KAEO: Sy Chatman

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
capezona
Senior

Re: KAEO: Sy Chatman

Post by capezona » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:36 pm

TheInsider wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:29 pm
Wow! Really a strange time to go but going now means he can join a new team after the 1st semester.
Of course he won't be eligible until a year from now.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:41 pm

That's what I meant.. next years 2nd semester

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm

5-0 without him this year - 0-6 with him...just saying.

so I say this in jest...but the more I think about it, have you ever seen the kid smile? he always seems so mad. Before he joined the team, they all seemed so loose...dancing on the bench, joking around with each other...seems like a lot of that stopped when he got back. Maybe he was a bad influence in the locker room. Hopefully they get back to playing loose and having fun now.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm

^never mind that they played the defending national champ, two top 100 KenPom Ivy teams, and 3 other P5 teams in that time span - yeah, he's definitely the reason they lost those games (not). They lost because they played more experienced, physical, and tougher teams than they played in the first 5.

I wish he had made his mind up sooner, but I hope he finds what he's looking for. Kind of shitty to leave the team mid-season though, oh well.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:44 pm

69MG wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:05 pm
Here's my own, very speculative (and maroon-colored glasses) take:
Sy has wanted to transfer for a while now but MM was able to convince him to stay. They got word from the NCAA that Dibaji's waiver will be approved so MM let Sy know that he should go if that's what he really wanted.
I hope you’re right. UMass is due...or should I say over due...to catch a break!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:50 pm

69MG wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:05 pm
Here's my own, very speculative (and maroon-colored glasses) take:
Sy has wanted to transfer for a while now but MM was able to convince him to stay. They got word from the NCAA that Dibaji's waiver will be approved so MM let Sy know that he should go if that's what he really wanted.
That's creative!
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm all for guys who want to play for UMass staying at UMass. 'Bye Sy.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:03 pm

jrdupe wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm

so I say this in jest...but the more I think about it, have you ever seen the kid smile? he always seems so mad. Before he joined the team, they all seemed so loose...dancing on the bench, joking around with each other...seems like a lot of that stopped when he got back. Maybe he was a bad influence in the locker room. Hopefully they get back to playing loose and having fun now.
He definitely didn’t fit with this team, tough loss in the short term with the injuries but frees up the 3rd scholarship to add a big in this recruiting class

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:40 pm

^ Not exactly. We have 2 recruits signed and now have 2 slots for them (Baptiste and Chatman). Multiple outlets have reported that we are still looking for a big, and I am behind this 100%. That means one more player has to leave. I'm not ready to speculate at this point.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Why not? In case you haven't noticed, it takes absolutely no preparation or knowledge in order to speculate.

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm
^never mind that they played the defending national champ, two top 100 KenPom Ivy teams, and 3 other P5 teams in that time span - yeah, he's definitely the reason they lost those games (not). They lost because they played more experienced, physical, and tougher teams than they played in the first 5.
He may not be THE reason, but they haven’t been the same since he returned and, quite honestly, he has been pretty terrible. At minimum, they win the St. John’s game if he wasn’t in there. He also basically threw away the ball against S. Carolina and did little against Yale. It seems likely that the weird delays over his returning to play or not might have been a negotiated return. Whatever he was going through personally, the staff must have had at least some doubt over his ability to contribute and were waiting to see if he was ready. Thus, the ever shifting time line of his return. The ripple effect has been obvious. Samba’s play has suffered and Santos and Baptiste’s minutes have gone down. I met his mom in Vegas and she was great and I love every dude who puts on the UMass jersey, but it seemed clear rather quickly this season that he was turning into a bit of a poison pill, his fault or not.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:34 pm

69MG wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:40 pm
^ Not exactly. We have 2 recruits signed and now have 2 slots for them (Baptiste and Chatman). Multiple outlets have reported that we are still looking for a big, and I am behind this 100%. That means one more player has to leave. I'm not ready to speculate at this point.
Clergeot is gone too. They’ve been talking about adding a 3rd player (in particular a big) for next years class forever now, it’s not speculation

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:53 pm

jrdupe wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Captain Obvious points out that there's always more smiling, dancing, and joking when winning. OTOH, I thought Sy presented difficulties in the rotation, although I liked having an option bigger than Samba (who seems to need minutes to get rolling, so getting him more minutes could be a plus), and I liked having an option in case Tre and Djery were unable to play for some minutes (e.g., foul trouble). A-10 opponents may require 2 bigger guys; hoping that's Dajabi.

Re: the comment on Keon: He has a year of eligibility left after this season, but I guess he's expected to graduate and move on. Would love to see him stay. He continues to impress me.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:03 pm

It's pretty clear from Jay's recent interview that McCall loves Keon. Maybe it's CJ who will be leaving. Don't see why he would stay if this is how it's gonna be. Regarding Sy, someone here watched one of his h.s. games and was concerned by his lack of energy and apparently negative attitude.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:03 pm
My guess - he found out he wasn't starting the opener. Maybe he wanted to transfer after last season and they told him to come back and he would start. I don't know. I do know that it wasn't grades. It wasn't a "family issue" that required him to leave campus for any period of time. It was very clear he was the one deciding when he wanted to come back.
Everyone giving me grief for posting this all I have to say is Image