VEGAS GAMES 11/22 &11/23

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Hall of Fame

Re: VEGAS GAMES 11/22 &11/23

Post by 78 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:06 am

Really liked the effort tonight. They played so hard and never backed down but were simply overmatched. Nevada is just way too athletic and honestly we had no chance. We have no quality big men. In my opinion KTM should be the starting big. I think Holloway is one of the biggest disappointments in the history of UMass basketball. The guy has great skills, but his inability to stay in shape makes all of that skill worthless. Great game by Pipkins tonight and saw a lot of other good stuff. We are just so small, and seeing our freshmen trying to guard their 23-24 year old big men was sad. Hopefully Baptiste will bring a lot to the party because we need it. Overall, this game should do wonders for the rest of the non-con schedule and leading into conference play.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:16 am

Had to dive deep into the record books tonight.
Most points allowed since Feb. 27, 1988 - lost 119-114 at Rutgers in 3 OT
Most points allowed in regulation since Dec. 29, 1982 - lost 110-104 to North Texas State in the USF tournament in Tampa

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:43 am

First time I've been happy with a 20 point loss, UMass competed very hard tonight and got beaten by a VERY VERY good team. They showed everything I hoped for in good ball movement, and have a bright future. Nevada was just overwhelming and shot lights out along with their size advantage.

I said it before the game my big fear was Holloway would be unplayable and he was. Shame because dropping 40 pounds he's a dominant force, but at his current weight he can't compete against any team with agile big men. He will have his moments in A10 play, but Nevada had next level talent and he was not able to keep up. I also felt KTM should have gotten almost all his minutes tonight. My only other disappointment was I wanted to see more of Wood in the 2nd half, I felt his quickness at least bothered Nevada, he is elite in his burst.

Great game overall, if we play with the same intensity and hustle and teamwork the rest of the year we will win a lot of A10 games.

Floridafan71
Sophomore

Post by Floridafan71 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:26 am

Agreed good effort.It showed the Nevada team has better,older athletes. They were bigger and faster. Cobb,Holloway and others couldnot guard them.. The good point was it showed if we play with smarts,hustle and unselfishness we have a chance to win against almost any team on a given night.Pippins is a star and we have talent but were overpowered...We should be an A-10 force however. :P

Worcester_To_Amherst
Sophomore

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:04 am

I have to work at 6am, and I see they are replaying the Vegas final at 6am, so I hustle into the office to watch on my phone only to be greeted by Texas and Mich St! Wrong Vegas final damnit.

When I saw the score I was disappointing by how many points NU scored. I watched the highlights on FS1 (all NU highlights btw), but I noticed that the score was close even though Nevada clearly had a massive physical/talent advantage. The guys must have played hard and weren't scared by the challenge. If they can consistently play to this level we're going to be a happy bunch come end of the year.

bunkerhill87
Junior

Post by bunkerhill87 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:10 am

Nice to see posts that are positive. I thought Umass played hard against an unbelievably good team in Nevada. Those twins are remarkable as well as the cast around them. Totally agree that KTM should have played more. A few times our rebounding weakness was exposed but all in all I liked the effort. Goes to McCalls repeated statements of what it takes to win each and every game no matter the competition. He has been trying to instill that drive and intensity since day one into the culture. Looking forward to the next game

Acer71
Freshman

Post by Acer71 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 am

Saw most of the game and boy Nevada looks solid! Best loss I have seen us play in a while, with a lot to like and build off of. Glad to see KTM getting some minutes. minutes

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 am

I feel a lot better after this lone than I did after the Howard game.

Maybe we’ll look back on the Howard game as the wake-up call this team needed.

Great effort ever since! 8)
Last edited by LS71 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 am

If we have any more games this year where we score more points at the line, hit 15 threes, grab 15 offensive rebounds, have under 10 turnovers, and Pip scores 30, I am going to go out on a limb here and say we will win those games.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:25 am

Nevada is a very good team that also happened to play a very good game on top of it. On offense, Nevada's only weakness is their 3pt shooting, which is good, but somewhat inconsistent, and mostly reliant on 2 guys (Jazz Johnson & Caleb Martin). Caleb Martin is a solid shooter, but his 6-10 from 3 isn't commonplace, he came into he game making 32% of his 3s. Other guys also stepped up in limited attempts and made 3s who are normally inconsistent.

The referees were awful, Nevada had 4 very questionable and-1s in the first half alone. UMass was called for touch fouls over and over again against a very big and physical opponent. UMass had key players in foul trouble throughout the game, especially in the front court, limiting their ability to defend and rebound.

The Bad:
UMass struggled all game to defend the paint, coupled with Nevada's hot shooting allowed Nevada to score 110. I think UMass should've played more zone defense with Holloway in the game. Nevada's big men are capable of making perimeter shots, and then Holloway & KTM were on the floor they weren't fast enough to keep up, Nevada's big men were blowing by them on dribble drives when the Martins weren't abusing them on PnR. It would've also likely helped to limit fouls.

I thought Samba Diallo was effective in limited minutes, with Nevada's athleticism in the front court I think he should've been used more.

Caleb Martin was on fire from deep, as soon as he hit a couple of 3s I think UMass should've crowded him more on the perimeter and force him to put the ball on the floor, instead they continued to play the drive.

UMass' offense was heavily reliant on hero ball from Pipkins (and to a lesser extent Cobb). When he's playing well (he was) it's not the worst thing in the world, but when the rest of the team is playing & shooting well it's also not the best strategy..

The Good:
Effort level was again very good, if they can carry that over into the rest of the season they'll win a lot of games.

Only 9 turnovers in an up and down game with a lot of possessions is very impressive.

FT shooting was 80%

UMass took 36 3s for the 2nd game in a row... as I pointed out about a week ago with the lineups McCall uses this team should be taking a lot of 3s, more than the 20 a game they were taking early in the season.

When UMass wasn't playing hero ball the ball movement was excellent and they generated very good shots that they more often than not converted into points.

Laurent & Clergeot seem to have settled into their roles and shaken off their rust, they're playing much better and having a big positive impact on the game in both Vegas games.

KTM, while still limited, has become a solid backup.

umass2001
Sophomore

Post by umass2001 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 am

After watching the game I am very excited about this team. If we can play the way we did in the last 2 games we will make a post-season appearance of some sort. Nevada is a top 10 team and probably will be moving up into the top 5 on Monday. The part that I think will get overlooked is that until the last 2.5 minutes we were within 12 points and that we scored 87 points against a top team.

With the exception of 1 bad game, we are blowing out teams that we should and playing hard against top opponents. If the team can make some improvements between now and the beginning of a10 I think we will exceed a lot of expectations.

Uminuteman
Junior

Post by Uminuteman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 am

The biggest improvement this team can make is to bring Holloway in off the bench. He basically only plays bench minutes anyway, so give KTM the bump in time. Maybe he can improve like Hines did last year. Holloway is way to overweight to compete for any length of time. He should be riding an exercise bike during the entire game until he gets put in for his 11 minutes. And no Gatorade, only water. No orange slices at half time either :wink:

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 am

What hurt more than the 3's was our bigs couldn't compete inside and Holloway was ineffective for the most part. The second and third shots were killers . . . hopefully an athletic 6'11 250 Baptiste will remedy some of this.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Sophomore

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:05 am

Was just able to watch the first half on replay. I really wonder if Clergeot can shoot 3s at a 35% clip, or if the past few games have been an aberration. I really think this team has the talent to make a run at the A10 title next year, provided PIP stays. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but this is the deepest team I've seen since I've followed the team, and as the guys get more comfortable in their roles and gel together, this team is going to be a tough competitor the rest of the way.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:11 am

UMass would have most likely lost even if the officials called their best game, but man, did they blow. Constant thuggery by Nevada vs ticky tack for UMass. Where were the officials from? I do not think ACC or even SEC guys would have called it this way. So, new team to root against. I do not like Nevada, the state, or the hoops team.
Will be interesting to see if the intensity is there against Quinnipiac.