KAEO: Jalen Thomas

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DirSport
Junior

Re: KAEO: Jalen Thomas

Post by DirSport » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 am

Thomas and his U-D Jesuit team lost the Michigan Division 1 state final at the buzzer Saturday, 64-62 to Lincoln HS from Ypsilanti. He had six points, seven rebounds, a block and a steal in 22 minutes. U-D Jesuit finished 25-3.
https://www.mhsaa.com/portals/0/Documen ... 1final.pdf

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:58 am

Jesus DirSport! Talk on Twitter has been that Jalen was "lead" recruited by one of the assistants we just let go so seeing this thread pop up gave me a scare.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Up close and personal with Jalen. I think this piece was shot this week. I would hope that MM had already notified him of the staff changes and if that's the case then he is still on board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4FUK5R ... e=youtu.be

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:04 am

I'm excited to see Jalen Thomas here next year. I think the kid is going to be pretty frickin good, especially alongside Tre Mitchell
The E sho, best show in town

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:31 am

I think Jalen will be a little more of a guy you have to develop in the begining... If Tre comes here, Jalen will probably be behind Djery, Tre, and Sy. He played and didn't exactly dominate in a H.S. league. Not saying he won't be good. It just may take a little time.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 am

Yeah, probably, but that's ok. I like his size, he appears to have good hands, and he's pretty long & athletic. Lot to work with. Appears to be a good shot blocker as well
The E sho, best show in town

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 am

TheInsider wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:31 am
I think Jalen will be a little more of a guy you have to develop in the begining... If Tre comes here, Jalen will probably be behind Djery, Tre, and Sy. He played and didn't exactly dominate in a H.S. league. Not saying he won't be good. It just may take a little time.
If he's behind Djery I would be disappointed. Djery should be nothing more than a depth player next year.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:30 am

I think with big dudes it can be hard to tell sometimes who is more ready right off the bat than with guards. That said, if the Mitchell kid comes here, he should be ready -- has good size and skill and has played against really good competition. Thomas, I think will be a little more of a project but his team had quite a bit of success this year and if he can defend and rebound than maybe he can earn some minutes and his offense will catch up on the court. Does seem like there is a bit to work with for him so that bodes well for down the line.

I agree with you natwam on Baptiste -- I do think they will need some minutes from him early in the season, but I am hoping he is a "break glass if needed emergency" kind of guy by the time conference season rolls around. I know he's got great size and strength and can move a little bit (not a ton but a little bit) but he's just not really good at any one thing out there and is still a project on offense.

As for Sy, I will be excited to see him get some minutes at a second big spot -- I think he's athletic enough to be versatile defensively and he's also shown signs of having a decent outside shot so spacing might not be a big issue with him out there as a second big. Plus he's really young still...
"I wrote a column and it went national"

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:34 am

His coach is spreading his praise...
Pat Donnelly
‏@UDJHoopsCoach

@official_jay11 (Jalen Thomas) finished his @UDJBasketball career as one of the most decorated players in school history. 4 CHSL, Op Friendship, District, Regional Titles. 2 Final Fours, a MHSAA Finalist and MHSAA State Championship. @UMassBasketball is getting a good one.
https://twitter.com/UDJHoopsCoach/statu ... 1024949248

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:30 am
I think with big dudes it can be hard to tell sometimes who is more ready right off the bat than with guards. That said, if the Mitchell kid comes here, he should be ready -- has good size and skill and has played against really good competition. Thomas, I think will be a little more of a project but his team had quite a bit of success this year and if he can defend and rebound than maybe he can earn some minutes and his offense will catch up on the court. Does seem like there is a bit to work with for him so that bodes well for down the line.

I agree with you natwam on Baptiste -- I do think they will need some minutes from him early in the season, but I am hoping he is a "break glass if needed emergency" kind of guy by the time conference season rolls around. I know he's got great size and strength and can move a little bit (not a ton but a little bit) but he's just not really good at any one thing out there and is still a project on offense.

As for Sy, I will be excited to see him get some minutes at a second big spot -- I think he's athletic enough to be versatile defensively and he's also shown signs of having a decent outside shot so spacing might not be a big issue with him out there as a second big. Plus he's really young still...
His teams won 4 league titles, a State Championship and a finalist in the State...he was a key player...he will be more ready to help us win games than most are expecting.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 am

^ His strength is his shot-blocking, and I was told that he has a good jump shot. I think his shot-blocking in particular could be an asset right away.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 am

If he’s ready to five minutes right away that would be a very good thing.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:36 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:30 am
but I am hoping he is a "break glass if needed emergency" kind of guy by the time conference season rolls around. I know he's got great size and strength and can move a little bit (not a ton but a little bit) but he's just not really good at any one thing out there and is still a project on offense.
My thoughts exactly. Plus, if you're trying to establish a culture and turn the page, why not just hand the keys to the Frosh/Sophs?

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 am

If he has the drive and desire in him to block everything at the rim and thinks every rebound belongs to him (which I think he does) - he immediately leap frogs Djery in the depth chart.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 pm

69MG wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 pm
Up close and personal with Jalen. I think this piece was shot this week. I would hope that MM had already notified him of the staff changes and if that's the case then he is still on board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4FUK5R ... e=youtu.be
He looks to have developed physically in his upper body since the first video I saw of him. Calls himself an energy guy who blocks shots, well we could sure use that!!! Will be playing in April. Hopefully more video to follow.
Refuse To Lose!!!