New UMass Basketball Podcast

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: New UMass Basketball Podcast

Post by Old Cage » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:31 pm

We have a promise of one tonight.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

https://soundcloud.com/user-402910953

Dropped Friday night. They took a bye week with the team and then came back on Friday instead of the usual Wednesday.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 am

^
Don't you mean we? 8)

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am

https://twitter.com/curryhickssage/stat ... 39136?s=21

It looks like the podcast group is looking to raise a little capital so they are not taking a loss on this endeavor and get some new equipment etc.. recently were able to sit down and talk to Matt about the team and this upcoming season.
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

They are hoping to get Cal. I'll be impressed then. :P

Hey, seriously, Guys, go get em'!

Edit: Here's the new McCall interview that was just released: https://twitter.com/TheBennettK/status/ ... 3947002881
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 am

I know a lot of people on this board will be happy that McCall refers to the town in which the University resides as Amerst. No hard H.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Old Cage wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am
They are hoping to get Cal. I'll be impressed then. :P

Hey, seriously, Guys, go get em'!

Edit: Here's the new McCall interview that was just released: https://twitter.com/TheBennettK/status/ ... 3947002881
A lot to read between the lines on McCall's comments on each player. Also some interesting comments on the 13th scholarship. Well worth the half hour of listening. Nice job Bennett.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Great podcast, very well done

Love Coach McCall. Guy talks the talk but more importantly walks the walk. Genuine, straightforward, and extremely dedicated. Can't wait to see this team reap the rewards of their hard work. This guy is the real deal

Wonder who they might get with that 13th spot, but I think they'll add some more size up front
The E sho, best show in town

capezona
Senior

Post by capezona » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:15 pm

"A definite possibility the 13th scholarship will be filled." Said he likes having a scholarship open in July in case someone reclassifies who can help the team, especially in the front court. Good times are coming!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:41 pm

I'm surprised the McCall interview isn't being discussed in here more. If you come here to learn about UMass basketball, there's no reason why you wouldn't listen to the interview.

Here are some things we learned from the interview:

Randall West will be on the fball team, and MAY join the bball team after the fball season is over, but nothing is decided, they'll cross that bridge when they come to it.

Reading between the lines a little bit, it sounds like they're trying to get Pipkins to be more of a PG and true facilitator, in addition to his ability to score. This reinforces the notion that he'll be the starting PG.

Also reading between the lines on this one a bit, but I get the impression that Laurent & Cobb will be starters and play heavy minutes, with Clergeot & Hayward playing significant, but somewhat fluctuating, minutes, depending on the opponent/situation.

McCall talked a lot about culture, and other things about running a D1 bball program that are really fascinating to hear and make you appreciate just how intelligent, organized, and passionate McCall is.

The last thing, is the 13th scholarship. It was a little unclear to me if McCall was talking in general terms about loving having a scholarship to use in July, or if he was talking about specifically this year, and specific recruits. He talked about how kids reclassify all the time, especially in New England at the prep schools. It sounded like he was talking about a specific recruit that they really liked who recently reclassified into 2019, but might be able to go back to 2018. My first thought was Wildens Leveque, but he reclassified into 2019 last year. I did a little digging, and the only names I could come up with who might make sense are Ricky Lindo, and Justin Winston... both are big wing forwards who are slated to take a post-grad year at one of the New England prep schools. McCall also talked about some 5th year guys floating around, but that didn't sound nearly as specific or likely.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:02 am

I interpreted his nice to have a sch Larship n July as just a general sentiment not targeting a specific player. He sounds confident in his abilities to identify the next Carl Pierre type player that flies under the radar a bit and is content to have that schollyready to go if opportunity presents itself but will only use it for the right situation. He did clearly state he’d want to use it for a front court guy.

Great interview. I need to listen again to comment on his individual player thoughts because he ran through it pretty quick but clealy Cobb and Laurent stood out as probable starters. He also sounded excited about Diallo’s progress “tomahawk dunking in July” so I except he is on track to contribute next year. Agree he also is clearly pushing Pip to get to the next level as a point and distributor with his comment that “you’ve let the league in scoring, check that box”. I’d hope and expect next year Pip actually scores less, with better efficiency and has more assists. A lot more talent around him. And lastly clearly MM absolutely loves Carl Pierre, and so do I as a fan, sounds like he is the prototype player in this system with his work ethic, attitude combined with talent. Oh forgot he sounds reallly optimistic on the big man RH and he’s in the best place mentally he’s been.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 am

UMassHoops wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:02 am
I interpreted his nice to have a sch Larship n July as just a general sentiment not targeting a specific player. He sounds confident in his abilities to identify the next Carl Pierre type player that flies under the radar a bit and is content to have that schollyready to go if opportunity presents itself but will only use it for the right situation. He did clearly state he’d want to use it for a front court guy.
Listened again to that segment, I agree when he started it sounded like a general statement about liking having a scholarship to use in July because of all of the reclassifying that happens in New England... but then he started getting into specifics that sounded like he has a specific guy in mind: "Now all of a sudden someone's in the 2019 class that we really really like, he may reclass back to 2018 if he can do it." He then sort of switched gears a little talking about 5th year guys who are still "floating around" and he could add one if they're a frontcourt player. Initially it seemed like the frontcourt player comment was in reference to adding a 5th year, but upon listening again I think you're right, it wasn't a comment specific to 5th years.

natwam2547
Senior

Post by natwam2547 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am

Agree on everything except for Hayward. Sounds like he is ways away from where McCall wants him to be. Still plenty of time, but aside from hitting some shots, seems like his role with be limited unless he can play the physical game McCall wants him to play.

Pipkins
Pierre
Cobb
Laurent
Holloway

Clergeot
Diallo
Wood
Chatman

McLean
Hayward
KTM

is how I'd see the depth chart looking right now.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 am

Natwam I agree on your tiers there except I am thinking KTM and Sy will both be alternating between tier 2 and 3 to start the season. McCall didn't sound very confident in where KTM is in the understanding his role on the offensive end. That backup big role is completely up for grabs right now IMO.
NilesGold wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 am

Listened again to that segment, I agree when he started it sounded like a general statement about liking having a scholarship to use in July because of all of the reclassifying that happens in New England... but then he started getting into specifics that sounded like he has a specific guy in mind:
I completely agree Niles. When I was listening it almost sounded like he had somebody in mind that would reclassify. Even if he does have someone in mind and they don't reclassify this year, I think that "hitting a home run with Carl Pierre" (McCall's words) is reason enough to leave one open. Obviously you don't always have that luxury but his attitude towards that 13th scholarship completely changed my thoughts on it. Hopefully they can get someone to flip and having Pierre as a perfect example of someone that was going to go to a PG year and instead came in and made a huge impact as a freshman. Only problem is unless that guy is capable of playing the 4 or 5 there's almost certainly not going to be many minutes to be had this season.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 am

^ This is going to veer off from the original post in this threat a bit, but bear with me.

For anyone who doesn't follow players/coaches on social media, Coty Greene (S&C coach) revealed that Sy Chatman arrived on campus about 10 days ago weighing 209 lbs. A week later he was up to 225 lbs. Chatman is no traditional back to the basket center, but with his athletic ability and already up to 225 lbs, he could very well play the big man role on this team in regard to defense and rebounding.

If Chatman can fill the big man role, that could conceivably open the door for UMass to want to add another bigger wing. Or even if Chatman is still really more of a wing, maybe McCall wants to have a slew of big wing players who can switch almost everything on defense. After doing some digging, my best guess is that McCall was referring to Ricky Lindo.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ricky-Lindo-46036829/