2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by inthescoop » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm

North Texas is surprising for Ousmane, I thought he was going to end up at Iona.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 am

I see a pattern with these last 2 recruiting cycles, apart from the obvious TB/Woodstock set up. Seems like they are embracing the reality that 2-4 kids are going to be transferring out every year. As a result they’re trying to fill out the roster with the most talented kids available and let playing time/future playing time sort itself out through competition. The guys that get beat out will most likely move on, and you’re left with the strongest guys remaining.

I’d say the conventional wisdom is you recruit starters, bench guys, and end of bench guys. I don’t see them just taking guys to fill out the back of the roster anymore.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 am
I see a pattern with these last 2 recruiting cycles, apart from the obvious TB/Woodstock set up. Seems like they are embracing the reality that 2-4 kids are going to be transferring out every year. As a result they’re trying to fill out the roster with the most talented kids available and let playing time/future playing time sort itself out through competition. The guys that get beat out will most likely move on, and you’re left with the strongest guys remaining.

I’d say the conventional wisdom is you recruit starters, bench guys, and end of bench guys. I don’t see them just taking guys to fill out the back of the roster anymore.
Perhaps but Bergeron was pretty adamant that they were going to go deeper down the bench than last year.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by inthescoop » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:34 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 am
I see a pattern with these last 2 recruiting cycles, apart from the obvious TB/Woodstock set up. Seems like they are embracing the reality that 2-4 kids are going to be transferring out every year. As a result they’re trying to fill out the roster with the most talented kids available and let playing time/future playing time sort itself out through competition. The guys that get beat out will most likely move on, and you’re left with the strongest guys remaining.

I’d say the conventional wisdom is you recruit starters, bench guys, and end of bench guys. I don’t see them just taking guys to fill out the back of the roster anymore.
I don’t think so. The coaches never had a full roster that they collectively loved. Now that they have it, I think the goal going forward now is to keep this squad tight and grow them to their fullest capability. Sure we may have 1 or 2 but it won’t be seeing these full roster turnarounds anymore.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am

inthescoop wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:34 am
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 am
I see a pattern with these last 2 recruiting cycles, apart from the obvious TB/Woodstock set up. Seems like they are embracing the reality that 2-4 kids are going to be transferring out every year. As a result they’re trying to fill out the roster with the most talented kids available and let playing time/future playing time sort itself out through competition. The guys that get beat out will most likely move on, and you’re left with the strongest guys remaining.

I’d say the conventional wisdom is you recruit starters, bench guys, and end of bench guys. I don’t see them just taking guys to fill out the back of the roster anymore.
I don’t think so. The coaches never had a full roster that they collectively loved. Now that they have it, I think the goal going forward now is to keep this squad tight and grow them to their fullest capability. Sure we may have 1 or 2 but it won’t be seeing these full roster turnarounds anymore.
As far as 2021 recruiting goes we will have two spots open

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 11209
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:23 am

As it stands
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 am

uz2b-len wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:23 am
As it stands
Correct but 2 open spots is guaranteed

User avatar
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2475
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Western Mass.
Contact:

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:32 am

Are we assuming there will be no more defections this season?
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:40 am

I can almost guarantee there will be more. Yes, he will play a lot of guys if he presses and runs all game as is the plan. However, guys 12 & 13 still won't see many minutes and will be tempted to move to a program where they will get to play. Who they are is hard to guess at this point.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:51 am

69MG wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:40 am
I can almost guarantee there will be more. Yes, he will play a lot of guys if he presses and runs all game as is the plan. However, guys 12 & 13 still won't see many minutes and will be tempted to move to a program where they will get to play. Who they are is hard to guess at this point.
I could see 12 & 13 being buggs and Gasperini

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:21 pm

^ I have Gasperini as #11. Unless he stinks, he'll get his 10 minutes, he knows that's his role and he'll be gone anyway at the end of the year. I think it will be a battle to stay out of spots 12 and 13. It's also possible that it changes from game to game depending on matchups. This roster is potentially more versatile than we have seen in a long time.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by inthescoop » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:56 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am
inthescoop wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:34 am
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 am
I see a pattern with these last 2 recruiting cycles, apart from the obvious TB/Woodstock set up. Seems like they are embracing the reality that 2-4 kids are going to be transferring out every year. As a result they’re trying to fill out the roster with the most talented kids available and let playing time/future playing time sort itself out through competition. The guys that get beat out will most likely move on, and you’re left with the strongest guys remaining.

I’d say the conventional wisdom is you recruit starters, bench guys, and end of bench guys. I don’t see them just taking guys to fill out the back of the roster anymore.
I don’t think so. The coaches never had a full roster that they collectively loved. Now that they have it, I think the goal going forward now is to keep this squad tight and grow them to their fullest capability. Sure we may have 1 or 2 but it won’t be seeing these full roster turnarounds anymore.
As far as 2021 recruiting goes we will have two spots open
Yep - I was referring to players transferring not seniors leaving.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:02 pm

They’ll run deep this year, and that’s my point on the turnover. I feel like some of these guys aren’t going to be getting the minutes their talent levels dictates, and they will be looking for a bigger opportunity as their career progresses. Nothing wrong with it, just the reality of the times. And I don’t see chemistry issues arising necessarily, they were able to keep it together last year even with some guys not playing as much as they wanted.

If come next year no one leaves early, that’d be awesome. But that’s highly unlikely. My point is that it’s inevitable nowadays that kids are going to leave, so they are stacking the roster with real players instead of 12th men and letting the chips fall where they may.

This is all just quarantine speculation either way, but that’s the way I’m seeing the recruiting strategy.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5925
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Old Cage » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Say what? https://scoopmantv.com/2020/04/11/rifen ... pril-15th/

"Rifen Miguel’s search for a new home post-JUCO appears to be coming to an end. The second-team All-Panhandle Conference forward announced that he would be deciding between UMass, Ohio, Jacksonville State and Milwaukee-Wisconsin."

What year we talkin' bout here? Still recruiting 2020? What else don't we know? He has our logo on his twitter page.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

User avatar
rsox1221
Senior
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:37 am
Location: Shrewsbury via Southborough
Contact:

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by rsox1221 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:16 pm

Old Cage wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:07 pm
Say what? https://scoopmantv.com/2020/04/11/rifen ... pril-15th/

What year we talkin' bout here? Still recruiting 2020? What else don't we know?
To my knowledge and I believe it's correct, UMass is done for this year.

Just because a kid has UMass (or any school) in his "top choices" doesn't mean that school has room for him or will take him. Kids these days love making their decisions into their own version of "The Decision".

I don't believe we'll see him pick UMass because UMass can't take him. His offer from UMass was to hedge in case they didn't get DeGray but they did.

Post Reply