2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TruBluMaroon
Senior

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:57 pm
Sounds a bit like old PC star Ryan Gomes. That’s probably more than a bit optimistic at my end but...
Why would you say that!! The Consensus First Team All American!!!??!! Ryan Gomes...You need me on that wall!!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:56 am

inthescoop wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 am
Almontis wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:10 am
Yep, big Preston fan, as well. Coach B said on twitter Preston was arguably our second best player in conference play this year. I agree. Yet projected starting lineups on this board don't include him, which is curious.

I like Dibaji, too, and think he'll definitely benefit from experience and continuity. I think he pressed a little too much on offense when he first came back. He seemed to settle in as the season wound down, no longer jacking threes right off the bench, but feeling the game out, and picking his spots better. He'll be good as things continue to click for him.

I watched Coach Bergeron's press clinic he did online and talked about how nobody should be able to play in more than 4 minutes increments if they're going all out on the court i.e. the press, and keeping fresh guys out there was a way to keep a deep team playing and happy.

It sounds like they're going to double down on the press this year and look to go full throttle. It'll be nothing if not interesting, and it could be downright exciting, provided we have a season to play. God, I hope so and think we will by November.
Is that the right comment for a coach to say? It is extremely biased and in my opinion definitely not the case.

Well, there’s a reason we had so many players transfer yet again this offseason.

Soon these comments will be accepted by the Woodstock locker room and we’ll be off for success. I know this comment sounds like I’m hating but deep down, I truly respect what Tony has done for our program and I’m extremely excited for next season.
Yep I’m responding but this time it’s because I have an honest question...it’s an interesting discussion. I don’t necessarily love everything TB says and does but this time I kind of agree with him and I don’t think something should really be considered biased if there is a good argument to be made that it’s true. I think all things considered Santos was the second best player in conference play. Now maybe that says a little bit about the drop off after Tre but it also says something about Santos’ development. Who do you think was our second best player? I can’t come up with another answer.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:57 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 am
Jackson96 wrote:
Sounds a bit like old PC star Ryan Gomes. That’s probably more than a bit optimistic at my end but...
Why would you say that!! The Consensus First Team All American!!!??!! Ryan Gomes...You need me on that wall!!
I guess you missed the second sentence. And I have no idea what you are saying by quoting A Few Good Men, Schtickboy.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:11 am

Almontis wrote:

It sounds like they're going to double down on the press this year and look to go full throttle. It'll be nothing if not interesting, and it could be downright exciting, provided we have a season to play. God, I hope so and think we will by November.
I'm all for the press if we can keep guys fresh and have the talent to do it. We all saw what happened last year when it didn't work. I still have nightmares about the South Carolina game. We should be deeper this year so I'll be optimistic.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Jackson96 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:57 am
TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 am
Jackson96 wrote:
I guess you missed the second sentence. And I have no idea what you are saying by quoting A Few Good Men, Schtickboy.
A poor mans Ryan Gomes, I actually like that comparison.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Almontis wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:44 am
inthescoop wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 am
Almontis wrote:
Yep, big Preston fan, as well. Coach B said on twitter Preston was arguably our second best player in conference play this year. I agree. Yet projected starting lineups on this board don't include him, which is curious.

I like Dibaji, too, and think he'll definitely benefit from experience and continuity. I think he pressed a little too much on offense when he first came back. He seemed to settle in as the season wound down, no longer jacking threes right off the bench, but feeling the game out, and picking his spots better. He'll be good as things continue to click for him.

I watched Coach Bergeron's press clinic he did online and talked about how nobody should be able to play in more than 4 minutes increments if they're going all out on the court i.e. the press, and keeping fresh guys out there was a way to keep a deep team playing and happy.

Is that the right comment for a coach to say? It is extremely biased and in my opinion definitely not the case.

Well, there’s a reason we had so many players transfer yet again this offseason.

Soon these comments will be accepted by the Woodstock locker room and we’ll be off for success. I know this comment sounds like I’m hating but deep down, I truly respect what Tony has done for our program and I’m extremely excited for next season.

Geez, inthescoop. You sound triggered. Relax, buddy. There's nothing wrong with the comment.
Zero percent triggered. I am coming from a neutral perspective. I know Preston is a player that can do it all, and won't necessarily be known for his scoring, but a player who scores 2 points or less in 6 conference games (4 or less in 8 games), cannot be the second best player on the team during conference play. There is no doubt favoritism in that comment. Preston was very inconsistent this season, on both ends of the court, but when he was on, we could definitely see the potential in his game, and I'm excited to have him going forward.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:01 pm

I think the problem is no one was consistent enough to be a clear #2

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 pm

TheInsider wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:01 pm
I think the problem is no one was consistent enough to be a clear #2
Right, it’s very subjective, so why mention anyone at all in that context as a coach?

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Maybe he likes to pump up "his" guys.. maybe he was trying to motivate.. who knows. I would agree when Preston could actually stay in a game he was the second best... his shooting numbers were way better than anyone else's besides Tre in conf. His attempts though were much lower because he sat for long stretches in foul trouble.

BR72
Junior

Post by BR72 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:10 pm

Agree. And the quote suggests that TB said "arguably", not definitively stating that he was the 2nd best player. That strikes me as a perfectly reasonable and non-biased comment.

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:29 am

Im completely against the press. It does not work against teams with equal or better talent as it leads to too many easy buckets.

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:50 am

Preston might not be the clear second best in A-10 play, but his stats were clearly the second best (see "conference advanced" stats here https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2020.html.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:39 am

bobolink wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:50 am
Preston might not be the clear second best in A-10 play, but his stats were clearly the second best (see "conference advanced" stats here https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2020.html.
What am I even reading there? Is that saying that Baptiste was our 6th best player last season?

And per 100 possessions, Higginbottom is #2. Very advanced stuff - never looked at it that way. :lol:

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:00 am

Who do you think was our second best player in conference play, Scoop?

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:37 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:00 am
Who do you think was our second best player in conference play, Scoop?
I would probably have a different answer every day.

Last thing I’ll say, in any high level of competitive basketball, the player goes out and busts his ass every day in practice and during the games; they want to the best they can be but, also beat out their teammates for more playing time. When a player feels that they deserve more playing time and are out performing another player but the coach does not and will not ever see it that way, your attitude will change. If you sense biasm, it will cause resentment in the locker room. Of course, I am not in the locker room to witness this but seeing who transferred this year, the writing is on the wall.

But again, as a fan, I can say this and also believe that our program is moving towards the right direction. It’s not personal, it’s business. Coaches are getting paid to win.