KAEO: John Buggs III

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: John Buggs III

Post by LS71 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:35 pm

I hope MM pairing Wood with Pip is incentive for PIp to stay...while helping Wood develop to his full potential.

Pip's a great story for UMass...sitting out a year only to leave as one of the best UMass players ever. 8)

I like this year's freshmen and based on what I've read I pleased with next year's class as well. Things are looking up!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Berkman wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:13 pm
And the coach can suggest that someone leave because they are not going to get much playing time.
The coach can do much more than "suggest"....he can simply not renew the scholarship, periord, end of problem.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:32 pm

69MG wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:08 pm
^ 100% agree with this, although none of us can possibly know what LP is thinking. It is logical that if we can get to the NIT this year and he feels like we can get to the NCAA next year he would stay.

As far as who might transfer, we are all pretty much in agreement that Unique is the first one. I would have thought hands down that KTM would be next, but after Sunday's game I'm reserving judgement. Let's see if MM gives him more PT and how he plays. My choice now, however illogical it may be is Hayward. He can shoot, but McCall doesn't seem to have confidence in him in any other aspect of the game. We have other shooters and 2 more coming in next year.
Hayward won't be transferring after this season, he would lose a year of eligibility. He could be a grad transfer the year after, but a lot can happen between now and then. I think he has potential.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:35 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:32 pm
69MG wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:08 pm
^ 100% agree with this, although none of us can possibly know what LP is thinking. It is logical that if we can get to the NIT this year and he feels like we can get to the NCAA next year he would stay.

As far as who might transfer, we are all pretty much in agreement that Unique is the first one. I would have thought hands down that KTM would be next, but after Sunday's game I'm reserving judgement. Let's see if MM gives him more PT and how he plays. My choice now, however illogical it may be is Hayward. He can shoot, but McCall doesn't seem to have confidence in him in any other aspect of the game. We have other shooters and 2 more coming in next year.
Hayward won't be transferring after this season, he would lose a year of eligibility. He could be a grad transfer the year after, but a lot can happen between now and then. I think he has potential.
He could still transfer after this year as a grad transfer, which is what Unique is doing. Seeing as he hasn’t been in the rotation I wouldn’t be surprised if Hayward looked elsewhere

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Kelz626 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:35 pm
He could still transfer after this year as a grad transfer, which is what Unique is doing. Seeing as he hasn’t been in the rotation I wouldn’t be surprised if Hayward looked elsewhere
This is only his 3rd year in college so unless he graduates early he would have to sit out again and lose a year. That's why in my original post I called it illogical. The only reason for him to do this is to find a school (lower level DI) where he could start for 1 year. Personally, i don't care who else transfers as long as it isn't LP. We can replace anybody else.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Here’s some Buggs highlights:

https://youtu.be/NQhleyMoIRs
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Worcester_To_Amherst
Sophomore

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 am

IMO the biggest question hanging over the team this year and into next is whether or not Pip is interested in finishing his career somewhere else. He stuck it out here after DK even though he was close to leaving, and he's blossomed into on of the best scoring guards in the country. I assume he could have his choice of program to join as a grad transfer if he wants. Mccall is definitely hedging by bringing in another PG in the class after Wood.

We have 3 commits, 1 guy leaving, so 2 more need to go. Unique and KTM are probably who we all want to see find a good situation somewhere else, but I'm afraid one of those (at least) 2 is going to be Pip. If it's too early to talk about this then so be it and sorry for bringing this up, but it's been weighing on my UMass fanhood more than anything else this year. I have no idea which way he's leaning, but I feel like he'd be the type of guy to let Mccall know if he had intentions on leaving, which could explain the big emphasis on getting Buggs.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 am

Sit back and enjoy Pip. Whether he decides to leave or not is out of anyone's control, so just enjoy watching him now. Kid is an excellent player, we're lucky he's here

I think if you can get a kid that upgrades your team and also fills a need, you do it. If Pip comes back, Wood is here to also play point, and Buggs is still only a freshman. Plus Cobb is a senior. It looks like teams with more hybrid type guys is becoming the norm, but you still definitely need good pg play and a couple stud big guys

Love to see Pip stay and close out a great career, but who knows what'll happen
The E sho, best show in town

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 am

I had the opportunity to watch Buggs this week and here is my opinion:

1. He is a shooter/scorer and not a pg
2. He is very active and plays tough/hard
3. He is a team guy...constantly bringing energy whether he is on the court or bench. PSA is LOADED, especially at guard where they have 6 guys that are A10 level or better and honestly Buggs is 4th on that list.
4. He is a guy I would definitely want on my team if I was coaching and I don’t think it will take long for him to be a fan favorite.

Some non-Buggs notes:

1. Pip is gone (don’t kill the messenger)
2. I also saw Santos play recently and he has improved from the last time I saw him. Has a similar energy to Buggs and looks to be a good teammate
3. People in the Springfield area expect Central forward Hason Ward to commit to UMass
4. If you get the opportunity to see a Putnam Science game don’t hesitate. They have a dozen D1 players and they are very well coached...they run great offensive sets, always get the ball to guys in a spot on the floor where they can be successful, they catch and look..:don’t just dribble with no purpose, never run the high pick and roll BS. On defense they are in great position and they rebound hard 1-5. They are 18-0 this year and have won 42 in a row overall. Similar to how it used to be getting a kid from Dematha, if you get a kid from PSA he will be ahead of most kids in basketball IQ

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:46 am

^ OffSeason, How good do you think Hason Ward is? He generally doesn't face stiff competition in the greater Springfield Public School leagues and I haven't seen anything about him playing AAU ball. All I know is that he is long and athletic. Here's a video:
https://247sports.com/Video/HasonWard-2 ... ?View=Full

Did a little search and found this from Feb., 2018.
Hason Ward records 22 blocks as No. 1 Central defeats Weaver (Hartford)
When I was younger, Weaver had a powerhouse team. I doubt that's the case now but 22 blocks is mind-boggling.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 am

3. He is a team guy...constantly bringing energy whether he is on the court or bench. PSA is LOADED, especially at guard where they have 6 guys that are A10 level or better and honestly Buggs is 4th on that list.
Tyson Etienne, Hassan Diarra, and who else is in your opinion ahead of Buggs? Langford Jr? Pride? Silvera?
TheOFFSeason wrote:
Nor surprising, but disappointing nonetheless. Did you hear any particular reason for his early departure?
TheOFFSeason wrote:
never run the high pick and roll BS.
Don't we run a lot of high pick & roll?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:57 am

69MG wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:46 am
^ OffSeason, How good do you think Hason Ward is? He generally doesn't face stiff competition in the greater Springfield Public School leagues and I haven't seen anything about him playing AAU ball. All I know is that he is long and athletic. Here's a video:
https://247sports.com/Video/HasonWard-2 ... ?View=Full

Did a little search and found this from Feb., 2018.
Hason Ward records 22 blocks as No. 1 Central defeats Weaver (Hartford)
When I was younger, Weaver had a powerhouse team. I doubt that's the case now but 22 blocks is mind-boggling.

MG, I have never seen him play and really have never asked about him much. This information on him came from a reliable source but it caught me off guard. I’m assuming he wants to come to UMass and they need to find an opening.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:02 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am
TheOFFSeason wrote:

Tyson Etienne, Hassan Diarra, and who else is in your opinion ahead of Buggs? Langford Jr? Pride? Silvera?
TheOFFSeason wrote:
Nor surprising, but disappointing nonetheless. Did you hear any particular reason for his early departure?
TheOFFSeason wrote:
never run the high pick and roll BS.
Don't we run a lot of high pick & roll?
Langford is better...he is leaning towards reclassifying and coming out this year. Diarra is Excellent.

Didn’t hear anything on Pip except that he is going...the staff has been expecting this since the beginning of last year. It might be that McCall made the pitch at his house to give him 2 yrs and then transfer without sitting rather than transfer at the time and sit before playing..

Yes we do...not a fan

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Didn’t hear anything on Pip except that he is going...the staff has been expecting this since the beginning of last year. It might be that McCall made the pitch at his house to give him 2 yrs and then transfer without sitting rather than transfer at the time and sit before playing..
From Pip's point of view, transferring is the wise thing. Transferring to a good P5 school would give him more exposure and more opportunity to play against the best competition. As with Camby, there's nothing to be gained professionally by staying another year at UMass. (Although unlike Camby, he's far from a lock to ever make it in the NBA.) The only way I see it making sense for him to stay is if we win the conference tourney and go on a run in the NCAA's.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:07 pm

^ Philosophical difference of opinion with McCall? Or would McCall rather not run so much PnR either? Perhaps we currently don't have the personnel to make his preferred method of offense work? Or maybe he'd prefer to focus on teaching the team to play better defense, and shifting over to a new offensive system would do more harm than good at the present time?