KAEO Djery Baptiste

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Cahoonaville
Junior

Re: Djery Baptiste

Post by Cahoonaville » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Baptiste looked like a man among boys against LaSalle. Guy is huge.....
FBS Football finally! A dream come true!!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:02 pm

Sean Carter 2.0. Rebound, block shots, score on a few putbacks and that'll help alot!
The E sho, best show in town

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

I know absolutely nothing about Baptiste's playing history so I have nothing to compare last night to. Not sure if he just needs to get his legs back under him or what, but he honestly looked like he had cinder blocks for feet last night. I know SLU is a tough matchup because their bigs are pretty quick and athletic, but not the best performance last night.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Early (very early) impressions: He can help with his size as a shot blocker, but he's seems very limited on offense and he is a bit foul-prone.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:20 pm

His underplaying his stats at Vanderbilt, especially in scoring. I imagine that will bounce back with playing time.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... rs_per_min
edit: I guess "his" is not the abbreviation for "he is," is it?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am

^ No, that would be he's :lol:

Badger13
Freshman

Post by Badger13 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:42 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Early (very early) impressions: He can help with his size as a shot blocker, but he's seems very limited on offense and he is a bit foul-prone.
I would agree....not much in way of offense but a difference maker on D..especially against smaller teams

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:34 pm

I like lineup w 2 bigs at a time. Was cool seeing him and RH at same time.
Refuse To Lose!!!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Floyd wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:02 pm
Sean Carter 2.0. Rebound, block shots, score on a few putbacks and that'll help alot!
Very good comparison!
Last edited by inthescoop on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 pm

He's a grad student now.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Yeah, definitely SEAN 2.0.

Really want to see two bigs at a time, at least part of the game. Hopefully we would get more rebounds on offense and some more blocks.

Hope the new guy next year has good hands, looks on tape like he does.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:34 pm

A wrong-side-of-the-tracks Sean Carter is more like it to me. Bigger and stronger maybe, but not as quick as Sean, who was also a bit more versatile in that you could have him guard some face up guys and back to the basket guys. Sean wasn't great offensively either but he was better than what we've seen from Djery. The limited offensive touches for Djery have been pretty underwhelming thus far.

Still really early though...hopefully Djery gets more comfortable and he's able to give a little more offensively. Regardless, he's still pretty helpful on the defensive end, but I'm not sure how much you can really play him with RH - would really depend on the matchups (does the opponent go small negate us going big?) and if you are willing to give up some spacing on offense for the additional rebounding. Could work in small stretches like it has I guess. I'd rather see us go RH/Djery and then two of Samba/Laurent (if healthy)/Chatman if our lack of size is hurting us.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:09 pm

I agree with the above. Good insight.

Hope that DB just needs to get sharp after a long layoff. Next year it seems he will have a lot of PT, plus the rest of this year. Maybe he puts it together a bit more. He does some little things nicely and can block shots. Doesn't look lost out there but his hands are manos de piedras...
Refuse To Lose!!!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Jackson96 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:34 pm
A wrong-side-of-the-tracks Sean Carter is more like it to me. Bigger and stronger maybe, but not as quick as Sean, who was also a bit more versatile in that you could have him guard some face up guys and back to the basket guys. Sean wasn't great offensively either but he was better than what we've seen from Djery. The limited offensive touches for Djery have been pretty underwhelming thus far.

Still really early though...hopefully Djery gets more comfortable and he's able to give a little more offensively. Regardless, he's still pretty helpful on the defensive end, but I'm not sure how much you can really play him with RH - would really depend on the matchups (does the opponent go small negate us going big?) and if you are willing to give up some spacing on offense for the additional rebounding. Could work in small stretches like it has I guess. I'd rather see us go RH/Djery and then two of Samba/Laurent (if healthy)/Chatman if our lack of size is hurting us.
+1 hard to argue with that. Not practicing with a team since March has shown, his initial touch and feel for the game isn't there yet, but it is developing. The coaching staff cannot just see him as a defensive presence, we need to start working him more down low as well. Even if he doesn't score, it would help to get the ball in the post and kick it out for an open 3, right now, our only post presence is Holloway and he gets double teamed immediately.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat May 11, 2019 9:29 pm