2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by NilesGold » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:36 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:30 pm What makes you think these two, Niles? Just a hunch or have you heard something.
Also, Gasperini just started following 3 UMass MBB manager Twitter accounts, which is kind of a weird thing to do if you're not at UMass, or at least strongly considering going to UMass.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:47 pm

NilesGold wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:36 pm
DoctorJ wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:30 pm What makes you think these two, Niles? Just a hunch or have you heard something.
Also, Gasperini just started following 3 UMass MBB manager Twitter accounts, which is kind of a weird thing to do if you're not at UMass, or at least strongly considering going to UMass.
That's interesting. Scott also started following TB, I read. So maybe those are the two. But again, I really like DeGray. I like Scott too.
Refuse To Lose!!!

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:25 pm

NilesGold wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:21 pm
TheOFFSeason wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:03 pm There isn’t as much 5x5 being done in practice once the season starts as most people might think...add a walk on or 2 and they would not have a problem with 11 eligible and 1 sitting out.
Take the 11 players they have right now(assume Noah is eligible as that is what it looks like) and assign them the minutes you think they should/will play next year and then add it up. Then add 8-10 minutes for a backup center that they will get...adding another wing just to fill an open scholarship doesn’t help if it is a guy like Degray who doesn’t upgrade the talent level. If someone as good as Femi comes available then go for it because they will significantly upgrade the talent level.

A person who reads this board but doesn’t post said the scholarship could go to Richards who won’t qualify and have to sit out...that would be a perfect scenario as he could really help the ‘21-22 team.
My mistake for a poor choice of words, I meant "in practice" figuratively, not literally for their practices. You have to prepare for the unexpected... like injuries and players not performing up to expectations... let's say Santos and Garcia are injured, that leaves you with 9 players... maybe Dominguez and McCrory struggle and need another year before they're ready to play for a good A10 team... now you have 7 players you can count on... I don't think holding a scholarship completely unused for a team in UMass' current situation makes a lot of sense.
That’s quite a scenario, but a good solid 7 with two freshmen that play multiple positions behind them(I think it’s safe to say they can be 8th or 9th men from having seen them) would be a perfect scenario. Signing another freshman to a scholarship who would play behind Walker and DD, just to have numbers is not a good use of that scholarship in my opinion. They should be getting involved with higher level players next year and the year after and that scholarship would be important.

For the person who asked who Richards is...he is a 6’9/6’10 athletic center who can get out and run, defend and also finish decently...he played with Femi and it looks like he won’t be eligible as a freshman.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:46 pm

Carl Spackler wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:42 pm
TheInsider wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:01 pm Not sure a guy that was DPOY will want to be a 10min a game backup
Tre’s offensive game is so versatile that maybe he spells Tre for 10 and plays alongside for another 10....
Ya he would play more than 10 minutes a game.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:06 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:25 pm
NilesGold wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:21 pm
TheOFFSeason wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:03 pm There isn’t as much 5x5 being done in practice once the season starts as most people might think...add a walk on or 2 and they would not have a problem with 11 eligible and 1 sitting out.
Take the 11 players they have right now(assume Noah is eligible as that is what it looks like) and assign them the minutes you think they should/will play next year and then add it up. Then add 8-10 minutes for a backup center that they will get...adding another wing just to fill an open scholarship doesn’t help if it is a guy like Degray who doesn’t upgrade the talent level. If someone as good as Femi comes available then go for it because they will significantly upgrade the talent level.

A person who reads this board but doesn’t post said the scholarship could go to Richards who won’t qualify and have to sit out...that would be a perfect scenario as he could really help the ‘21-22 team.
My mistake for a poor choice of words, I meant "in practice" figuratively, not literally for their practices. You have to prepare for the unexpected... like injuries and players not performing up to expectations... let's say Santos and Garcia are injured, that leaves you with 9 players... maybe Dominguez and McCrory struggle and need another year before they're ready to play for a good A10 team... now you have 7 players you can count on... I don't think holding a scholarship completely unused for a team in UMass' current situation makes a lot of sense.
That’s quite a scenario, but a good solid 7 with two freshmen that play multiple positions behind them(I think it’s safe to say they can be 8th or 9th men from having seen them) would be a perfect scenario. Signing another freshman to a scholarship who would play behind Walker and DD, just to have numbers is not a good use of that scholarship in my opinion. They should be getting involved with higher level players next year and the year after and that scholarship would be important.

For the person who asked who Richards is...he is a 6’9/6’10 athletic center who can get out and run, defend and also finish decently...he played with Femi and it looks like he won’t be eligible as a freshman.
sorry had a brain fart when I asked about Richards...played at Commonwealth and from what I understand if his grades were there would have attracted some bigger schools. Would be a good get, even though he has to sit a year.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:12 pm

Gasperini is an interesting cat - his PPG went down every season but RPG went up every season. Usually that’s a sign that his fundamentals got better but his quickness has faded. 3 year starter - I think that he would be a solid get for this team.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:41 pm

Or it could just mean that his role changed.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:34 pm

I saw Gasperini play this year. He’d be a serviceable backup, but not much upside.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:37 pm

It's just a one year thing anyway. The longer term solution is Tre, right now. Unless he gets all Camby year 3 on us in a hurry. But I have hopes we will have Tre 3 or four years. Someone needs to back him up though and sometimes play next to him.
Refuse To Lose!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:43 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:25 pm That’s quite a scenario, but a good solid 7 with two freshmen that play multiple positions behind them(I think it’s safe to say they can be 8th or 9th men from having seen them) would be a perfect scenario. Signing another freshman to a scholarship who would play behind Walker and DD, just to have numbers is not a good use of that scholarship in my opinion.
I could certainly be misinformed, but I was under the impression that DeGray was the best player on Woodstock this season. Even if he isn't better than Dominguez (or Walker), I'm under the impression that he brings a little different element to the table.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:44 pm

His game seemed different than DD. He's lefty and lanky. DeGray is righty and stocky. I think they would compliment each other on the same team. But what do I know. I'm just a fan. I get most of my info from this board and youtube.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:49 pm

Cross Vaughn off the list of potentials.
Rider grad transfer Dimencio Vaughn is down to a final three of Georgia, Ole Miss and UConn.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 pm

Wow, he got some high profile places. Wonder what Scott's list is at?
Refuse To Lose!!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:22 am

If DeGray was the best player at Woodstock why does his recruitment seem lackluster. Is he guy that can score but cant defend?? I agree with Offseason, save it or take a guy like Richards.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:23 am

^ I couldn't tell you for sure, recruiting can be strange. I believe he had a few P5 offers last year before electing to come back to Woodstock. Maybe he was holding out for a specific offer that never materialized.