2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:52 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:31 am
Juice Stand wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 am I think this whole discussion about Gasperini is kind of hilarious. What we needed was a backup center to give Tre a breather. What we got was a backup center to give Tre a breather. At the very least, he's 6'10" and has three years of D1 experience. We saw what Tre could do with Djery as a backup, and I loved Djery, but he was essentially in there to protect the rim and grab rebounds while Tre slugged some water and caught his breath. If Gasperini can do that and make a couple layups, then he'll be equally as effective as Baptiste.

We already have a potential A10 POY in Tre, what we needed was a backup. That's what we got.
You could argue we should have someone good to fill in in case Tre gets injured, but frankly if Tre gets injured we're mostly fucked no matter who fills in for him. So yeah, I agree with you, Gasperini should be able to do what we need.
Correct. It would be nice to have all star players at every position and as their backups, but that's called Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and we're not that. The roster is pretty darn talented as is, so it's ok to have a backup that knows he's a backup. Personally, my wish list for the off season was down to getting a center to serve as Tre's backup, and Gasperini will do just that, so I'm pleased with the signing.

Welcome to UMass, Mark, and good luck on your graduate work!

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:16 am

A very huge welcome to "Moscow Mark" !!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:29 am

Roadtrip wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:36 am Still hope the last spot goes to a freshman big to develop as Tre's replacement.
This... this more important than signing our 7th wing

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:37 am

Roadtrip wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:36 am Still hope the last spot goes to a freshman big to develop as Tre's replacement.
I'm on board with this, or someone that is a 3/4 that's a bit stronger on the 4 side of things.

I'm also on board with them holding it IF they can't find someone with the right talent to fit next year's roster.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 am

TheInsider wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:29 am
This... this more important than signing our 7th wing
My take on this is that in theory it's a fine strategy, but there's not a huge pool of big men with A10 potential (even those who need development) who are willing to be the 3rd string center or sit a year at UMass... if we can find someone like that, great, but I think we might be able to get an even better big man next year. Richards is the sort of case that might make sense for UMass, but who knows if he wants to sit a year here, maybe he'd prefer to go JUCO.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am

Pg: Noah, Kolten, Garcia

SG: Carl, TJ, Buggs, Garcia

Wing: TJ, Santos, McCrory, DD, Carl

PF: Walker, DD, Santos, McCrory

C: Tre, MG

If they sign another freshman where would you see him playing? If they are a project to develop then you are tying up a scholarship that could be used to sign a high quality potential starter next fall. For those who want Degray, where do you see him playing? He was leaning towards signing with Charlotte that last I checked...if the staff thought he was better than DD they would’ve got him first.
If you think he could be good down the road you are not realizing that they can sign someone down the road who is much better as this team starts to win. The biggest reason they haven’t been winning 20+ games regularly is the talent level(even more than the coaching) and a lot to do with that has been just filling scholarships to fill them(The 4 transfers MM took his first couple months on the job). If you want to play in the NCAA’s, and win a game or two, you need get starters that can get you there and backups that are ok with that role. I think Buggs, Kolten and Santos will be able to be 8th-10th men and push the starters while not affecting chemistry. Degray doesn’t upgrade your talent level, he gives you another backup...that scholarship needs to be used by a talent upgrade next year.

The first guy at each position I listed above are who I think the starters will be at this point...I have them averaging 120-140 minutes a game. The other 7 players need to fill 60-80 minutes. MG, Santos and JG are going to be good for 35-50 minutes I’m guessing. There will be times, in my opinion, that a Noah or Kolten could be out there with CP, TJ, JG and Tre for a couple minutes at a time. You could also see a pg with Walker, DD and Santos along with Tre. Their goal is to be that interchangeable...outside of Noah, Kolten, Tre and MG, everyone else is going to play multiple spots in both the press and the offense.

This wasn’t aimed at you Roadtrip, I’m just bored and thought I would give my own take on recruiting and next years team. Interested in different takes from others

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 am

I wan't more depth up front. DeGray is better than DD and his game is different. He or Dibaji would start.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:14 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am

If they sign another freshman where would you see him playing? If they are a project to develop then you are tying up a scholarship that could be used to sign a high quality potential starter next fall. For those who want Degray, where do you see him playing? He was leaning towards signing with Charlotte that last I checked...if the staff thought he was better than DD they would’ve got him first.
If you think he could be good down the road you are not realizing that they can sign someone down the road who is much better as this team starts to win. The biggest reason they haven’t been winning 20+ games regularly is the talent level(even more than the coaching) and a lot to do with that has been just filling scholarships to fill them(The 4 transfers MM took his first couple months on the job). If you want to play in the NCAA’s, and win a game or two, you need get starters that can get you there and backups that are ok with that role. I think Buggs, Kolten and Santos will be able to be 8th-10th men and push the starters while not affecting chemistry. Degray doesn’t upgrade your talent level, he gives you another backup...that scholarship needs to be used by a talent upgrade next year.

The first guy at each position I listed above are who I think the starters will be at this point...I have them averaging 120-140 minutes a game. The other 7 players need to fill 60-80 minutes. MG, Santos and JG are going to be good for 35-50 minutes I’m guessing. There will be times, in my opinion, that a Noah or Kolten could be out there with CP, TJ, JG and Tre for a couple minutes at a time. You could also see a pg with Walker, DD and Santos along with Tre. Their goal is to be that interchangeable...outside of Noah, Kolten, Tre and MG, everyone else is going to play multiple spots in both the press and the offense.

This wasn’t aimed at you Roadtrip, I’m just bored and thought I would give my own take on recruiting and next years team. Interested in different takes from others
Everyone seems confident Noah will be eligible next year, and I don't disagree. What I'm curious about is what everyone's reason why is?

Is the belief that the one time transfer rule will be in place? Or do we think Noah is going to get a waiver for immediate eligibility?

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am

Exactly the starting lineup I would have predicted as well for next season.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am Degray doesn’t upgrade your talent level, he gives you another backup...that scholarship needs to be used by a talent upgrade next year.
If they use the last scholarship in 2020-21, in 2021-22 UMass will have 2 open scholarships from departing seniors, and I think you can bank on at least 1 person transferring, bringing the total openings up to 3 or more. I just don't see a ton of value in holding a scholarship open in 2020-21.

I certainly don't think it's the end of the world if UMass doesn't get DeGray, and if they do maybe he's not a talent upgrade (but maybe he is?), but I do think he could provide a different element than DD or DW. Hard to see DD or DW as a 5 if Tre/MG are injured or on the bench, DeGray on the other hand might be able to manage it in spurts or against some opponents.

Basically, at this point I don't think UMass can go wrong as long as they're honest & transparent with the players. Holding the spot would be my last choice, but with 12 presumably eligible players it's not the end of the world. If you reach on a player, as long as they're not a distraction in the locker room and they know that if things don't work out the staff might ask them to transfer, there's no downside.

If there's even a small chance that Noah won't be eligible, I'd want UMass to grab another PG, maybe even Darius Ervin.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:49 am

I'm still in the Richards camp, especially if he has to sit a year due to grades.
2020-2021 - Redshirt year. Practice against Tre and learn the offense.
2021-2022 - Take over the backup role from Gasperini and play the 5 at times with Tre at the 4.
2022-2023 - 50/50 or better that Tre declares for the draft after his junior year. Richards get the starting spot.
Richards then has 2 more years to play, so he gets to start for 3 years (if he's good enough) and just be a backup for 1. That would seem to be a good scenario for him and for us.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:54 am

Have we even offered Richards???
Refuse To Lose!!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:05 am

DoctorJ wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 am I wan't more depth up front. DeGray is better than DD and his game is different. He or Dibaji would start.
If the staff thought DeGray was better than DD why didn't they go hard on him before DD. Also if Degray was better, why UNCC

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:18 am

DeGray is quite a bit better and different. We did offer him first.
Refuse To Lose!!!

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:20 am

DoctorJ wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 am I wan't more depth up front. DeGray is better than DD and his game is different. He or Dibaji would start.
I would like to understand a little more why you think this?

Also, they seem to have plenty of depth for how they want to play.