2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:05 pm

I heard him interviewed and they mentioned him having help with other guys at that position getting minutes, keeping him more fresh. He sounded very comfortable with the press. Talked about his improvements on defense. Sounded like a good charachter guy. Hey, he is coming here knowing he will be a backup to Tre. Give him credit.

Interesting that Niles called this signing on the button. I hope his suggestion that DeGray could be on his way also pans out.

Anyone know when DeGray plans to announce?
Refuse To Lose!!!

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:10 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:05 pm
69MG wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:50 pm
I looked at his stats compared to Djery, the player he's replacing. Gasperini played a much bigger role at American than did Djery at either UMass or Vandy. Looks more skilled offensively and comparable on the boards. Blocks aren't always a good measure of defense but we don't have anything else to go by unless there is a stat I'm not aware of.

Djery (sophomore year at Vandy and 2 years at UMass)
14 minutes
2.5 points
3.5 boards
1 block
50% FG

Mark (3 years at American)
25 minutes
10 points
5 boards
.5 blocks
49% FG
You are aware that UM is a higher level of competition that American and Vanderbilt is above UM.
Level of competition doesn’t always matter for instance Tony Gaffney (3.6 ppg 3 rpg at BU) Etienne Brower (5.2 ppg 3.5 rpg at BU) and Chaz Williams (9.8 ppg 4.2 apg) all ended up being major pieces on some of the most successful teams in recent memory despite putting up decent/minimal numbers at lower level schools

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Reading up on Woodstock Gold. DeGray was leading scorer with 19 per game, Cairo McRory had 15 ppg.

Deyondre D is planning on coming to UMass in mid-May.

I liked Venning's being a huge load but he can't shoot for beans, Gasperini is a better one-year fix.

What to do with this last scholarship? Ronnie or Richards, I think.
Last edited by DoctorJ on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:35 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:59 pm
bobolink wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 pm
Don't know much about Gasperini, but like a guy his size who can hit 71% on free throws. He got to the line more last year even with his minutes down a little. Shot 47 3s in his first season, only 7 in his second season and went 0-3 from distance this year (all with poor %s).
His minutes per game and points per game went down each year, the anti-Kevin McHale.
Once again, Mr Sunshine weighs in..
"I wrote a column and it went national"

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Battle Ax wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 pm
DoctorJ wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:29 pm
Here is some video of Rifin Miguel, whom we have offerred:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/rifen-miguel
I like the fact that he uses the backboard
Seems like he knows how to finish through traffic.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:33 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:59 pm
bobolink wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 pm
Don't know much about Gasperini, but like a guy his size who can hit 71% on free throws. He got to the line more last year even with his minutes down a little. Shot 47 3s in his first season, only 7 in his second season and went 0-3 from distance this year (all with poor %s).
His minutes per game and points per game went down each year, the anti-Kevin McHale.
the above says to me he can fit in a role directed by coaches, as will be needed for Tre's backup, and have some discipline in shot selection. Am I looking with maroon-colored glasses at a glass half full? Of course!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm

I think that practicing against Tre will make Gasperini better.

I watched some Woodstock hoop today. Damn McRory looks good. Saw a little DD too. Now I'm glad we didn't take Venning. DeGray is the man, though.
Refuse To Lose!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:16 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 pm
This is all meaningless until we get the full assessment from Niles breaking down:

- How's his motor?
- What is his shooting stroke like
- What about his Basketball Ball IQ
- Is he a character guy?
- Is he a volume shooter?
- Game tapes
- Most importantly, what current or past player does Nile find him comparable to?
How does "Basketball Ball IQ" differ from basketball IQ? Is this some newfangled thing I'm not aware of?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't actually care what I have to say about Gasperini, or well, anything else. Too bad, I thought we had moved past our petty arguments, guess not. I suggest you mute me so you don't actually have to see any of my posts, for which you have such disdain. And don't bother responding, I'll be muting you now.

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 am

I think this whole discussion about Gasperini is kind of hilarious. What we needed was a backup center to give Tre a breather. What we got was a backup center to give Tre a breather. At the very least, he's 6'10" and has three years of D1 experience. We saw what Tre could do with Djery as a backup, and I loved Djery, but he was essentially in there to protect the rim and grab rebounds while Tre slugged some water and caught his breath. If Gasperini can do that and make a couple layups, then he'll be equally as effective as Baptiste.

We already have a potential A10 POY in Tre, what we needed was a backup. That's what we got.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:08 am

Juice Stand wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 am
I think this whole discussion about Gasperini is kind of hilarious. What we needed was a backup center to give Tre a breather. What we got was a backup center to give Tre a breather. At the very least, he's 6'10" and has three years of D1 experience. We saw what Tre could do with Djery as a backup, and I loved Djery, but he was essentially in there to protect the rim and grab rebounds while Tre slugged some water and caught his breath. If Gasperini can do that and make a couple layups, then he'll be equally as effective as Baptiste.

We already have a potential A10 POY in Tre, what we needed was a backup. That's what we got.

This.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 am

Totally agree. A big body with experience. He may not be a shot blocker like Djery but I think he will provide some scoring potential. This may allow Tre to take a couple extra mins each game.

Battle Ax
Sophomore

Post by Battle Ax » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:50 am

Juice Stand wrote:

Agree

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:31 am

Juice Stand wrote:

You could argue we should have someone good to fill in in case Tre gets injured, but frankly if Tre gets injured we're mostly fucked no matter who fills in for him. So yeah, I agree with you, Gasperini should be able to do what we need.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:34 am

Sounds like a perfectly capable backup for Tre. Good enough on offense that it won’t go into the shitter when Tre takes a rest. Not sure how much he’ll help on defense but he’s at least a big body and sometimes there’s something to be said for that.

Nice to get some experience too. Might not have the upside or ceiling (as folks love to say these days) of a younger guy but he’s definitely more ready to play now than any hs big we were possibly getting.

Plus he’s a Mass Rivals guy I believe and that can’t hurt.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:36 am

Still hope the last spot goes to a freshman big to develop as Tre's replacement.