2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by inthescoop » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Another SF, just what we need.

I actually like this pickup though, Cleveland State was a deep program last year. He got some playing time every single game. It looks like when he actually shoots the ball he can score, but some games he just did not get the chances or was too timid. Samaki Walker genetics, not bad not bad.

FYI - I have seen approximately :02 seconds of game-time footage of Dibaji Walker, so I know what I'm talking about.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14161
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm

^

Unfortunately that's the direction the game is moving in. We'll continue to see less true 1s and 5s and more guys that can play anything from the 2-4.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TruBluMaroon
Senior
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 pm

69MG wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:02 am
He was a visitor at practice yesterday. I had a chat with Bergeron and asked him who the basketball looking spectator was and he gave me his name. He didn't say anything about us landing him, but he did rave about his abilities. Rave is probably understating how Tony felt about him. I don't know enough about Tony to know if he prone to hyperbole.
You've never spoken with a salesman ? Coach at Cleveland State was fired last month. They hired a new coach two (2) weeks ago.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7887
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 78 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm

inthescoop wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm
Another SF, just what we need.

I actually like this pickup though, Cleveland State was a deep program last year. He got some playing time every single game. It looks like when he actually shoots the ball he can score, but some games he just did not get the chances or was too timid. Samaki Walker genetics, not bad not bad.

FYI - I have seen approximately :02 seconds of game-time footage of Dibaji Walker, so I know what I'm talking about.
If Cleveland State was such a deep team, how the hell did they finish 10-21 and why was their coach fired? This isn't related to Walker at all, but just trying to stick with the facts and avoid hyperbole. I guess they could have been a deep team of mediocre players.
Last edited by 78 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

User avatar
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2103
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Western Mass.
Contact:

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Where is the scholarship coming from???
Refuse To Lose!!!

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5602
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Old Cage » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Son of Samaki Walker! Excellent. Perhaps my favorite Camby moment was when he took an outlet pass over mid-court and came swooping in from the right side for a monster dunk over Samaki. The game was at the Worcester Centrum in the 94-95 season and I was sitting baseline in maybe the second row. The play came right at me. Woof! I just looked at our archives: we were ranked #5 and won 91-76.

Samaki was very highly regarded. I just found this report from a few weeks before our game:

Samaki Walker Goes For a Triple-Double – Jan. 1, 1995
"On New Year’s Day ’95, Samaki Walker, a future Top 10 pick in the NBA Draft, gave a performance those in the rivalry are still talking about. With the Cardinals taking on the no. 5 Wildcats in Freedom Hall in Louisville, Walker recorded the first triple-double in school history with 14 points, 10 rebounds and 11 blocks as UofL won 88-86. The game was close throughout, as Tony Delk dropped in a game-high 23 points for the Wildcats."
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7883
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Maybe this is commonplace, but I haven't seen it before. A different twist on recruiting.

https://twitter.com/nakiaj_hooplife/sta ... 2812362753

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7883
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 pm

A lot of discussion on twitter about whether or not we have too many Woodstock players. I'll let it play out and see what happens. This news just broke tonight as far as I can tell. He's not a Woodstock product and PF is a position of need next year.
Pat Lawless
‏@PatLawless_
1h1 hour ago
More
Mikeal Jones, a class of 2020 PF from @teamrionational (NJ), is down to New Mexico, Saint Joseph’s, Temple, UMass & VCU.
https://247sports.com/Player/Mikeal-Brown-Jones-94267/

Edit: Just saw this post so now I'm confused. Is it us or USF? The other 4 are the same.
Hoops Central
‏@HoopsCentral7
Follow Follow @HoopsCentral7
More
2020 3-Star PF Mikeal Brown-Jones has announced his Top 5: VCU, USF, Temple, New Mexico, and St. Joseph's.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by UMassfan_19 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 am

69MG wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 pm
A lot of discussion on twitter about whether or not we have too many Woodstock players. I'll let it play out and see what happens. This news just broke tonight as far as I can tell. He's not a Woodstock product and PF is a position of need next year.
Pat Lawless
‏@PatLawless_
1h1 hour ago
More
Mikeal Jones, a class of 2020 PF from @teamrionational (NJ), is down to New Mexico, Saint Joseph’s, Temple, UMass & VCU.
https://247sports.com/Player/Mikeal-Brown-Jones-94267/

Edit: Just saw this post so now I'm confused. Is it us or USF? The other 4 are the same.
Hoops Central
‏@HoopsCentral7
Follow Follow @HoopsCentral7
More
2020 3-Star PF Mikeal Brown-Jones has announced his Top 5: VCU, USF, Temple, New Mexico, and St. Joseph's.
It's usf 247 doesn't even list an offer for UMass

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7887
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 78 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 am

I'd be shocked if someone else is already committing here for 2020, given that we are already one scholarship short with those who have already committed.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by inthescoop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:51 am

78 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm
inthescoop wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm
Another SF, just what we need.

I actually like this pickup though, Cleveland State was a deep program last year. He got some playing time every single game. It looks like when he actually shoots the ball he can score, but some games he just did not get the chances or was too timid. Samaki Walker genetics, not bad not bad.

FYI - I have seen approximately :02 seconds of game-time footage of Dibaji Walker, so I know what I'm talking about.
If Cleveland State was such a deep team, how the hell did they finish 10-21 and why was their coach fired? This isn't related to Walker at all, but just trying to stick with the facts and avoid hyperbole. I guess they could have been a deep team of mediocre players.
They were a 10 deep rotation, similar to us last year. I guess you can say, the same type of role Samba and Sy had for us last year is what Walker had for Cleveland State. The team also gave up on their coach, hence why everyone transferred and they only have 4 or 5 players on scholarship right now.

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7883
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 pm

We're still recruiting for 2020.
Mike Simonetta
‏@Mike_Simonetta
56m56 minutes ago
More
Great unofficial visit to UMass for 2020 PG Kobe Elvis yesterday. Big thanks to Cosch McCall & the entire staff for having us!

User avatar
m626t
Senior
Posts: 1600
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:24 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by m626t » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Room will have be made some how or other beyond DB using up his eligibility. It's gonna be a year of speculation for sure.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7887
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 78 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 pm

inthescoop wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:51 am
78 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm
inthescoop wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm
Another SF, just what we need.

I actually like this pickup though, Cleveland State was a deep program last year. He got some playing time every single game. It looks like when he actually shoots the ball he can score, but some games he just did not get the chances or was too timid. Samaki Walker genetics, not bad not bad.

FYI - I have seen approximately :02 seconds of game-time footage of Dibaji Walker, so I know what I'm talking about.
If Cleveland State was such a deep team, how the hell did they finish 10-21 and why was their coach fired? This isn't related to Walker at all, but just trying to stick with the facts and avoid hyperbole. I guess they could have been a deep team of mediocre players.
They were a 10 deep rotation, similar to us last year. I guess you can say, the same type of role Samba and Sy had for us last year is what Walker had for Cleveland State. The team also gave up on their coach, hence why everyone transferred and they only have 4 or 5 players on scholarship right now.
So basically the same thing that happened here in terms of many on the team seemingly giving up on the coach.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7883
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Kobe Elvis was offered by SLU today and Minnesota yesterday. Seems like his recruiting is picking up although he did have quite a few offers already.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/kobe-elvis

Post Reply