KAEO: John Buggs III

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
stevemaz
Junior

Re: KAEO: John Buggs III

Post by stevemaz » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:28 am

I would be surprised if Pipkins doesn't grad transfer. It would make sense for him.. maybe Illinois.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:15 am

Maybe not with Pip. I mean, rarely do freshman come in and take over a guys minutes who produce like Pip. Could be setting up for year after with Wood and Buggs

Plus, maybe someone else could be a grad transfer possibility that we don't know about
The E sho, best show in town

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 am

Just read that Karl Malone was also a three-time state champ at Summerfield HS before going to play at La Tech.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 am
Just read that Karl Malone was also a three-time state champ at Summerfield HS before going to play at La Tech.
I haven’t seen him, so I don’t have an opinion on him but here is what I do like:

His HS team won a Championship and he will win a lot of games and compete for the National Championship at PSA. There are definitely habits that are formed at winning programs. The transfers this year all came from schools that weren’t winning, that doesn’t guarantee anything but...
Also, I wouldn’t worry too much about his playing time at PSA as they are deep at guard.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 am
Jackson96 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 am
I haven’t seen him, so I don’t have an opinion on him but here is what I do like:
Karl Malone was a pretty good player :wink: :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 am

Yeah PSA and Woodstock both are loaded.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:40 am

Floyd wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:15 am
Maybe not with Pip. I mean, rarely do freshman come in and take over a guys minutes who produce like Pip. Could be setting up for year after with Wood and Buggs

Plus, maybe someone else could be a grad transfer possibility that we don't know about
I don't think Pipkins would be grad transferring because he's worried about losing time. If he is going to transfer I would imagine it would be to a P5 school to build exposure for himself for a professional career.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:46 am

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, not worded too well. I don't think any freshman coming in would dig into his minutes, but I would think he'd get tons of exposure if he could lead umass into a tourney spot vs go somewhere else where he'd have to kind of start over
The E sho, best show in town

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:35 am

This is Pip's team for the next two years. There is no reason for him to transfer from a basketball standpoint. He is most likely on the radar screen of anyone who would consider paying him to play after college. All you speculators who enjoy spreading rumors via your opinions may be right in the end but he is the man at UMass and in the A10 and has the chance to leave here as one of the greatest ever. A little run in March would help too!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Rayers, I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. If I'm Pip, I want a piece of the action. If it looks like UMass won't deliver then I'm going somewhere else. That's the only reason to leave, IMHO.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:22 pm

"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:57 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:17 pm
Rayers, I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. If I'm Pip, I want a piece of the action. If it looks like UMass won't deliver then I'm going somewhere else. That's the only reason to leave, IMHO.
Agree with this 100 percent. If the team flounders this year and Pip has a chance to play at a P5 school and possibly be closer to home, I could definitely see him taking that opportunity. The only thing we know now is that 2 players have to go. Have to wonder how that affects the players on this year's team.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:08 pm

^ 100% agree with this, although none of us can possibly know what LP is thinking. It is logical that if we can get to the NIT this year and he feels like we can get to the NCAA next year he would stay.

As far as who might transfer, we are all pretty much in agreement that Unique is the first one. I would have thought hands down that KTM would be next, but after Sunday's game I'm reserving judgement. Let's see if MM gives him more PT and how he plays. My choice now, however illogical it may be is Hayward. He can shoot, but McCall doesn't seem to have confidence in him in any other aspect of the game. We have other shooters and 2 more coming in next year.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 pm

I am guessing the coaches and players have pretty good ideas about who is leaving/probably leaving. Otherwise I don’t think they would have taken 3 commitments.

I think we can deduct a little bit who it might be based on who appears to be in the plans, but I don’t think we can deduct what someone like Pip is thinking (without any inside info).

As for Buggs, if he can shoot, I’m happy to have him. If Santos can bring some atheticism and length on the wing, I’m happy to have him. If Thomas can bring some rebounding and rim protection, I’m happy to have him. We missed on a couple of kids that were higher ranked, sure, but we are are also coming off a down season. And these kids all sound like they can play a little bit...we will see just how much when they get here.

Now I’m just going to try and enjoy this season we still have to play here.

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:32 pm

stevemaz wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:28 am
I would be surprised if Pipkins doesn't grad transfer. It would make sense for him.. maybe Illinois.
If Pip decides to Grad Transfer, I hope he aims higher than Illinois. I understand it makes the most sense being he's form CHI, but if he leaves Umass I hope it's to go to a better team or to go pro.