m predicting, but I just wanted to highlight why there’s still something left to hope for with this season without saying “well, onto next year” just because we are 0-4, probably 0-5. Just keep busting it and we can absolutely right the ship.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:57 am

I think it's pretty obvious that our struggles have mainly transferred from the defensive end (the main culprit in the NC) to the offensive end (the main culprit in conference play). While it's pretty obvious, I am still a numbers guy so I looked at some very basic (just meaning non-advanced stats) to see where we were. I recognize it's pretty early in conference play, but still just wanted to look.

PPG
CONF: 63.0
NC: 79.2

We are scoring 16 ppg less in conference than in non-conference play. I'm guessing there is usually a little drop-off for a variety of reasons (scouting, familiarity, intensity levels et all)

OPP PPG:
CONF: 68.5
NC: 75.8

Good news is we are giving up over 7 points less.

FG%
CONF: 42%
NC: 47%

3FG%
CONF: 32%
NC: 36%

OPP FG%
CONF: 42%
NC: 45%

3FG%
CONF: 35%
NC: 34%

Defense is making things harder for opponents overall in conference play, but we are no longer a decent shooting team (which we were overall in NC play)

FTM-FTA
CONF: 9.5-14.5
NC: 14.1-21.1

OPP FTM-FTA
CONF: 17.5-23.5
NC: 16.1-22

These are concerning #'s. Not only are we not a great FT shooting team, but we are no long getting to the line anywhere near the pace of our opponents. In conference play, opponents are now making more FTs than we are attempting. We are getting to the line 7 less times per game in conference play.

Didn't crunch them, but rebounding-wise we are doing a bit better on the defensive glass.

PIP:
CONF: 15.3 PPG, 29% FG, 26% 3FG, 4 APG, 1.06 A/TO RATIO
NC: 19.9 PPG, 40% FG, 32% 3FG, 5.9 APG, 1.97 A/TO RATIO

Pip wasn't incredibly consistent in NC play, but he was doing everything better than he has been in conference play. If he can figure out a way to snap out of this, I do think we could string some wins together.

I say that, but then I realize it's going to take more: Take Holloway out of the equation, rest of team is shooting 38% from floor. Cobb has fallen off a bit of a cliff all across the board. Pierre is still shooting well from deep (40% from deep) but seems to go stretches where he disappears and he's fairly limited. I also do think we miss having a healthy Laurent on offense.

The team had a 1.22 A/TO ratio in NC play, but in conference play it's .81. That's a pretty drastic drop off. The ball was moving more too -- almost 4 APG more in NC play. It's really become a slog in conference play on offense -- I think the lack of having a true point guard that helps make things easier for teammates on offense is an issue (hell I think it's been an issue since Chaz left). Combine that with missing someone who can go get themselves a good shot (Pip can get himself shots, they just aren't always good shots) and the free throw issues (both not getting to the line and not shooting great from the line) and I can see why the offense has cratered like it has. Non-numbers thing: Don't love the rotations/roles -- don't see much rhyme or reason to things.

It's pretty gloomy right now, but going to try and keep head up. Pip works at things -- I don't think that's ever been questioned -- hoping he can become more effective and efficient and in turn, I hope the rest of the team figures their shit out too. They tightened things up a bit on defense, no reason they can't do it on offense. They aren't a very good team right now, but the A-10 is pretty bad this year, this shit start doesn't doom them (yet).

I think I may have just wasted 30 minutes of my life I will never get back. (I guess that's not really keeping my head up). This was an interesting, if obvious, exercise. (That's better).
"I wrote a column and it went national"

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Do you think that it has anything to do with the cupcakes that we played in the Non-con?

Now that we are playing more competitive teams in Conference, are we seeing the true caliber of what we have?
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Probably a bit of a factor, yeah. Not sure how much, though. I think we had a few cupcakes in the non-conference for sure, but we also had some opponents who would do ok in the A10 (which may say more about what I think about the A10 this year than anything else). I also think there is something to conference opponents just being more familiar with you.

Last year though, I think where our lack of talent/depth showed in conference play was on the defensive end and not offensively. I think this year we are seeing at times a disjointed effort offensively (and I think the lack of a true point guard hurts us there) and then at times we are just missing pretty good shots.

Basketball is all kinda weird to me this year (the Celtics are Exhibit A) and not in a good weird way (like the weird girl who might be worth investing some time in) but a bad weird way (like the weird guy who just may have some actual skeletons in his closet).
"I wrote a column and it went national"

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm Do you think that it has anything to do with the cupcakes that we played in the Non-con?

Now that we are playing more competitive teams in Conference, are we seeing the true caliber of what we have?

Wasn't that part of the problem DK had?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:31 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm Wasn't that part of the problem DK had?

Apparently someone didn't like my question but felt twitter was an appropriate place to respond to it. :roll:

https://twitter.com/khandel84/status/10 ... 0994575362

@Innervisions33 LOOOOOOL, go look at the UMass OOC schedule for Kellogg's years and try to find a year that was remotely as horrible of an OOC conference as this year, then rethink your umasshoops post (I mean if you can actually think)
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so check the football forum for the full FB scheduling announcement.
Massachusetts will travel to Penn State in 2023, part of a two-sport agreement that includes a home-and-home men's basketball series starting in 2021 at UMass.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 pm

So how many years do we give McCall to make the tourney?

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:44 pm

4 seems fair to me. Funny to think about what this team will look like in two years. Think Samba and Carl will be the faces?

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:17 am

If the team doesn't somehow turn this around, I would give MM 0 more years.. Mullins was void of energy the other night which is a bad sign.

My mid term grades

Pipkins A-
Holloway B
Diallo C
Clergot C-
Pierre C-
Laurent D
Cobb D
McCall D

the rest get Incompletes

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:00 am

Are you basing your grades on how they've met your expectations or just general grading? My grades are in bold next to yours

Pipkins A- B shooting % is down and he hasn't shown the ability to take over like he did last year
Holloway B C- free throw % is way down and he's not a good rebounder
Diallo C C+ pleasant surprise, would like to see more
Clergot C- B brings great energy on both sides of the ball and can score a little
Pierre C- C his shot has been very streaky, and there are games where he's MIA
Laurent D B at times has been their best overall player. Can shoot and rebound, but hasn't played well lately. Injury?
Cobb D Agreed. Hot or cold. Received a suspension earlier this year
McCall D B The jury's out, but I have faith. Sounds great in interviews, has some head scratchers in games

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:17 am

stevemaz wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:17 am If the team doesn't somehow turn this around, I would give MM 0 more years.. Mullins was void of energy the other night which is a bad sign.

My mid term grades

Pipkins A-
Holloway B
Diallo C
Clergot C-
Pierre C-
Laurent D
Cobb D
McCall D

the rest get Incompletes
Oh my God, just stop! I reflect back on all the junk about DK's cupboard being bare when he got here. That wasn't bare. MM's cupboard was bare. Not only was it bare, it was on a stripper pole flashing its mommy parts. Give him a few years to build up the roster. MM took over a dumpster fire. DK got fired immediately after they lost in the A-10 tourney. Bamford couldn't even wait for players hair to be dry after their showers before he fired him. Think about that.

Edited to add: And I forgot all the PK crap he had to come in after which I am sure hurt recruiting.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 am

^

McCall's cupboard was much barer than DK's, no doubt about it.

The anti-McCall talk here is absurd.

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:24 am

^ Seriously. The guy has coached 1 1/2 years. 1 year with barely a roster. And now half way in to year 2 we have a combo of transfers and 3 frosh and he deserves to be on the hot seat apparently. Give it a rest. He's building towards something with 3 more frosh coming in next year. He has an idea of how he wants to play and he deserves time to get his guys in here to run his system before any of us pass any judgement on his coaching ability.