2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by inthescoop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 am

Some quotes from Femi on why he chose Pitt,
“I’ll be playing the point guard and making plays for them, and just being a winner,” he said recently of Pitt.

Of his visit, he said, “I felt like I was in the city again. Everything was just busy, there’s multiple restaurants and the atmosphere.”

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:55 am

I will revisit a discussion from the past on here that might help some understand some of the things that happen when a highly sought after player is making a decision:

1. Our cost of attendance stipend was at the bottom of the A10 when the previous staff was here...I have heard nothing of it going up. This is legal money that schools can offer kids...it can make a difference.

2. Some schools have other ‘resources’ available to them that aren’t legal in the NCAA’s mind but are offered nonetheless. Usually a staff will know what it is up against and will only continue to pursue heavily if they think they can win. Sometimes someone comes in late(St Bonnies gave up on Femi after having him in for a visit) and knocks some early leaders out...I think we all realize this on some level.

3. Some Kids decisions are very much influenced by or run by ‘friends’, AAU programs etc. Legally, an AAU program could have a senior that is so-so and a junior that is much more desirable, an they could put the word out that the junior might want ‘to play with’ the senior in college...basically you help us now and we will help you later. Nothing illegal there but it is shady.

UMass has not wanted to play in the extra’resources’ game so they have missed out on some higher ranked recruits. They have been low on cost of attendance so they have missed out on some others. Last year they made a NCAA legal move by hiring a coach that had influence to bring talent with him. This has been done numerous times, but not always has the coach actually been worth the hire. When URI brought in Jerry DiGregorio to get Odom they were not getting someone with value outside of landing Odom...then they sold their soul by giving him the head job to try and keep him. Luckily they made a good hire with Baron to get the program back on track.
Tony brings value as an assistant even if he didn’t bring Tre and TJ with him(and obviously more since). He has a plan to things that he does and knows how to make his plan work. He also has a lot of experience in skill development. Finally, as polarizing as he is, the people he has created relationships with are very loyal to him and he can tap those resources to get players every year.
When he started after Femi he had a really good chance because he had relationships and that came very close to getting it done. As disappointing as that can be(I think Femi is really good), he and the staff have moved on and made moves that have them set up to win 20+ games next year barring injury.

Also, to address a tweet by Walfish, having many more players from a program like Woodstock is not a big deal since they were sent there from many different areas...often schools will send players to the preps they feel comfortable with. Brewster gets many of their top players that way.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:33 am

^ Outstanding. Thank you. A cut above.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:17 am

Fantastic post of some of the inner workings. Losing out on Femi was disappointing but it seems like he wanted to be in that city atmosphere along with some of the other things Pitt may have offered according to Offseasons post. We are in good shape.. we have shooters, defenders, a battle of good players to be the starting pg and the best post player in the league. The one missing piece is Tre's backup. Offseason did indicate they are bringing in a big

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 am

Honestly, if the restaurants and city atmosphere, and other resources as OFFSeason alludes to were that important, there was no way he was ever coming here. It was a safety net. I want kids who choose UMass for UMass
The E sho, best show in town

Battle Ax
Sophomore

Post by Battle Ax » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:34 am

Floyd wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 am
Honestly, if the restaurants and city atmosphere, and other resources as OFFSeason alludes to were that important, there was no way he was ever coming here. It was a safety net. I want kids who choose UMass for UMass
Totally agree

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:35 am

Floyd wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 am
The city and restaurant stuff etc are a players version of coach speak...can’t really say, so I’ll say this..

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am

Thanks OFFSeason...nice to have context. 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:07 am

Show Me The Money!!!

DanaDingle3
Freshman

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks, TheOFFSeason.

Gotta be frustrating to watch relationships trumped by connections to a 'financial advisor' or something.

When you say UMass hasn't wanted to play in the extra resource game, I'm assuming you mean individual coaching staffs, not the institution itself.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:30 pm

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/w ... 57976.html

The article above concerning the Wichita State debacle(6 transfers including Fernandez) illustrates the problems even established coaches have with their players and don't have the answers!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:37 pm

They got a seventh defection just now. http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020
Refuse To Lose!!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Wow.. that's crazy to see without a coach leaving

Battle Ax
Sophomore

Post by Battle Ax » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:18 pm

tdmass wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:30 pm
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/w ... 57976.html

The article above concerning the Wichita State debacle(6 transfers including Fernandez) illustrates the problems even established coaches have with their players and don't have the answers!
Good article. Thanks for sharing

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:25 pm

^ It's one thing when a bunch of players at the end of the bench leave, but Wichita State lost their #2, #3 and #6 scorers who gave them almost 30 points a game. They also lost their back up center who gave them 4.3 and 2.8 in 10.5 minutes. Fernandes didn't have any stat to speak of but he as highly thought of if you look at Marshall's comments about him.

We've been through it more than once and I'm sure Marshall will figure it out. His track record is pretty good.