KAEO: John Buggs III

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: John Buggs III

Post by Floyd » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:55 pm

If it was a 2 year thing, isn't there a way they slide him to an academic scholly for a year which frees up one to replace him in his lost year(s)? Thought I read somewhere that its possible
Time to Win

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 pm

Berkman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:56 pm Didn't we have a FB player that did that?
Yes, we did. Bryton Barr. He didn't know that he would get the extra time until he petitioned the NCAA after completing five years.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:23 pm

I realize there's a pandemic going on so not much news about individual players but, anyone hear anything about how JBuggs is doing? Hope he's healing up well and gets back playing and practicing soon. Love the kids attitude and glad he's a UMass kid. #JBuggsUMassStrong
Time to Win

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:31 am

Just saw that Buggs is transferring! Horrible news! Will miss his positive attitude.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Damn!
Guess I should have said #JBuggsNotForLong

Wish him well. Hate losing good kids
Time to Win

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm

Great kid. Not good kid.

Wish Bugsy well. Thanks John for being a Minuteman. Once a Minuteman, ALWAYS a Minuteman. You will always be a brother Bugsy.
Refuse To Lose!!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Wish John Buggs III the best and really liked him as well.
Go UMass!!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:50 am

When Sean EAst left and we heard that Fernandes might not eligible after all, I was thinking that Buggs had a chance to break through this coming season. He has played some PG, he's a good defender, he can shoot from distance (they say) and score off the dribble. I'm waiting to be proven wrong, but in the meantime, I thought he was competitive with KMitchell and Garcia.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:45 pm

^ JB was the biggest unknown of the returning players. We had such a small sample size that personally I had no idea what kind of player he might have turned out to be. His high school stat were very good but I didn't see much about his stats from PSA. I hope he finds the right school and gets to play a lot.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 am

uz2b-len wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:50 am He has played some PG, he's a good defender, he can shoot from distance (they say) and score off the dribble. I'm waiting to be proven wrong, but in the meantime, I thought he was competitive with KMitchell and Garcia.
The only thing Buggs showed at UMass was that he could be a pesky defender in short bursts. Not saying he couldn't have been any/all of the things you say here, but there's really no supporting evidence.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 am

The supporting evidence is what he achieved before getting to college. It isn't proof, but it is the reason he was recruited.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Not sure how much he would have played this year or in the future but he seemed like the kinda dude you want on your team regardless from a chemistry standpoint

Some kids leave the team and I don’t pay them much attention. That won’t be the case with Buggsy Mogues.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:52 pm

I've really lost some of my enthusiasm. I haven't enjoyed seeing players I like leave the team. Okay, Samba, I understand he really lacked the necessary offensive skills and didn't seem to improving (except for his foul shooting, which got much better). But I still don't understand what happened with Sean East. I really enjoyed watching him play. He put up numbers comparable to what Jalen Crutcher and Kyle Lofton did as freshman. He could have teamed up with Fernandes to give us a great PG situation. I don't see Garcia as a true PG and Kolton Mitchell, as we know, can't shoot. Yeah, he's practicing 3pt shooting this summer, but what about his foul shooting. He's a bench player and Garcia can play off the ball. Now Buggs has left. I really enjoyed his energy and he had some great numbers in h.s. He's reputedly an excellent 3pt shooter. Any ideas why he left? The team finished last season on such a high note. They really beat Rhody everywhere but the scoreboard. One of the lamest calls I've ever seen. The NEVER make that call. They don't even call body contact on a routine lay-up attempt, never mind a complete stuff like Mitchell produced. What BS. Anyway, such a high note, and then the team is disassembled. Screw it.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:22 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:52 pm I've really lost some of my enthusiasm. I haven't enjoyed seeing players I like leave the team. Okay, Samba, I understand he really lacked the necessary offensive skills and didn't seem to improving (except for his foul shooting, which got much better). But I still don't understand what happened with Sean East. I really enjoyed watching him play. He put up numbers comparable to what Jalen Crutcher and Kyle Lofton did as freshman. He could have teamed up with Fernandes to give us a great PG situation. I don't see Garcia as a true PG and Kolton Mitchell, as we know, can't shoot. Yeah, he's practicing 3pt shooting this summer, but what about his foul shooting. He's a bench player and Garcia can play off the ball. Now Buggs has left. I really enjoyed his energy and he had some great numbers in h.s. He's reputedly an excellent 3pt shooter. Any ideas why he left? The team finished last season on such a high note. They really beat Rhody everywhere but the scoreboard. One of the lamest calls I've ever seen. The NEVER make that call. They don't even call body contact on a routine lay-up attempt, never mind a complete stuff like Mitchell produced. What BS. Anyway, such a high note, and then the team is disassembled. Screw it.
I think you are overating buggs a bit pre injury he really didn’t show much of an offensive game. Good guy but was going be a 12th man and I think he wanted to be closer to home. On the other guys some of it was a desire to not compete that’s why they dropped down a level where they would be guaranteed more playing time
Last edited by UMassfan_19 on Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.