What will we look like in 2018-2019?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: What will we look like in 2018-2019?

Post by 69MG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 am

^^ We can always use another shooter. I hope you're right. That means he'll probably take minutes from McLean, Hayward or Wood (maybe someone else?) but I don't think the total changes much.

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:52 am

69MG wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 am
^^ We can always use another shooter. I hope you're right. That means he'll probably take minutes from McLean, Hayward or Wood (maybe someone else?) but I don't think the total changes much.
My guess is unique sees very limited minutes. I also think keon is probably the first sub off the bench if not a starter

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:56 am

My guess on starting lineup

Holloway
Laurent
Cobb
Pipkins
Clergeot
Pierre 6th man

i do not see McClean playing all that much as he is at best 5th option in our 3 guard lineup. Then again, I wouldn be surprised if we see stretches of 4 guard lineups and even at times 5 guards.

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:12 am

stevemaz wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:56 am

Holloway
Laurent
Cobb
Pipkins
Clergeot
Pierre 6th man

i do not see McClean playing all that much as he is at best 5th option in our 3 guard lineup. Then again, I wouldn be surprised if we see stretches of 4 guard lineups and even at times 5 guards.
Not sure the #2 freshman 3-pt shooter in the country will be coming off the bench.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:18 am

^ MM loves Pierre and Carl has earned a starting spot. Also, I don't think he wants to start two undersized guards. I think the 6th man will be determined by the opponent/game situation. Our roster is so deep we can plug in a different 6th man for almost any need.

As an aside, MM mentioned that he will use McLean when we need defense and rebounding from the guard spot. Who knows how often that will happen. Anyway, it's nice to have options for a change.

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:27 am

69MG wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:18 am
^ MM loves Pierre and Carl has earned a starting spot. Also, I don't think he wants to start two undersized guards. I think the 6th man will be determined by the opponent/game situation. Our roster is so deep we can plug in a different 6th man for almost any need.

As an aside, MM mentioned that he will use McLean when we need defense and rebounding from the guard spot. Who knows how often that will happen. Anyway, it's nice to have options for a change.
That is why I'm so excited for this seasons options galore

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:36 pm

stevemaz wrote:

Holloway
Laurent
Cobb
Pipkins
Clergeot
Pierre 6th man

Pierre is starting...Wood is getting meaningful minutes

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Where did you hear McCall yesterday?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:22 pm
Where did you hear McCall yesterday?
He spoke in the Commonwealth Club yesterday before the football game.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:26 pm

capezona wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:12 am
stevemaz wrote:

Holloway
Laurent
Cobb
Pipkins
Clergeot
Pierre 6th man

Not sure the #2 freshman 3-pt shooter in the country will be coming off the bench.
#1 freshman 3pt% and #5 overall in the country. He's starting.

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 pm

If I had to guess the points per game situation, I'd probably think something like (give or take a few):

Pipkins: 15 - Obviously our best player but won't have to put the team on his back quite so much.
Pierre: 12 - Should score the ball in more diverse ways with increased strength/confidence inside the arc, but same "problem" (good problem) as Pip applies - a lot of people to share the ball with this year so his total should be about the same.
Holloway: 9 - Has the potential to be a 12-15 ppg guy but I'm going to remain skeptical until he shows us he can play more than 25 mpg.
Cobb: 8 - Seems to be a pretty smooth scorer and McCall/his teammates think highly of his game. I see no reason not to be optimistic about him for now.
Clergeot: 7 - Very strong and fast - everybody can see that - and it sounds like he can really attack the basket. I'll keep my guess at 7 though because I don't think he'll start and I'm not sure what his jump-shot looks like (could be fine, I just don't know).
Laurent: 5 - Definitely think he'll be out there a lot and will even be our starting 4, but it doesn't seem like we'll need him to be a scorer considering who will be out there with him. Think he'll carry more of a well-rounded line with a healthy amount of assists and rebounds.
Baptiste: 5 - Much more developed and game-ready than Chatman or KTM and his post-presence/rebounding should get him plenty of minutes, especially if Holloway has his usual stamina problems.
Diallo: 5 - Should be given the minutes to make an impact because of his versatility (is it a stretch to say that he could play the 1-4?).
Hayward: 4 - I believe in his athleticism and shot, I just don't know how much he'll see the floor if Pierre/Clergeot/Cobb/Diallo are all healthy and he has to share PT with them.
Wood: 4 - Same thing I said about Hayward applies, except instead of all those wings it's Pip he'll have to share minutes with.
Chatman: 3 - Think he's the hardest player to gauge since we aren't really hearing much about where he's at developmentally. He and Diallo will be the main options for relieving Laurent though, and he will probably get to relieve Holloway sometimes too (at least before Baptiste arrives).
Unique/KTM: 1 -Should get some opportunities because of his defense and rebounding ability, but he won't have to score very much besides cleaning up O-rebounds and on fast breaks. KTM still seems like he has a ways to go before he looks like a natural out there, but our front court will be relatively thin before Baptiste is ready, so he'll probably hear his name called occasionally.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 am

Brendan F. Quinn
‏Verified account
@BFQuinn
Follow Follow @BFQuinn
More
Tomorrow is the first day of practice for the 2018-19 college basketball season.
Is anyone on campus able to take a peek tomorrow and let us know if any players are injured and not practicing (KTM, McLean)?

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Do you think Wood is getting meaningful minutes because they want Pip to play off the ball more? Or is he that ready to contribute from day one? I was always expecting Diallo to get the most run out of the freshman but I guess his position group is also the deepest on the team.

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:09 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 am
TheOFFSeason wrote:

Do you think Wood is getting meaningful minutes because they want Pip to play off the ball more? Or is he that ready to contribute from day one? I was always expecting Diallo to get the most run out of the freshman but I guess his position group is also the deepest on the team.
I feel like we will want the ball in Pip’s hands to start the play. Even if he’s not a “true 1,” he just flat out makes plays. I think Wood getting 10 minutes in relief for him would qualify as meaningful though.

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Slapthefloor93 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:09 pm
MJatUM wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 am
TheOFFSeason wrote:

I feel like we will want the ball in Pip’s hands to start the play. Even if he’s not a “true 1,” he just flat out makes plays. I think Wood getting 10 minutes in relief for him would qualify as meaningful though.
Perhaps on a team with not enough minutes to go around, the freshman won't get all that many minutes. Clergeot sound awfully good, but as someone said above having 2 undersized players on the floor at the same time isn't best (although if these 2 are Pip and Clergeot it could often work). So I think Wood gets fewer minutes that he "should".
The consensus (which isn't to say this will definitely happen) is to see Pip, Pierre, Holloway, Laurent and Cobb start. I think Clergeot would be best to replace Pip if/when needed. Hayward seems a logical replacement for Pierre (big 3-pt threat). McLean might replace Cobb (athletic guard to defend and rebound). Diallo or Chatman could fill in for Laurent. and of course KTM for Holloway. In reality, it almost certainly will not work this way. There will be tons of variations. Wood isn't in my 1-for-1 guesses, but will play, particularly because the schedule has many lesser teams coming to Amherst, where I think UMass's talent will give Coach McCall plenty of minutes to spread around. He's bound to experiment with combinations, including some unexpected ones. The minutes question against the likes of Georgia, Providence, S.Illinois may not resemble minutes vs. Pine Bluff, FDU and Quinnipiac.