KAEO: John Buggs III

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: John Buggs III

Post by NilesGold » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:15 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm
From Pip's point of view, transferring is the wise thing. Transferring to a good P5 school would give him more exposure and more opportunity to play against the best competition. As with Camby, there's nothing to be gained professionally by staying another year at UMass. (Although unlike Camby, he's far from a lock to ever make it in the NBA.) The only way I see it making sense for him to stay is if we win the conference tourney and go on a run in the NCAA's.
I'm not going to make any assumptions about Pipkins' state of mind or thought process, but objectively, I don't think transferring will benefit him from a basketball & career point of view, the risk/reward profile is not in his favor. He gets a lot of exposure here, especially as the unquestioned star of the team and top 3 player in the league, and while I love him, I don't see a good NCAAT team giving him the same green light & minutes that he gets here. The likelihood is stronger that a shift in coaching staff & teammates will do more harm than the likelihood changing teams will make him better or improve his exposure.

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:21 am

MG
I’ve seen Ward play quite a bit, he has come a long way over the last few years defensively and rebounding wise, still raw offensively but I think he could develop offensively down the road. If I had to compare him to someone I’d say Stephane Lasme as a freshman,raw but athletic. I am not hanging Lasmesque expectations on him just saying Ward is raw in that fashion with similar attributes. Lasme worked his butt off in his four years here. If he does come to UMass I’d be happy with that, we need rebounding help and a shot blocker. He would benefit from a Prep year after this season.

I caught the Central and Putnam game the other night and Ward had a strong game. I was surprised to see Taelon Martin (who I believe UMass had interest in) back at Putnam, one of the most talented players from Springfield in many years.

Off Season
Thanks for the Buggs and Santos info, I’ve heard similar comments from others. I agree with you on the high pick and roll offense but hoping it will change next year with different talent.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:48 am

I'd say there's less than a 5 percent chance Pipkins is here next year...and I hope TheOFFseason is right in that the staff is prepared and already working on what the team will be like without him. I love Pip, but it makes perfect sense for him to go, especially if it is too a P5 program.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:17 pm

78 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:48 am
I love Pip, but it makes perfect sense for him to go, especially if it is too a P5 program.
I think it depends on which P5 program. I mean he chose UMass over DePaul.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:52 pm

78 wrote:
I love Pip, but it makes perfect sense for him to go, especially if it is too a P5 program.
Why does it make more sense for him to leave? And please be specific.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:07 pm

He said perfect sense not more sense.

Lists could be put together for either side of the argument pretty easily — and neither list would be wrong. It’s what is right for Pip that matters and since none of us are in his shoes, we have no idea what that answer is.

It sounds like he’s probably gone and if that’s the case, well I hope he kicks ass at his next stop.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Jackson96 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:07 pm
He said perfect sense not more sense.

Lists could be put together for either side of the argument pretty easily — and neither list would be wrong. It’s what is right for Pip that matters and since none of us are in his shoes, we have no idea what that answer is.

It sounds like he’s probably gone and if that’s the case, well I hope he kicks ass at his next stop.
Thank you for that unnecessary clarification. I'm not asking what Pipkins thinks, I'm simply curious to know why 78 thinks it makes perfect sense for Pipkins to leave.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:27 pm

You’re welcome, guy.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:04 pm

^ Thanks Jackson96. You may be surprised to learn that my name isn't "guy", my first name is Niles. Feel free to refer to me by my given name, or my username if you prefer. I suppose you can keep using "guy" if those other options are too difficult for you, although I apologize in advance if I don't realize you're referring to me.

And Happy Holidays to you and yours!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes, Happy Holidays, guy!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:23 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:52 pm
78 wrote:
Why does it make more sense for him to leave? And please be specific.
He wants a real shot at the big dance. He wants to play in a conference with a higher level of competition. He potentially wants to play closer to home. He thinks McCall is an okay coach, but is not crazy about him (this is just a total guess I am throwing out there).
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Definitely. I totally get it. Selfishly, I want him here, finishing out his career as a 4-yr player, one of the all-time all-timers. But it's not exactly like he's been part of a winner in his two and a half years. If you boil Luwane down to one component that makes him a great ball player, it's his competitiveness, and playing on mediocre teams gets old, especially when you know P5 schools are interested. Makes perfect sense.

I could see him staying, I could see him going, but I'm inclined to believe the OffSeason's info.

Also, John Buggs III, sounds like a good player with a prohibition era Chicago gangland name. I'm in.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Buddy Guy, sweet music.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:46 pm

78 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:23 pm
He wants a real shot at the big dance. He wants to play in a conference with a higher level of competition. He potentially wants to play closer to home. He thinks McCall is an okay coach, but is not crazy about him (this is just a total guess I am throwing out there).
I think those are all rational reasons. But I'm not sure I buy them.

Pipkins had an offer from DePaul. He would have been in a conference with not only higher competition but the highest level of competition. DePaul is in Chicago so he would have been very close to home. And being in the Big East, as long as they go 0.500 in conference they'll make the big dance.
Last edited by McKinney on Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.